Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smiddy Inn, Thrumster

Default Smiddy Inn, Thrumster

Excellent. Took my mum there last night and I had roast chicken and she had gammon steak. Huge platefuls, very good price, warm, nice coal fire, very welcoming, good staff. my mum is very fussy but she really enjoyed her meal. so much so, we went again tonight. We had half portions, it was really good. The bar lady was very welcoming and very helpful.
    I dont think i will be able to get my mum away from there. It really is good in every way.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Excellent. Took my mum there last night and I had roast chicken and she had gammon steak. Huge platefuls, very good price, warm, nice coal fire, very welcoming, good staff. my mum is very fussy but she really enjoyed her meal. so much so, we went again tonight. We had half portions, it was really good. The bar lady was very welcoming and very helpful.
    I dont think i will be able to get my mum away from there. It really is good in every way.

Yes you get a good meal there Fran and the place is well known for it's big portions and cosy atmosphere with welcoming staff.

It has always been one of my favourite places -- the meals are consistently wonderful.

Default Smiddy Inn

Yeah defo hard til beat! Love the chicken fillets! Had roast chicken last time and it was yummy!

Default smiddy inn

We ate there as a family about ten days ago and all I will say is we will nevver be back again. ever

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bucket View Post
    We ate there as a family about ten days ago and all I will say is we will nevver be back again. ever

Why?

Default smiddy inn

Food terrible and too expensive tables sticky plates too small. Staff not interested in customers. I simply wont be going back.

Food terrible and too expensive tables sticky plates too small. Staff not interested in customers. I simply wont be going back.

Oh dear that's a shame.Did you complain?

Default Smiddy Inn

Had a lovely old fashioned pub grub 2nite. Excellent & quick. Huge portions & good value for money.

Ive eaten there it is ok

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Oh dear that's a shame.Did you complain?
    Of course I did was met with silence and a stoney stare.

Must give it a try.I love "pub grub" and even though I am a chef i hate all fancy namby pamby foods.Why dress something up with useless "jus"etc when it tastes perfectly good the way it is?
    Will have to stop by and taste their fare.

Food is fantastic but we were stinking of chip fat when we came out. The door to the kitchen was wedged open and the odours came right through the bar. I had to wash everything from my hair to my jeans!

Must agree with Top Cat

Default pub food

i ate there not long ago and i must say even tho it was one of my favourite places it has incresed its prices and it is slowly going down hill it needs a refurbishment staff were nice and fire cosy but wont be back since last time sorry till its cleaned up..sorry....

Thumbs up

The mucky table Im sure if you had pointed it out to a member of staff they would have cleaned it immediately. If they missed a spot as sometimes these things happen a quick word would have rectified it.

If the food was that bad then you wouldnt have wanted a larger plate now would you

Wee sparkle had her eighteenth birthday party in The Smiddy last weekend and it was excellent. The food was great and the kids all had a brilliant time. The staff handled it all perfectly and I for one was more than happy to hand a large bunch of teenagers over to them and have them look after them for the evening. I can assure you it will be worth every penny.

I find the food perfect and the price is in line with the quality and portion.

If you want cheaper there is Weatherspoons where there is a distinct lack of quality and amount, you get what you pay for.

The Smiddy isnt one of the most modern brand new pubs that you can find, air conditioning and so on.............. however it has individual character. Where else can you go for something to eat and have a step into the past with quant reminders of how it used to be hanging around. It was after all an old blacksmiths and some of the equipment is still there.

Its different.

Some people will like it and some wont, each to their own.

I personally like it. One of the few places you can still go and be served 'real' chips.

well i've always enjoyed the food there but i haven't been there for awhile right enough.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

I haven't actually eaten there, but have been in a few times with "work", and have often wished I came earlier and eaten my dinner first.

The staff and the owners, IMHO, are good, provide a good service, and are a laugh. I like the old stlye bar/pub feel. Never been to keen on the clinical look and copy cat that features of chain pubs, and is also making its way into many locals nowadays.

Default pub

We have been there quite a few times over the years and i think the food is first class and when we were last there the staff were spot on and good with my son
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    when we were last there the staff were spot on and good with my son
    I have to agree with you there, they are good with kids. My youngest two have often left with a sweetie from the owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast