Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Stand off barking.

Default Stand off barking.

How do you stop a friendly socialable dog from being "spooked" by people in headgear.

We've had Scorrie since September of last year and he still doesnt "trust" people who have headgear on .

Tonight the sailing club were down at the pier and a younge lad in a wet suit got the stand off bark but no one else did.
    The only diffrence about him is that he had on a cap.

Luckily the lad wasnt frightened and thought our big muppet was funny and he really does look like a muppet.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

hi.my uncles poodle used to do that!we all wore hats,and id give him mine to sniff at/chew and he got used to it. he did still do it sometimes though,but not get as wound up as he used to.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    hi.my uncles poodle used to do that!we all wore hats,and id give him mine to sniff at/chew and he got used to it. he did still do it sometimes though,but not get as wound up as he used to.

As you can imagine living on Skye it rains alot so head gear is a necessity.He was getting better during the winter but tonight the poor boy in the cap got it.
    It use to be rucksackshe didnt like but we just assumed its because he hadnt seen them before as now he's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    That's what I would suggest as well.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

I can't get my dog to stop barking at people he also tries running to wards them, he is fine when he gets attention but a lot of people think he's wild nothing I do stops him. Today I saw a horn in Pets at Home which stops barking don't know if it actually works.

Cuddlepop....you may have to don a hat yourself to get him used to them!!!! Seriously though, if he learns to look on a hatted head as friendly he will settle..........So you and hubby need to get heads into baseball caps, bunnets...or anything that is wearable......What a character he is....I can just picture him....

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    Cuddlepop....you may have to don a hat yourself to get him used to them!!!! Seriously though, if he learns to look on a hatted head as friendly he will settle..........So you and hubby need to get heads into baseball caps, bunnets...or anything that is wearable......What a character he is....I can just picture him....

What a good idea,Teenybash! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    That's a good suggestion. Our dog didn't know what to think of gloved hands, he freaked out, so we went about wearing gloves as much as possible until he finally got to used to them.

I wore a hat most of the winter and he still went a bit off when walkers approached.

As far as a baseball cap well I'm a wee bit old for that.

Need to work out a way for him to see them as friend and not foe.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    As far as a baseball cap well I'm a wee bit old for that.
    You are never too old......................

Dogs are strange animals. Who knows what is going through their minds at these moments!
    My young Dane has a bit of a fit if I even put my hood up. He barks at people he knows if they suddenly don a hat too. Strange!

The way I deal with it is to ignore it unless it becomes serious i.e he starts to chase the hat away. lol.
    Once he's been brave enough to sniff he realises that it's not going to hurt him and he settles down, but basically I ignore it.
    Unless your dog is attacking these hats I would just calmly shush him and maybe even put him into a submissive position while the hat passes by. I don't suggest you wrestle him to the ground and sit him on lol, perhaps a sit position turned away from the object of his barking may work.
    BUT you have to be consistent every single time.

Good Luck
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/