Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 581 to 600 of 600

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

  1. #581
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Should the lack of any response after four weeks lead me to conclude there has been no physical building activity on the former mart site? Sadly I fear so.

    The lives of the ghosts of sheepies past will not then be brightened by the cacophony of continuous ringing of tills at Christmas?

    In the lifetime of the Org, Wick has enjoyed a massive new Tesco store, a substantial retail park, a brand new high school, two brand new primary schools, a big new council building and the architecturally splendid national nuclear archive. Have I missed anything?

    Meanwhile Thurso has enjoyed er, nothing at all? Is it really nothing? Nothing on that scale anyway.

    There have been developments at Scrabster but these have direct effects on relatively few of the people of Thurso.

    I am delighted for the town of Wick and its wonderful people. The new facilities are well earned and richly deserved. But what is the future of Thurso and its people? I wonder if there is one. A bright one?

  2. #582

    Default

    It is nice to see the tables turned and Wick getting its share for a change. For far too many decades everything went to Thurso, this is now a rebalancing. I am sure things will switch again in the future.

    I feel for the Thurso people as they are also deserving of shiny new things, however, when only one place was able to get these things, I am thoroughly glad it is Wick.

    Just a note to Crayola, Thurso has enjoyed the development of a cinema, a substantial redevelopment of the college which still has a way to go, a upgrade of the Lidl site, and also an upgrade of leisure facilities at its pool, to name a couple. Just remember that if a project which had been put forward for Thurso had overwhelming public support, as opposed to being so split, then the councillors would not be knocking them back. If people want new projects then they should stop being against them when they are put forward.

    Thurso should also remember the huge increase in tourist numbers, not only through being a sea hub to Orkney but also the substantial amount of cruise ships visiting Scrabster, all of which directly impact the town. When that is the case, it is up to the people of Thurso to use those opportunities as not every positive change has to be done through retails parks, which many would argue sucks the life out of town centres.

  3. #583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland RS View Post
    Just remember that if a project which had been put forward for Thurso had overwhelming public support, as opposed to being so split, then the councillors would not be knocking them back. If people want new projects then they should stop being against them when they are put forward.

    Thurso should also remember the huge increase in tourist numbers, not only through being a sea hub to Orkney but also the substantial amount of cruise ships visiting Scrabster, all of which directly impact the town. When that is the case, it is up to the people of Thurso to use those opportunities as not every positive change has to be done through retails parks, which many would argue sucks the life out of town centres.
    The people of Thurso are clueless when it comes to tourism every project i have seen proposed has seen nothing but objections . The few people who have wanted to try and develope the tourist industry have faced nothing objections to their plans . You see more advertising for john o groats and orkney in Thurso than you do for Thurso itself

  4. #584
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Thanks Highland RS for your list of Thurso developments. I thought the Org might have predated the cinema but evidently not. I also forgot Caithness Horizons although that’s not a new build.

    Some proposals for big new builds were on the wrong sites and consequently failed to make it through the planning stage. Or even as far as the planning stage in some cases. And sadly there were no Plans B. This problem persists even today. Or are there recent paradigm shifts to give us hope?

    The boost in tourist numbers from the NC 500 should have been manna from heaven for the upmarket hospitality industry in Thurso. But Thurso hasn’t benefited as it should because of the ‘planning for the wrong place’ problem. Is it too late? I’d like to think not.

    Friends from Glasgow/Edinburgh who drove the NC 500 recently reported that Thurso was ‘dead’. They said there was nothing going on in the town. They stayed at Forss House. As does my sister on her increasingly rare forays home. And my best pal from school usually stays there too.

    Is anyone still dancing on Asda’s grave at the Mart? Or on Tesco’s grave at the Mart? Will there be an Aldi grave there soon or are rumours of its death premature? Let’s hope so.
    Last edited by crayola; 26-Nov-17 at 13:17.

  5. #585
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Wick, Caithness
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    Don't forget the huge developments at Wick harbour with the redevelopment of the Stevens building and changes to the harbour getting ready for work boats etc. All this to supply the Beatrice Field of wind turbines. Up to 65 jobs in the construction period for the buildings to be completed in 2018. The possible 150 - 200 jobs on work boats as the turbines are constructed . Then up to 90 permanent jobs in the newly refurbished buildings connected to the turbines.

    All the projects you mention have taken many years to come to fruition and possibly it is coincidence that they are all happening in a relatively short period of time. Undoubtedly there was big push to transform the fortunes of Wick after many decades of decline. It was very frustrating how long it took to get the schools and then finally once I became Chairman of the Education committee we got to the point where it was possible for many reasons to come forward with plans to renew all the Wick schools. Capital spending on that scale was not just about improving the education facilities but giving a boost to the local economy. The other spends on council offices and the nuclear archive had similar aims for the economy. Unconnected but very welcome was the development of the wind farms at sea.

    Additionally we have had big spends going on but not so obvious for the new connection over the Moray Firth plus the new substations in various parts of the county. Added to that Wick harbour has seen the importing of turbines for several wind farms onshore giving some badly needed income for the harbour. Wick harbour continues to develop their plans and we will see more things happening in coming years.

    New house building is still happening in Wick at various sites.

    The down side has been the closing of the Tax office and run down in health services and CHAT is opposing several changes that may come forward by NHS Highland as that may reduce well paid jobs in the transfer of the balance of care as the health board put it We can do without reductions at the Town and County hospital or more reductions in the Caithness General. We want them to bring more clinics to Caithness General and find away to improve the number of birth in Caithness since so many are now in Raigmore, Inverness. Health plays a big part in the local economy so we want more dealt with locally.
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 30-Nov-17 at 08:43.

  6. #586
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    175

    Default

    For those who want to keep a scoreboard of how Wick and Thurso fare comparitively in who gets (or loses) what, in todays Groat there is a story that the RBS branch in Wick faces closure next May (the RBS branch in Thurso is not on the list of planned closures).

    http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...e-01122017.htm

  7. #587

    Default

    I have been lead to believe that a local body approached the banks with the idea to have all local banks share one building along with a credit union and community trust , to stop the closures and complete loss of these vacillaties.
    Had to laugh at the Highland Councill say that the best place for a running track is Viewfirth field ,with their track history on projects they're the last folk you'd ask or take advice from . Maybe the track would be better suited next to the school with the ground for parking, would be the right call and not in a residemcail area . Yet again the idiots are running the asylum. Will we never learn .

  8. #588
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecb View Post
    For those who want to keep a scoreboard of how Wick and Thurso fare comparitively in who gets (or loses) what, in todays Groat there is a story that the RBS branch in Wick faces closure next May (the RBS branch in Thurso is not on the list of planned closures).

    http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...e-01122017.htm
    Thurso lost it's Clydesdale earlier this year. I can't see much future for multiple high street banks in our towns.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

    - Charles de Gaulle

  9. #589
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Thurso lost it's Clydesdale earlier this year. I can't see much future for multiple high street banks in our towns.
    My home town is on the list to lose it's branch of the RBS, the problem now will be where will 12000+ people bank?. Once RBS is gone, there will be no banks left in the town, Clydesdale having quit several years ago. When you look at Wick with TSB, Clydesdale, RBS & BoS, makes you wonder how 4 banks actually managed to stay in business with such a small population

  10. #590

    Default

    Cos we have lots of money in Wick 😂

  11. #591
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland RS View Post
    Cos we have lots of money in Wick 
    Only because you are all tight with it lol

  12. #592
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    Had to laugh at the Highland Councill say that the best place for a running track is Viewfirth field ,with their track history on projects they're the last folk you'd ask or take advice from . Maybe the track would be better suited next to the school with the ground for parking, would be the right call and not in a residemcail area . Yet again the idiots are running the asylum. Will we never learn .
    Ha ha dozy, if I had a doubting bone in my body I’d say your latest wardrobe malfunction is putting your nimby streak on show.

    I wouldn’t say Viewfirth field was a crazy site for a running track unless I lived next door to it. And anyway is Viewfirth field no a wee bitty flatter than the high school fields?

    I’m with you on the high school field mind. It’s away from residential areas and it would be good for the school and the college to use.

    And mebbe it’s a wee bitty closer til e new shoppees at e mart.

  13. #593

    Default

    Well some dogs will bark up anything . I dont see the new shoppees ever landing at the mart site , any running track would need a decent sized car park . Funny how all these so called exercise events always need huge parking and changing facilities . Better thinking is needed to solve the problem ,not a bigger mouth or empty head which the council seen to have nonopoly on. Please don't listen to those who have self interest as the carrot they want you to follow ,the mart site may take a little more work but it's got huge advantages .

  14. #594
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    Well some dogs will bark up anything . I dont see the new shoppees ever landing at the mart site , any running track would need a decent sized car park . Funny how all these so called exercise events always need huge parking and changing facilities . Better thinking is needed to solve the problem ,not a bigger mouth or empty head which the council seen to have nonopoly on. Please don't listen to those who have self interest as the carrot they want you to follow ,the mart site may take a little more work but it's got huge advantages .
    Why would they not require changing facilities and car parking?

    PS what's a nonopoly?

  15. #595
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    Well some dogs will bark up anything . I dont see the new shoppees ever landing at the mart site , any running track would need a decent sized car park . Funny how all these so called exercise events always need huge parking and changing facilities . Better thinking is needed to solve the problem ,not a bigger mouth or empty head which the council seen to have nonopoly on. Please don't listen to those who have self interest as the carrot they want you to follow ,the mart site may take a little more work but it's got huge advantages .
    I assume youíre suggesting putting the running track on the field between the high school and NHC which isnít too sloped. The former sheepiesí field at the top end of the mart site would be an interesting suggestion if it werenít on so much of a slope. Could it be levelled at reasonable cost? How about a posh hotel overlooking the mall?

    Sadly the council donít have a nonopoly on empty heads and big mouths. There are some you canít get through to in the town itself. I fear the mart saga still has some time to go.

  16. #596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Why would they not require changing facilities and car parking?

    PS what's a nonopoly?
    Sorry but the IPad has a problem with translation from Norwegian to England/ Caithness slant.

  17. #597
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    Since Thurso is in dire need of an upmarket hotel for the upmarket NC500ers and he-who-shall-not-be-named won’t have one in his field west of his house, I’m warming to the idea of a posh hotel in the top field on the former mart site.

    The view across the mall and down to the town from the higher floors would I think be good and it’s not far from the town centre. Could it be a winner?
    Last edited by crayola; 24-Dec-17 at 02:19.

  18. #598
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Since Thurso is in dire need of an upmarket hotel for the upmarket NC500ers and he-who-shall-not-be-named won’t have one in his field west of his house, I’m warming to the idea of a posh hotel in the top field on the former mart site.

    The view across the mall and down to the town from the higher floors would I think be good and it’s not far from the the town centre. Could it be a winner?
    You just don't give up, do you Crayola ?

  19. #599
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    You just don't give up, do you Crayola ?
    Not like she even lives here either.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

  20. #600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Since Thurso is in dire need of an upmarket hotel for the upmarket NC500ers and he-who-shall-not-be-named wonít have one in his field west of his house, Iím warming to the idea of a posh hotel in the top field on the former mart site.

    The view across the mall and down to the town from the higher floors would I think be good and itís not far from the town centre. Could it be a winner?
    Was that yet another cheap dig from she who thinks she is anonymous? Mart site for an up market hotel lol. Great views from the foyer, bar, restaurant, lounge, function suite and gym, and that walk to town would last in visitors memories for years to come Iím sure. Top floor rooms may just be ok, thatís a good situation for the future of the project and jobs. I will be pushing forward with our vision very shortly and it will then be up to our Councillors to decide the fate of our plans for the west of Thurso.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •