Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blind chick - any ideas ???

Default Blind chick

Re your quail drinking and sometimes falling in the water. Depending on the size of the quail they could fall in the water and drown. I put marbles in the dish and this prevents drowning. I also use a circular multi hole plastic feeder in to which goes an upturned glass bottle. These can be used with both seed and water -- keeps the food and water a lot cleaner. These feeders were purchased off E-bay and came complete with the bottles. Hope Lionel keeps going from strength to strength. What variety of quail is he or maybe she?

Lionel is a japanese quail.
    I use drinkers that are designed for quail, they can't drown in it. However, Lionel was unable to find the water so I had to design and make my own.

He doesn't use a feeder at all, his food is spread on the floor, otherwise he doesn't get enough food.

He didn't like the drinker at chest height, kept moaning about having to drink that high and kept getting all wet when drinking so back to the old one... see how it goes. Problem is that he runs backwards until he bumps into something to have a poop. Unfortunately it's often his drinker... so I have to clean it out every few hours... I must be mad.

No sign of my daughter or my OH who both wanted me to keep him alive and look after him... ah well, I knew they wouldn't look after him...

I laughed at the thought of Lionel running backwards, bump then poop.....of course you are not mad with cleaning duties...you just love the little guy.

Teeny, I keept loads of quail, they are food and egg producers... not pets. Quails taste delicious, so do their eggs... whatever made me have a quail as a pet, I don't know... whatever isn't 100% healthy usually ends up in the freezer...

Lionel is growing wing feathers now and has started hopping around and flapping his wings like mad. He nearly flew out of his tray earlier. Will have to add a cover to it tomorrow or he will be dog dinner !

He is tuxedo coloured (brown top, white underneath) so won't be able to tell his sex until he either starts crowing or laying eggs. I just so hope he is not a boy or will not crow much because a crowing quail in the house is worse than a cockerel !
    If he was a she I could have the egg for breakfast.. mmmhhh...

Will be lovely if he is a she......this little bird must have something special to give since it is now your special pet.....I think it is so heartwarming to hear of little Lionel/Lionelle and the steady progress from helpless to finding his/her way. great stuff.

Only just found this - how sweet! Any updates?

i've not seen it before either Leanne so thanks for resurfacing - would love to find out how things worked out for Lionel

Lionel turned out to be a girl. We never changed her name and although she was laying us an egg a day we referred to her as "he".
    Lionel is living in the garage with all the other quails now, he enjoys listening to them, is active when they are and goes to sleep when they do. When he was in the house he didn't know when it was day and when it was night. Now he listens to the other birds and settles in his bed when they do.

He now easily finds his food and water and sleeping place, which is an old shoe box filled with saw dust. He still has a teddy, but needed a biger one... I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Lionel was a very happy quail until last week. Unfortunately he has developed a growth in the place where one of his eyes should be. It doesn't seem to bother him too much but I believe that it will effect him soon. I am not sure if it is some kind of infection or a tumor.
    I am giving him a natural anti inflammatory but it doesn't seem to have an effect. He still eats and drinks normally and his behaviour hasn't changed.

Some people might not agree with this, but I am not prepared to spend loads of money at the vets only to find out that he is not going to make it anyway or has to suffer. The kindest thing would probably to cull him before he suffers.

He was to be culled when I first spotted that he had no eyes and it was my daughter and other half who begged me to keep him alive. Both of which don't have any interest in Lionel now. I am the one cleaning him out every 3 days and giving him fresh water twice a day. He can't have sawdust as he would get it all in his water and food and the paper towels get soiled very quickly.

If the family had an interest in him and he was a treasured pet I would see it differently, but he isn't. Yes I fell in love with the guy but can't justify taking him to the vets. OH already indicated that it's not acceptable to run up a vet bill for a quail.

If anybody wants to sponsor a vet visit for him please feel free to contact me.

I have often thought of Lionel and wondered....what a kind little soul laying eggs for you..............If she is not bothered and going about her business as usual, maybe she should be left to get on with life while the growth/lump is not bothering her. Glad you brought her with you and that you obviously look on her as being special..............

Just a quick note that Lionel is still alive and well.
    The lump turned out to be an infection which separated and fell off after a course of oil of oregano that I administered in the water.
    A second infection was cleared up recently the same way as I caught it early this time. Lionel has a very sophisticated way of letting me know when she's unwell: If I talk to her and she talks back and bends her back when I touch her she is fine, if she jumps around and avoids my touch and moans she is unwell.
    During the winter she had to move indoors but she is in the hallway where people pass all the time and she can tell who is passing if they don't speak to her.
    She enjoys walks around the lounge when I clean her out every other day and is generally a happy quail.

so pleased to here that Lionel is well,you have a good heart!

Aw so glad that wee Lionel is okay and still with you. A very heartwarming story.

By the way I am really interested in the oil of oregano you use. Where do you get this and what is it used for?
    I try to use natural remedies for both myself and my pets as much as possible.

Stefan you need to clear out your pm's.

Thanks Liz, I have.
    There are different types of oil of oregano. I tried cheap stuff which didn't wok too well.
    I bought the one I used for Lionel (and myself for joint paint) on amazon. Look for extra strength (30ml = 19.95).
    I put one drop each day into Lionels water for a week, myself I have 3 cups of tea a day with 3 drops each. Works every time for me and worked well with Lionel too.

Thanks ever so much for the info. Much appreciated.

So very glad Lionel is very much still with you and her lump was not ominous and cleared up with your help.
    Have often thought of this wee soul and it is heart warming to hear she is just fine and very much part of your life. If you ever get the time another pic would be really nice as she is such a part of Pets Corner.......must try the oregano, sounds good. Tickly hugs to Lionel and one to yourself for being so kind to her.

Awwwwwww i want one!

Lovely story tho!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

ahhh bless her gorgeous heart,love the teddy!

I have just come across this thread, Stefan it is so sweet. Glad to know Lionel is still doing well
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast