Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Gigs

Default Luke Plum & Peter Daffy

Blackstairs Lounge, Sunday 20th September

Luke Plumb
    of
    Shooglenifty

&

Peter Daffy
    of
    Funky String Band

"Luke Plumb, originally from Hobart and now international mandolin celebrity with the very wonderful Shooglenifty, is a fine tunesmith and astonishing instrumentalist. He had been playing traditional Celtic tunes in pub sessions in Australia when he received a challenge he couldn’t refuse. Shooglenifty was touring Down Under, and needed a replacement for its mandolinist, who’d recently left. Would he care to fill in for a few shows?

Luke is now the band's principal writer, but he likes to change the style a little every now and then with his old pal Peter Daffy. Peter is also a great player, and well known as a maker of very high quality guitars - and Luke's mandolins.

"Luke Plumb displays a blistering virtuisity ... he celebrates the musical ingenuity of the mandolin and the deep resonant poetry within traditional Irish and Scottish music." - Songlines magazine.

Edwyn Collins
    Skinandis
    Oct 15

!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Edwyn Collins
    Skinandis
    Oct 15

!!!
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny north View Post
    Seriously?
    Aye. Seriously!

Support at the Edwyn Collins gig, as far as am aware, comes from the 1990s.

Yep, sure is. Saw the poster tonight.

Broken Records will be in town, too, soon - right?

Edwyn Collins was in Wetherspoons Wick 2 weeks ago for a meal with his Family... Got a wee blether with him & his Wife...Real nice,Genuine people & got a photo with him (the photos on his site with me & ma youngest!)...Glad to see he's on the road to recovery!

On Another note
    Doon Major will be playing the Newmarket Thurso on 3rd Oct
    Then
    Staxigoe Hall??10th Oct
    www.bebo.com/DoonMajor

Broken Records will be in town, too, soon - right?
    Aye, tickets and posters arrived yesterday. I'll put details up asap.

Edwyn Collins
    Skinandis
    Oct 15

!!!

WOW

May have to take a wee dander down to Skins then!

Bingo! I will be there.

Altogether now............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............How much are the tickets??????????????????????????????????
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

PiL are reforming for a tour in December, playing the O2 in Glasgow on December 18th. Managed to cadge an interview with John Lydon for this, too. Scary? Frying marshmallows is scarier.
    Ask him about butter.

No Wobble or Levene though. Shame.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

£15 for Edwyn Collins I believe

He's also playing Helmsdale! Hometown shown fur the Helmie loon.
    Week will inherit the earth.....

Second-last shout out for JBiA @ Comm this Saturday, and, if you're in Inverness the day before, The Ironworks.

Ocean Colour Scene playing in the Assembly Rooms on 13 Feb, good work!!! Was posted on their site today. Tickets on sale from Friday:

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Ocean-.../artist/970348
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk

£28.50 a ticket!!

Bit steep IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by PartChimp View Post
    £28.50 a ticket!!

Bit steep IMO!
    maybe compared to gigs down the line, but this gig's only a short bus journey away.

But how often do people spend 15-20 quid on a ticket for a popular band, take two days annual leave, spend another £50+ to take an 8 hour train journey to Glasgow or Edinburgh and then spend another wad of cash sleeping in a travelodge or kippin on a mates floor just to see one band then do that 8 hour journey back home?

I seen them a couple of years ago at TITP and they were very good IMHO.

Also, people say that popular bands never make the effort to come up north, and if they do then its to play Orkney and they usually ignore Caithness. This band chooses to make an effort and play a gig in caithness, would it be fair to moan about paying an extra 10 or 15 quid?

Sorry if I sound like a gurn but I think its a bargain, especially for a Saturday night when most people wouldnt think twice about payin £8 just to enter a nightclub.
    Last edited by moncur; 21-Sep-09 at 19:03. Reason: extra input

Saw them at Belladrum a couple of monthe ago, well worth the money believe me, quality band on your doorstep for £28.50, start moaning about that and you don't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by PartChimp View Post
    £28.50 a ticket!!

Bit steep IMO!
    Agreed.

Absolute rip off for a bunch of has-beens.