Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    You couldn't build a bigger school on the site of the current Tesco because there isn't enough space. You could do it if you built the school on the Millbank playing fields so why would Tesco not keep it simple and just build their new superstore there? Would it be easier to get planning permission for a school at Millbank than a superstore there?

Anyways, a new school would surely cost way more than a new superstore. Why would Tesco want to suffer the expense?
    Crayola its just a rumour. it's properly not true like all the other rumours. We shall find out when tesco actually do something.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    Crayola its just a rumour. it's properly not true like all the other rumours. We shall find out when tesco actually do something.
    Ah but this is allegedly a 'fairly strong rumour'.

Ah but this is allegedly a 'fairly strong rumour'.
    Aye so cazmanian minx says. Just a rumour.....for now. I'll believe it when i see it
    Last edited by Vistravi; 21-Jun-09 at 23:33.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Just a rumour.....for now.
    Every tittle-tattle helps.

Every tittle-tattle helps.
    Are you saying your a gossip Crayola? (Feigns shock)

My philosophy is 'try something new today'.

Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time?
    I didn't think this subject would go away. Is it just the recession or are Tesco strictly dancing? What do you think?

Tesco denies delaying build of superstore

They could be or they could not be.
    Only tescos know the answer to that question
    Last edited by Vistravi; 30-Jan-10 at 00:09.

Quote Originally Posted by cezzy1234 View Post
    hi i was told that tesco had bought the land but had rented it to asda
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    Tesco rent to Asda? I take it you are having a wee joke, or extracting the wee??

The Loafer
    It's true, though the deal fell through when Asda refused to pay the £5 delivery charge for the legal papers.

Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Thats big business for you

Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.
    Certainly not a childish opinion. It is well documented that there are sites around the country that supermarkets own but are not developing simply to keep the opposition out. Whether thst is the case in Thurso I do not know but nevertheless it is possible due to what has happened elsewhere. Childish no, fair assessment possibly!

I didn't think this subject would go away. Is it just the recession or are Tesco strictly dancing? What do you think?

Tesco denies delaying build of superstore

(Thanks for the link Crayola)

Some folks may not be able to open the link, but at least there's a bit more info, and hopefully the days are getting less where we out west can save about £3 a tank filling..

"A CLAIM that Tesco plans to delay the building of its new supermarket in Thurso has been denied by the company.

A spokesman for the store yesterday expressed his surprise at the suggestion which cropped up at Tuesday night's meeting of the town's community council when vice-chairman Bert Macleod said he heard the supermarket was to be delayed by two years.

Chairman Bob Earnshaw said he also had been told the building of the store - planned at the former auction mart site in the town - was to be deferred, although he acknowledged that could be the result of the recent bad weather or the downturn in the economy.

"Nothing is happening at the site at the moment and I think we should write to Tesco and ask them what the position is," he said.
    Members agreed with that suggestion.

A Tesco company spokesman told the John O'Groat Journal there are no plans to delay the project.

"We are currently tendering for the demolition contract to clear the site of the existing buildings. When the site is cleared we will move the new store forward onto our development programme," he said.

The 8.5-acre site between the railway station and the town's high school has lain derelict since November 2006 when United Auctions sold it to Miller Developments.

The new 25,000 square-foot supermarket is to include a four-pump petrol station as well as a car park and new access on to Ormlie Road. The development is set to create 50 jobs. Tesco intends selling off its current store at Millbank when the new store is completed.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7781/Tesco_denies_delaying_build_of_superstore.html

Default Time scale

How long have they had the site 4 years and they are now talking about preparing a tender for demolition. How many more years before the move to build, they haved stopped the opposition so are not worried hows long it takes.

YOUD BE SUPPRISED
    A smile is worth more than a million pounds and it sure dont hurt.

It is now against the law for any company to buy land (and not build on it) just to stop another company from purchasing the land. Tesco are going to be building a new superstore on the mart site.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

To be fair to Tesco, it's only 5 months since they obtained permission to go ahead.

Tesco store gets green light

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    It is now against the law for any company to buy land (and not build on it) just to stop another company
    Maybe it is, but Tesco's legal team could drag appeals on this out for a decade without breaking sweat, and all the while blame the lack of action on the original legal action.

All this whinging about Tesco - if certain councillors had not lived in the dark ages, we'd be shopping in ASDA at Pennyland for quite a while now - at least we HAVE got a blinking Tesco, just need the fuel to stop the continuing rip-off and price difference between Thurso/Wick

I've changed my mind about siting Asda at Pennyland. It was bad politics by Asda and their supporters because they were bound to get a lot of objections. If they'd applied to build it just past Manpower you would probably be shopping there now.

I've changed my mind about siting Asda at Pennyland. It was bad politics by Asda and their supporters because they were bound to get a lot of objections. If they'd applied to build it just past Manpower you would probably be shopping there now.
    I don't know the in's & out's of this but why didn't Asda get permission and Tesco did?

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast