Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Midge Machine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Midge Machine

Hi all,
    as the midge season is well under way I was wondering if there is a company or even a private person, who will hire out a machine.
    Or is there a company that sells them in Caithness?

We have one, but were told to clear an area it has to be on all the time for a couple of months. We got ours second hand from Dingwall.

Exclamation

only thing that will clear midges is an incinerator tony

I don't fancy burning down the whole of Shurrery estate.... might get into trouble slightly...

A few midge machines should make a dent into the population over the years...

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    A few midge machines should make a dent into the population over the years...

Hahaha - I very much doubt it.....

I purely meant a dent in the population around my own property. As midges don't really fly any further than 100m, unless blown about by the wind, killing thousands of females each week will have to have an impact on the overall population.
    Last year I had a few days where I literally couldn't see because of the midges around my head.
    Midges don't have a natural predator, so we have to do something to keep the population at bay, as the weather isn't doing anything to help us.

Germany had -26°C last winter and when I was at my sisters garden couple of weeks a go there wasn't any insects about. It was scorching hot and not a single creepy crawly in sight. Usually they have plenty of them, mostly of the biting mosquito variety.

Shame Caithness doesn't have temperatures like that once in a while. That would help with the midges...

Having some skin allergies I have tried most of the midge repellents I know of, including Avon Skin So Soft, but it makes me itch after a few hours. It's tolerable but not ideal to wear it all through the midge season.

Anybody tried those midge patches?