Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time?

Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Yes but it is a common business tactic of Tescos to buy up land and not build until another Supermarket threatens to

Tescos have a reputation of buying land to stop compeditors buying and building on it.

They sure do. Bought land here where I am just now, massive site, apparently to build a super store, but we already have a large tesco round the corner.... The site had a super bowl etc. on it, all forced to close, now been vacant for several years....
    I don't think they will ever build there but tried to stop Somerfield.... it was in the local paper that they put in for some outrageous planning permission and it was suggested that they want to stretch the planning process out as long as possible. The Tesco round the corner is not exactly small and suits quite well for the size of town, also there is a super store larger than Wick just 20 minutes from here...
    However, we don't have a Somerfield here at all, as they can't find a suitable site.

I dont want to start rumors. But the store that is meant to be built at the mart will only have groceries and electrical. Not clothing.

But then, the old store over beside the Park hotel, will be changed into flats or another business to prevent another supermarket coming in.

But dont take my word!!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Ha, that's exactly what they are doing here.
    Part of their plannning application is to rip the old site down (it's not old though...) and build housing. Now thats very unlikely to be granted in the next 10 years or so... as the local plan doesn't allow for such changes.

If they really wanted to build on the new site they could just rent out the old site to a company that doesn't belong to the competition, like a storage warehouse type thing or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    I dont want to start rumors.
    .....well this is Caithness!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    I dont want to start rumors. But the store that is meant to be built at the mart will only have groceries and electrical. Not clothing.

But then, the old store over beside the Park hotel, will be changed into flats or another business to prevent another supermarket coming in.

But dont take my word!!
    i heard some time ago that travel lodge had been quite interested in the tesco site...dont know if there was anything in it......but just like everything else its all speculation.....i personally reckon it will be like when they built in wick...nothing but speculation for months then voila suddenly in go the bulldozer an 8mth later tesco appears...if it happens it happens....
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Thats big business for you

Certainly not a childish opinion. It is well documented that there are sites around the country that supermarkets own but are not developing simply to keep the opposition out. Whether thst is the case in Thurso I do not know but nevertheless it is possible due to what has happened elsewhere. Childish no, fair assessment possibly!

YOUD BE SUPPRISED
    A smile is worth more than a million pounds and it sure dont hurt.

It is now against the law for any company to buy land (and not build on it) just to stop another company from purchasing the land. Tesco are going to be building a new superstore on the mart site.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

To be fair to Tesco, it's only 5 months since they obtained permission to go ahead.

Tesco store gets green light

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    It is now against the law for any company to buy land (and not build on it) just to stop another company
    Maybe it is, but Tesco's legal team could drag appeals on this out for a decade without breaking sweat, and all the while blame the lack of action on the original legal action.

All this whinging about Tesco - if certain councillors had not lived in the dark ages, we'd be shopping in ASDA at Pennyland for quite a while now - at least we HAVE got a blinking Tesco, just need the fuel to stop the continuing rip-off and price difference between Thurso/Wick

Far from being childish it is a proven fact that in other areas Tesco have landbanked to keep competitors out. While this may not be certain in the Thurso case it is certainly not to be dismissed with such silly comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    Far from being childish it is a proven fact that in other areas Tesco have landbanked to keep competitors out. While this may not be certain in the Thurso case it is certainly not to be dismissed with such silly comment.
    Totally agree Cattach though can,t think of a site anywhere else in the north that Tesco have acquired and taken so long to build on.Cannot see them ever building as they appear to be quite content with a small store in Thurso and a larger one in Wick,.Build a larger one in Thurso which will stop all the people coming through to Wick and that one will run at a loss along with the new one.Don,t think Caithness could support two large Tesco stores.
    Now if it was Asda!!!!!!!!!!!!! wishful thinking.Ah well it is not to far to Tain.

Ah...

"If only we had an Asda/bigger Tescos/high speed rail link/less incomers/more flights/no ugly people/dual carriageway to Inverness/hover underpants....."

It would be grand, wouldn't it?

....Wouldn't it?

Default asda

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time?
    hi i was told that tesco had bought the land but had rented it to asda
    c jones

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast