Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: BNP Leaflets

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Maybe you should re-read the GH's post on the matter!

..."After my daughter and then my wife read the full thread they have decided they dont want to visit Caithness.
    It reads the same as before and I restate: Not wanting to visit Caithness because of comments made on one thread by someone who is not even from Caithness is just plain silly, in my opinion.

Lightbulb

Selective reading Margaret...."I disagree and have explained that the poster they found offensive does not reside in Caithness"...not silly, just probably gut reaction at PT's comments..until explained.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Sickle cell anemia is not an infectious disease.

It is a chronic condition, although in a significant section of the population it can become a killer. It is handed down genetically like certain forms of breast cancer.

Sickle cell anemia is overwhelmingly a condition found in Africans.

Why should people in Africa have such a preponderance of the sickle cell gene? I gather it might confer some sort of protection from malaria but dont quote me on that.
    Rich, you are quite right about sickle cell being beneficial when it comes to malaria. I’m not certain exactly how it works but the sickle shape of the blood cell, I think it is the red cells, because it is an unusual shape prevents the particular mechanism causing malaria to take place.

I understand it is also quite common in people from the Indian Sub-continent for the same reason. Obviously people who cannot get malaria are more likely to survive than those who can and therefore are likely to die from the disease. Those who are protected by sickle cell are going to be more likely to pass the gene which causes it on to their children, only a certain proportion of which will inherit the gene. Like so many other such traits whether a child has sickle cell is down to pot luck. Parents could have three or four children, none of who have sickle cell or they could have only two and both inherit it.

I don’t know if there are any tests to check if a foetus has sickle cell as there are for other genetic illnesses but if there still isn’t then it’s long past time when great efforts were made to find one because I understand the condition can be quite debilitating and at times extemely painful.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    I am amazed this thread got this far without being locked or removed!
    It seems Ok to slag an orger off who cant come on to defend himself but if it was someone else it would be removed.
    Obviously percy doesnt quite sit with the "in crowd" because he has a different point of view, does that remind you of anyone?
    Oh yeah thats right the very people Percy was accused of being!!!!!
    I think its amazing how he can be openly slagged on here but as soon as he did it they were running off to the powers that be complaining!!!!
    I wonder who wil be next for the moderate politically correct right on crew?

This thread seems to have run its course and as hotrod4 quite rightly points out, percy/landmarker is no longer here to defend himself and even though he has been banned, it's still not very fair.

Hence, thread closed.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011