Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer to do?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watch only the film.

0 0%
  • Read only the book.

2 10.00%
  • Book first, film second.

14 70.00%
  • Film first, book second

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read the Book or Watch the Film?

Default Read the Book or Watch the Film?

I'm reading Angels and Demons right now and I usually read the book after watching the film but I realise most don't, or do you?

I am just interested in other's point of view on this.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I always read the book first, very rarely go to the cinema as it gives me migrane.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Hmmmm Rheggers - there should have been an option for read book/watch film either way round LOL! I do both cos sometimes I don't always realise that a film is adapted from a book. Generally the books are better too!

Usually the book first, but on one exception went to see "When Eagles Dare" because Alistair McLean had written the film before the book, and in the film the German casualties are numerous, but in the book there are very few. But I enjoyed both.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Whenever possible I try to read the book first.

One thing that I can't understand is when someone says 'it is not as good as the book'.

Eh??

I can understand someone comparing fims with film and books with books.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

A film will never have the same intensity as a book simply because with the written word we each imagine our own pictures.
    With a film, because of the length, a book has to be very much curtailed and often the images created do not concur with those that we had evoked from the written word.

The two series of books I read before the films were Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potters.Was amazed at the accuracy that the films brought,most of the time,to the books.Two films I watched and then read the book were Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Willy Wonka.

One of the books I haven't read,but seen the film that was based on the book.Is 'Do Androids dream of electric sheep' for Bladerunner.One day,one day.
    Last edited by Cedric Farthsbottom III; 26-May-09 at 12:20.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

it really depends what is available to me 1st. I watched Twilight before i read the book, and im glad i had done it that way as the book is far better and may have made the film disapointing, but as i had nothing to compare it to, i loved it.

I have, however, red the rest of the books, and the films arent yet out, so ill just have to see how it affects my viewing.
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Tilly Teckel Guest

With the exceptions of The Shining and possibly Carrie, all Stephen King films are crap whilst the books are fab. Yet, I keep watching, every time they adapt one of his books for the screen - hoping to be pleasantly surprised - and being totally let down, again. Stick with the books, I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    With the exceptions of The Shining and possibly Carrie, all Stephen King films are crap whilst the books are fab. Yet, I keep watching, every time they adapt one of his books for the screen - hoping to be pleasantly surprised - and being totally let down, again. Stick with the books, I say!
    I thought The Stand was really good. Probably the one film i watched that was most like the book.
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Always liked reading the books first and then comparing the book to the film to see what "take" the director has gone with for the film.
    The only disappointment I had was ages ago with Dune.
    The mini series that was done later was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Always liked reading the books first and then comparing the book to the film to see what "take" the director has gone with for the film.
    The only disappointment I had was ages ago with Dune.
    The mini series that was done later was much better.
    I watched the film Dune before reading the book and I must admit, flawed as the film may be the musical score and costumes and sets struck a cord with me.

I did not really take to the first mini-series of Dune but I thought the second mini-series Children of Dune was brilliant.

I am invariably disappointed when I see an adaptation of a book that I have enjoyed. The only way round it, for me, is to treat them as though they have no connection. Books are usually much better.

I agree the book is better read first before watching the film

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    1st Post - Hello chaps and girls. Trolling for a whiley but had to post here. Shawshank Redemption Surely ? Consistently voted one of the 10 best films ever. Normally top 5. Novel was good if i mind but not amazing like the film.

loved the dune series of books but the films did them no justice, if they were remade today they maybe do more justice

would love to see david eddings - belgarion series done as films now that would be worth watching though as lizz has said before what you imagine when reading is sometimes no as good as captured in film

though again the harry potters have come close - can't wait for the new potter to be released i'll be there with my tub of salt popcorn awaiting

Quote Originally Posted by Slownk View Post
    1st Post - Hello chaps and girls. Trolling for a whiley but had to post here. Shawshank Redemption Surely ? Consistently voted one of the 10 best films ever. Normally top 5. Novel was good if i mind but not amazing like the film.
    Totally agree, I just posted on another thread about this funnily enough saying what a great film it is. I think that not everyone realises it is a Stephen King film?

Quote Originally Posted by FirmFoundation View Post
    Totally agree, I just posted on another thread about this funnily enough saying what a great film it is. I think that not everyone realises it is a Stephen King film?
    The Green Mile is a Stephen King story also....as is Stand by Me, two brilliant films based on short stories. I do agree that Needful Things was one of the worst adaptations ever made, as was Dean Koontz The Watchers.....

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    I thought The Stand was really good. Probably the one film i watched that was most like the book.
    Have to agree there. The book is just brilliant and the mini series followed it very closely. Every time I read the book and it mentions Randall Flagg I see the grinning face of the actor who played him in the series, they do dovetail nicely. Plus the opening scene where you see all the plague victims in the lab with "Dont fear the Reaper" playing just grabs you from the outset.

The Whole series in on Youtube if anyone is interested. Just Search for "The Stand".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast