Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bignold Cottage Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I live near the old Bignold hospital, it is good that it wasnt knocked down, just converted to flats/houses, so it still looks the same.
    I always thought the Henderson Nursing home was in northcote street and is used by nhs for offices.
    Fran I think you are talking about the 'nurses Home' that was in Northcote Street. Now privately owned.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Talking

Hi

All of the above is very interesting, I can just about remember going to the Bignold when I was a little girl to see my Granny, who was a patient at the time, that was about 1975 I think...... Keep the info coming, love reading it...... Thanks

Default Northcote Street House

think that was where the district nurses used to live (can remember Nurse Dunbar living there) and had their offices - long time ago when I was young.
    empty for a long time then used as offices for NHS staff
    Sold as a private house probably about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    and...my next question is - who were the Hendersons?

They were the family of James Henderson, Distiller, Pulteneytown (Old Pultney) this family had owned the Rosebank House (Henderson Nursing Home since 1836.

Mosser

I remember when I was at a meeting of the planned new hospital years ago (the present Caithness General Hospital) when they were proposing the new ward names after the BIGNOLD Hospital,HENDERSON , and ROSEBANK. I asked that there be a hospital radio, but they hadnt planned for this. So, after discussion they agreed a radio room could be in the old pharmacy of the central hospital, next to the morgue, and I was the first presenter. Memories........................
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I remember when I was at a meeting of the planned new hospital years ago (the present Caithness General Hospital) when they were proposing the new ward names after the BIGNOLD Hospital,HENDERSON , and ROSEBANK. I asked that there be a hospital radio, but they hadnt planned for this. So, after discussion they agreed a radio room could be in the old pharmacy of the central hospital, next to the morgue, and I was the first presenter. Memories........................

Well Fran, it is still on the go and they are appealling for more presenters. There you go.....you have experience!
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Default Henderson Memorial Nursing Home

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    scan them then post em to bill fernie & he will put them in the photo section

I pass the Bignold every day. Often wonder why it was sold to local enterprise as i believe it was gifted to the town by Sir Arthur Bignold.
    same goe,s for the Henderson nursing home that to was gifted to the people of Wick, ok we needed a new hospital ,but to knock down a lovely historic building like that was just criminal. they surely could have built the cgh elsewhere

Found this photo in a booklet about The Henderson Memorial Nursing Home. My mother was a nurse in it until they knocked it down.

I live near the old Bignold hospital, it is good that it wasnt knocked down, just converted to flats/houses, so it still looks the same.
    I always thought the Henderson Nursing home was in northcote street and is used by nhs for offices.
    Fran, I may be wrong but it runs in my mind that the house in Northcote St was where the District Nurses lived. i believe that there was a bungalow just down from the Bignold that had a similar purpose. At my age I could be be wrong!!!

Default houses

you are right Trinkie - or it is my memory too!

House on George Street was sold many years ago, house in Northcote Street sold think it was early 90s.

I remember when the district nurses used to cycle around, can also remeber Nurse Dunbar getting her little black car and whizzing around the streets of Wick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12