Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ray Mears or Bear Grylls?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Who would you prefer to get you out of a survival situation? Is Bear Grylls for real or is it just me? Ray Mears seems more knowledgeable to me.
    Ray Mears any day. Have got his book 'Bushcraft' - excellent read. Was goinf to sign up for one of his courses but they are incredibly expensive. Maybe when I win the lottery.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Suppose they are really - done a few expeditions me self and usually on a shoestring..

Course Name: Introduction to Bushcraft 2010 - Is Bushcraft for me?
    Cost per person: £300.00 (inc VAT)

Course Name: Arctic Experience with Lars Falt 2010 - Arctic Survival in Lapland, Sweden
    Cost per person: £2000.00 (inc VAT)

Course Name: Canoeing in the Ardeche 2009 - The Path of the Paddle
    Previous Location: Ardeche, South of France
    Cost per person: £1200.00 (inc VAT)

Course Name: Nordic Skiing 2010 - The original way to travel on snow
    Cost per person: £1200.00 (inc VAT)
    http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Courses/

Default Idiot with a M16

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    If that was the only 2 choices, then Ray Mears, but I would definitely prefer Chris Ryan, especially if there were some baddies after me.
    Most people believe Chris Ryan was regular SAS but he was actually Territorial SAS like Bear Grylls, during the first Gulf war it was the first time that all the SAS regiments were together since WW2. You need to read a book called The Real Bravo Two Zero by Micheal Asher not the crap what Chris Ryan wrote.

Ryan originally joined the 23rd Territorial SAS regiment after unsuccessfully trying to get into the army as a boy soldier at 16. His cousin, Billy was already in it, so he suggested that Ryan came down to the base for a few weekends to see what the army was really like. Ryan loved doing this, and he came down every weekend, eventually almost passing selection several times, but he was too young to continue selection and do 'test week'. He eventually joined the 23rd SAS and shortly afterwards began selection for the 22nd, regular SAS. He passed, joining 'B' squadron but needing a parent regiment, he planned to spend three months with the parachute regiment, but this was cut to four weeks when he was called back to go with 'B' squadron to Aden to help secure the beach heads whilst the British pulled out. He then spent seven years doing both covert and overt missions with the SAS in various theatres of the world.

Role 21 SAS - Close Target Reconnaissance
    22 SAS - Counter-Revolutionary Warfare/Counter-Terrorism
    23 SAS - Close Target Reconnaissance
    Size Three Regiments
    Part of UK Special Forces
    Garrison/HQ RHQ - Credenhill
    21st Regiment - London
    22nd Regiment - Credenhill
    23rd Regiment - Wolverhampton

I still go for Bear Grylls and if he can't find us enough to eat his last service on this earth will be to provide me with a grylled bear jalfrezi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123