Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    Don't forget the huge developments at Wick harbour with the redevelopment of the Stevens building and changes to the harbour getting ready for work boats etc. All this to supply the Beatrice Field of wind turbines. Up to 65 jobs in the construction period for the buildings to be completed in 2018. The possible 150 - 200 jobs on work boats as the turbines are constructed . Then up to 90 permanent jobs in the newly refurbished buildings connected to the turbines.

All the projects you mention have taken many years to come to fruition and possibly it is coincidence that they are all happening in a relatively short period of time. Undoubtedly there was big push to transform the fortunes of Wick after many decades of decline. It was very frustrating how long it took to get the schools and then finally once I became Chairman of the Education committee we got to the point where it was possible for many reasons to come forward with plans to renew all the Wick schools. Capital spending on that scale was not just about improving the education facilities but giving a boost to the local economy. The other spends on council offices and the nuclear archive had similar aims for the economy. Unconnected but very welcome was the development of the wind farms at sea.

Additionally we have had big spends going on but not so obvious for the new connection over the Moray Firth plus the new substations in various parts of the county. Added to that Wick harbour has seen the importing of turbines for several wind farms onshore giving some badly needed income for the harbour. Wick harbour continues to develop their plans and we will see more things happening in coming years.

New house building is still happening in Wick at various sites.

The down side has been the closing of the Tax office and run down in health services and CHAT is opposing several changes that may come forward by NHS Highland as that may reduce well paid jobs in the transfer of the balance of care as the health board put it We can do without reductions at the Town and County hospital or more reductions in the Caithness General. We want them to bring more clinics to Caithness General and find away to improve the number of birth in Caithness since so many are now in Raigmore, Inverness. Health plays a big part in the local economy so we want more dealt with locally.
    Thanks for the information and update Bill.

I’m aware of all the fabulous feats you achieved for Wick during your long service as councillor and chair of education. I understand the schools wouldn’t have been built without your determination and sustained hard graft over a period of many years. Unfortunately Thurso doesn’t have such a winner.

Observed a white Landrover and covered trailer on the old mart site earlier today. Did not see the company name but they were some sort of "geotechnical survey" services company.

It was in the John O'Groats Journal today the site has been sold, we will seemingly find out what's happening to it in the summer.

I’m getting even better at predicting the future.

A THURSO eyesore site may soon be transformed as a major hospitality company sets its sights on building a four-storey hotel on the town’s former mart area.
    Whitbread is seeking permission for a new Premier Inn on the waste ground adjacent to Ormlie Road that has lain derelict for many years.

A planning application for a four-storey, 81-bedroom hotel with landscaping and car parking has been submitted to Highland Council. If approved, it would be the most northerly Premier Inn hotel in the UK.

Local Highland councillor Karl Rosie described it as “tremendous news” for Thurso.
    The quote is from the Groat: https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk...e-31052018.htm

Detailed plans are on the HC website: https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/appl...iveTab=summary

Ideal for Thurso and handy for the station.

What's the bet that they'll get the planning permission? After all, Thurso needs another hotel or three......

Sincerely hope they get planning permission for this.....Its the perfect location for a travel lodge....Will be excellent for many travellers and will encourage plenty to stay in Thurso as not as costly as hotels.....

Asda is showing interest in the old Homebase and Woolen mill units in Wick , gives them a quick foot in the county .

If Asda come, lets hope they bring a fuel station with them, save me driving down to Tain with countless jerry cans!

Asda online are a lot cheaper than Tesco up here but I miss the wee shops and the paper bags!

Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
    Sincerely hope they get planning permission for this.....Its the perfect location for a travel lodge....Will be excellent for many travellers and will encourage plenty to stay in Thurso as not as costly as hotels.....
    Indeedy. And Thurso needs a new hotel. There hasn’t been a new one for at least 50 years! How old is the Park?

Could also be a location for Crayola's School of Sorcery, Academy of Alchemy or Institute of Invocation.

It could be a joint venture with Megan's Magic Motel at the Mart.

It'll all be good for the town. And about time too.

Wow, is there enough custom for 2 colleges of Jiggery Pokery in Caithness?

The new Premier Inn will bring thousands to Thurso. Not all at once.

Not even a fraction of what the A9 brings to the town

Ah yes, but the Premier Inn will provide overnight hospitality to entice the A9 travellers to linger longer in the town and empty their pockets into local shops, restaurants and hostelries instead of passing through it unabated.

But, if the Premier Inn and Megans Magic Motel at the Mart are both in Thurso, will not this take away trade from Crayolas College of Conjuring at the Campus (of 'e old Week High School) ?

The Magic Motel and the School of Witchcraft would be a joint venture coexisting with the Premier Inn at the Mart. Each would provide customers for the others. Each would bring in customers for the town's shops, bars and restaurants plus jobs for the town. Ideal or what?

I am not sure I used to live here ... I missed so much!

Quote Originally Posted by her00026 View Post
    I am not sure I used to live here ... I missed so much!
    There has always been magic in Thurso. You wouldn't have seen it if you didn't look for it. Did you look up at the stars when you detrained at Thurso station? Was the Premier Inn written in the stars even then? I don't know because I didn't look either.