Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Mears or Bear Grylls?

Me 2 and i will bake him Scones !!! LOL
    Its nice to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Anne x View Post
    Me 2 and i will bake him Scones !!! LOL
    Is that Bree Van Der Campfire now?

Having actually lived in the wild for real, I can honestly say I'd hate to have either of them for companions.

Worse their TV crews. Had to host three different documentary crews in Zam. Every single individual among them were arrogant and assuming. Constantly amazed that mains electricity is not available in the bush - Grunt the fools...

Steve Irwin was actually a really good guy and genuine - he taught me how to approach a warthog safely!

Crayola - I think you'll be disappointed with both as their egos will prove considerably bigger than their meat.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    The no brainer bear doesn't eat the stuff, it leaves it in the woods.

You're welcome to Mears if you want him but I doubt even he will find a scone in the woods.
    Where did I say I wanted Mears?

Ray Mears for me, also Les Stroud ( Survivorman ). Both know what they are talking about and are not in it for the drama.

You're welcome to Mears if you want him but I doubt even he will find a scone in the woods.

Would you still say that after watching, this?????!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuB3kr3ckYE

Pretty gay using Charmin quilted afterwards though

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Tides~~ View Post

Extremely gross but very entertaining.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

It's Ray Mears for me every time, Bear doesn't have one iota of sense, he's off his chomp!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Default Ray

ray mears watched his programs he has a lot of knowledge and id rather trust him than someone who just playes the camera

Found this on a blog *

I've just seen some of Ray Mears on TV, chatting about how the forests of Britain can sustain anyone indefinitely. Pretty cool, I thought, as Ray goes on to explain the characteristics of the most common edible mushrooms. He says "oh, those will be excellent", and the scene cuts to Ray sitting in a clearing with a fire going and the mushrooms nicely sliced. Hang on...a fire? How did he do that? Never mind, I'm sure it's possible by rubbing sticks together or something. And I'm sure he sliced the mushrooms with a sharp rock.
    Then things get a bit less realistic. He whips out a wok and fries the mushrooms with butter and tomatoes. Come on Ray, did you fashion that pan from twigs and berries? Did you breed cattle and churn the milk into butter? But in the end I excuse him the discrepancy and put it down to convenience.
    But then, inexplicably, he quips "much better with a dressing and bread" and magically materialises some ciabatta bread and balsamic vinegar. Come on Ray, there's ease of filming and then there's just cheating mate. We could all live in the forest indefinitely if Domino's know which tree to deliver your blinking pizza to.
    In a different scene, he explains the nutritional virtues of chequer berries, or something like that. "Lovely, I could eat them all day, but they've been forgotten by rural society" he gleefully states. It's only at the last second when he quickly mutters the probable reason for their banishment from the menu- "best not to eat the stones in them though, they contain cyanide".
    Oh, and right now, he's glazing a pig on a spit with a brush he made from a branch. You tell me-genius or cheat?

* http://riseofamedic.blogspot.com/2007/02/ray-mears-legend-or-fraud.html

Then again: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2980464/Bear-Grylls-admits-television-rival-Ray-Mears-is-much-tougher-than-him.html

Bear's: The 34-year-old said: "He’s so rude about me in the press, it’s outrageous," but admitted that Mears was "brilliant" and "much tougher". + He said: "Ray has given me a bit of a grilling in the press but it would be so easy for me to come out fighting. "I know all the inside stories because we’ve had the same crew on a lot of things so I could really go to town but I don’t want to. He’s a great guy and he does a great job and it’s so silly to get into a silly catfight." (that's nice)..

Expect something will come out one day...

Anyone remember Bush Tucker Man, Major Les Hiddens from Oz. He only made one series. Too honest and too modest I guess for all you TV addicts! I'll forever remember his efforts at bird catching that failed so badly and fishing that got his leftover steak eaten for no reward. That was reality television.

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Tides~~ View Post

I saw that some years ago and it's as gross now as it was then. Yeeeeeeuck!

I'd still nibble his ribs but he'd need to have brushed his teeth and been on double vodka's and Listerene for a week beforehand.

Default Bear Grylls any day

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Who would you prefer to get you out of a survival situation? Is Bear Grylls for real or is it just me? Ray Mears seems more knowledgeable to me.
    I served with Bear Grylls in the Territorial SAS.

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Ray Mears for me, also Les Stroud ( Survivorman ). Both know what they are talking about and are not in it for the drama.
    Les Stroud ex Canadian Army Special Forces.
    Last edited by Eagleclaw68; 30-May-09 at 11:34. Reason: bad grammar

If that was the only 2 choices, then Ray Mears, but I would definately prefer Chris Ryan, especially if there were some baddies after me.

Chris Ryan doesn't seem impressed with BBQ Grills...

Former SAS soldier Chris Ryan has stated he does not believe Grylls broke his back on an SAS operation in Africa and that Grylls has exaggerated stories about his military record. Ryan said: "Bear Grylls goes on and on about an operation in Africa. He tells people he broke his back on an operation but I don’t know where in Africa he would be doing an operation. I’ve spoken to several guys who were regimental sergeant majors and instructors in the regimental SAS but none of them could remember this operation."
    wikipedia

I edited a series of 3 videos for Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine about Bear Grylls - it was a question and answer session and quite interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8a0BxUi2GM

Eagleclaw68: "I served with Bear Grylls in the Territorial SAS."

Was that Artists or 23?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleclaw68 View Post
    I served with Bear Grylls in the Territorial SAS.
    Did he eat things out of animal poo there too ??, did he pass the Underwater Knife Fighting Course ?? .. I hear all those associated with "them" have ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast