Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: elementary canal...

Default elementary canal...

some fundamentals from the towpath...
    I call this one 'tunnel vision'

A 3D tree. Or that's how I see it - so strikingly vivid. The Magpie perched aloft drew my attention to its form. England green and pleasant land - the edge of the Peak District near New Mills, Derbyshire.

How green is my valley ? - wish I lived in this house...

'Steelaway' somewhere over the Rainbow...

Percy, nice shots. I have a preference for No1 and 3.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

I had to read the title of the post twice, got it right the second time!

Agree with Deemac, 1st and 3rd photos are my preference too.

Canals . 'Elementary canals'....some say they are only water.

Today we spent the morning walking part of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal - from Uppermill to Diggle. I'll see if the pics are any good....but for now I shall write.

Petrol gauge almost in the red before we set off - We're not quite so flushed as we once were and limit ourselves to a tenners worth a week. The regularity of a decent income is a luxury not to be taken for granted.

Drove up through Stalybridge and Mossley - that old mill town clinging to the hillsides and bottoming out in the valley below. We parked up in Greenfield and found the tow-path of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.

We immediately walked by a new development - 'Frenches Wharf' - a recently constructed mooring area next to a newish pub. Strangely devoid of boats and next door was what looked like an abandoned building site...perhaps a lack of cash flow had scuppered operations for the time being. One day in the future it will be a lovely spot for a pie and a pint for my fellow Lancastrian sophisticates.

Ten minutes further on, as Uppermill beckoned we spotted a Heron perched atop a long dead tree. It was still there an hour and half later when we came back!

Uppermill looked good...quaintish but with the traditional robustness of a Pennine village. Stone cottages and a canalside location whilst above the eyeline soared an elegant railway viaduct. Like my own borough...Uppermill used to reside happily within the Lancashire boundary until planners created Greater Manchester in 1974. We suited Lancashire more and Lancashire suited us. The Bureaucrats decided otherwise.

A plethora of locks now as the ground is rising quickly. The old 'Wool Road 'transhipment' warehouse stands restored - here boats would transfer their loads to horses and carts in the 19th.century to be lugged over the hills to Yorkshire, or down to Manchester's mills lying to the west.

This state of affairs lasted only until the engineers and the business owners got their heads together and built a three mile long tunnel from Staindedge - boats having to be 'legged' through - men lying on their backs propelling the barges forward by their feet, working against the tunnel sides. Gargantuan calf and and thigh muscles no doubt abounded - I'd not have made a good legger....not lately anyway !

The water opened out to what looked like a wide turning circle or similar. I noticed all the wee, wild early summer flowers. Unable to get down myself (if I wanted to get up again) I put the camera on self-timer and lowered it on the strap until it was down amongst the flora.

I'm trying to get Wallet (Mrs.Grimace-Toboggan) in most of the shots as 'Wallet's Walks' is now a prime contender for youtube.com - Julia Bradbury needs to watch her rear. Wallet's coming up fast on the rails.

Having read only last night (a 1977 book entitled 'Canals to Manchester') that this whole stretch was derelict and un-navigable it was an absolute delight to celebrate the vision and the commitment of volunteers and paid professionals alike in their efforts to open up this jewel of a canal. Almost all of the regions canals were 'dead in the water' thirty years ago and have been restored to their former glory. Far sighted deeds for once , with a very positive outcome...I am currently realising canals are a national treasure every bit as valuable as those shiny, twinkly things in the Tower of London.

We terminated our walk after a couple of miles - at Diggle. A few hundred yards short of the tunnel. We'd visited the other end of it last year and even had a little (narrow) boat ride up the first hundred yards or so into the darkness.

Coming back we were going to have a look at the little curiosity shops in Uppermill -money's still there if we see anything we really like.... but the rain started to pour. Wallet claimed the new second hand brolly and I settled for a soaking.

It's only water after all.

The car got us home without fuel replenishment - a twenty two mile round trip and a cold can of Grolsch to assist the ham and tomato sandwiches. Simple pleasures. Life's pretty good.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 10-Jun-09 at 15:29.

Great set of pics Percy and lovin the narrative!

your photos are bringing back some memories of my grandparents house, they used to live in the Wharf Yard at Cromford Canal in Derbyshire and I spent many happy childhood days walking along the canal path with my Nan, spotting kingfishers and sticklebacks

thanks for sharing

Default glad you like 'em...

here are three more from todays stroll....including one of a skinny bloke stood at a window in Uppermill - you see the strangest things - I was particularly drawn to the femur !

Different camera for those three - a Minolta Z1 Dimage - great 10x Optical Zoom 400mm.

Needed a tripod really but never mind.