Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bheil Gaidhlig agad?

Default A bheil Gaidhlig agad?

Ciamar a tha sibh?
    Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig.

Really I have been teaching myself. I have some tapes to help with pronounciation and some good books from the Speaking our Language course, but would really like to know if I can get lessons in Caithness.

I am definately a beginner and would love to be able to converse with my friend without using English.

I hope someone can help.

Tapadh Leibh.

Please excuse my reply in English but I daren't yet expose my beginners' Gaelic.

I suppose my answer to your first question is 'not really' and to the second 'I'm fine today thanks.'

I'm also trying to learn but I'm not very good.

Gur math a thèid leibh!

Default Hey!

Would love 2 have a conversation but sadly i cant!

I know 1 phrase which is

Agool Achamosh but im pretty sure thats not how its spelt!

Quote Originally Posted by ClachanHope View Post
    Ciamar a tha sibh?

Really I have been teaching myself. I have some tapes to help with pronounciation and some good books from the Speaking our Language course, but would really like to know if I can get lessons in Caithness.

I am definately a beginner and would love to be able to converse with my friend without using English.

I hope someone can help.

Tapadh Leibh.
    we attend the gaelic mother and toddlers, im sure there is a notice up on the notice board advertising classes for beginners, but would be able to see it unto monday, hope that helps.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Oh, thank you Balto, that would be great.

I don't have kids so can't go and check it out myself, but if you could let me know I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

Oh, thank you Balto, that would be great.

I don't have kids so can't go and check it out myself, but if you could let me know I'd be very grateful.

Thank you
    no probs, will let you know on monday.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

thieildh magharach eil dhonan is achidachi wackytobaccy mcchheeechhh hocch ne heeechnaha?

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default No translation Kenneth?...

Ùill, a’ Choinnich – dé tha seo a ciallachadh?....

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    thieildh magharach eil dhonan is achidachi wackytobaccy mcchheeechhh hocch ne heeechnaha?
    Sin dé tha mi a cluinntinn nuair a tha mi ag èisdeachd air Gallaibh FM, a’ bheil? Agus, cha d’ fhuair sinn an rud a sgriobh thu anns a bheurla, sin carson nach do chuir mi seo anns a bheurla cuideachd! Cuir sin anns a phìob agad 's gabh ceò!

WBG
    Last edited by weeboyagee; 18-Jun-09 at 10:00.

yes I have and will be happy to teach anyone

Ciamar a tha sibh?

I hope someone can help.

Tapadh Leibh.
    Hello there ClachanHope! In answer to your questions:

Tha mi gle mhath tapadh leat, ‘s tu fhèin?

‘S math a tha sin gu bheil thu ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig cuideachd!

Have a look at this website, it should help - http://www.cli.org.uk/ They have courses throughout the year and support classes in Caithness. They used to do Gaelic classes at the Community Education Centre which used to be in the North School - I don't know if these still go ahead but that's one for you to research - there are others on the .org that could advise you I am sure.

There are a number of speakers in the county that could help you - both written and spoken. The choir we have has several young folk learning (and attending University now) Gaelic. If you're interested drop me a PM. If you have learned a language before and can understand the concept of how to "create" the language using the rules, the Hugo's Gaelic in 3 months is excellent but don't go by the false hope that you can master the language in that time, it is purely a good tool to learning. Speaking our Language was a great course and is for the person who has never learned a language before, however, it's not great at helping you "create" the language - in other words, to say things that are not necessarily covered as an actual phrase in the course. Other than that it is great help to the beginner. You need to get in tow with someone or a group of folk who are Gaelic speakers. If you are in the county give us a shout! I see S&LHEN has offered help also!

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/ Sabhal Mòr Òstaig is another helpful place for learners and offer summer courses in Skye.

WBG
    Last edited by weeboyagee; 18-Jun-09 at 10:02.

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    Ùill, a’ Choinnich – dé tha seo a ciallachadh?....

Sin dé tha mi a cluinntinn nuair a tha mi ag èisdeachd air Gallaibh FM, a’ bheil? Agus, cha d’ fhuair sinn an rud a sgriobh thu anns a bheurla, sin carson nach do chuir mi seo anns a bheurla cuideachd! Cuir sin anns a phìob agad 's gabh ceò!

WBG

I cant wait to decipher this haha!

Pipe and smoke are included in it Kenneth - to give you a wee hint!

Cia mar a tha mi ?

Uill, se deagh latha a bh'ann nuair a leugh mi post anns a ghaidhlig air an Org. Mo Bheannachd leat.

Tha mi dochas gun teid leat a cumail sgriobhadh (agus na bith dragh ort mun magaigh-dha a tighinn as an cuid as ain-eolaiche)

An chomhairle as fhaearr a th'agam, airson luchd toisichaidh na ghaidhlig - na bith dragh ort mun mhearachdan, gramar, no eile - nan cumadh ort ag bruidhinn, tigeadh e, agus ni thu deagh adhartas mu dheireadh thall.

Chan eil mi cinntach nan bhiodh sgrudadh air an post, mar sinn feumaidh mi bhith faiceallach mun faclan a'chleachd mi, mus cuireadh iad mo phost as a bhith. (Mar esaimplar "keep going" anns a Ghaidhlig!)

lol lol im spying Caithness FM too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Each View Post
    ....agus ni thu deagh adhartas mu dheireadh thall.....
    Sin an rud Each, mar a chanas tu! Cha robh mise uamhasach math leis a Ghàidhlig nuair a thoisich mi, gu h-airidh leis a ghràmar!

Quote Originally Posted by Each
    .....and you (your Gaelic) will come along eventually....

That's the point Each, as you said! I wasn't very good with Gaelic when I started, especially with the grammar!

WBG

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    lol lol im spying Caithness FM too!!
    Kenneth ma boy - you're Gaelic is fairly coming on!

WBG

the first bit is a bit tricky! But I have the word Kenneth (i knew that bit already) and I've got "Interpretation" The rest could be a mix of words.

Oh this is exciting!

Here's a helpful website - I normally keep it all to myself

http://www2.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/f...=on&tairg=Lorg

Type in the Gaelic word you want translated and hit "lorg" and see what you get!

This one typing in the English word you want translated - but be careful how you use them - Gaelic can be an awkward language to use!

http://www2.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/f...=on&tairg=Lorg

WBG
    Last edited by weeboyagee; 18-Jun-09 at 14:48.

Ùill, a’ Choinnich dé tha seo a ciallachadh?....
    From that Kenneth, my interpretation is that you are a spoilt brat?

close???

- Split the sides laughing! Good try though!

Translation of the first bit! "Well, Kenneth - what does this mean?" (mean - interperate to/translate to mean)

WBG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast