Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taj Mahal Halkirk

Why dont you just make your own then ?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Mmm, hardly a chef needed to make a donner kebab. Slice the pyramid "meat thing" into thin slices whilst lightly toasting a pitta bread. Pour on some chilli sauce (freshly chopped chilli, some tomatoe, garlic and oil). Finish off with some lettuce, tomatoe and sliced onions. Throw in a free can of coke for all orders over £10

Easy init peeps!
    Sounds great! You should open your own Indian, you could get a grant from the Causewaymire windfarm fund to open up, use a windy-type device to work the pyramid 'meat thing', get some Wickers to provide heat for the pitta breaD and offer free 'whine' to all customers.
    I'm sure the good burghers of Halkirk would go for it in a big way!
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 21-May-09 at 23:43.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Sounds great! You should open your own Indian, you could get a grant from the Causewaymire windfarm fund to open up, use a windy-type device to work the pyramid 'meat thing', get some Wickers to provide heat for the pitta breaD and offer free 'whine' to all customers.
    I'm sure the good burghers of Halkirk would go for it in a big way!
    Another recipe since you liked my last.

Slice "meaty thing" and stuff into a cold untoasted pitta bread. Cover with copious amounts of red food colouring. Garnish with shredded cabbage(should be salad but this is a lot easier) and serve ensuring that 10 minutes has pased to ensure sogginess and to allow the "salad" to soak up the red food colouring. Mmmm tasty!

This is quite complicated so you may need a chef for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by wkgeorge View Post

Because you have to be a chef to put these little beauties together.....

Is the word I'm thinking of spelt 'chube', 'tube' or 'tyoub'?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

I'd say all three tubs
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

talking of tubes all the people that think that the pink attacked kebabs are good indian food i think they are the tubes

and yes its supposed to be cabbage in the original kebabs but they are advertised down south as with cabbage not salad

i have had good meals from several of the indians but its half and half and if the customer is paying for the food it should be done to the best possible standard not just thrown together

i would love to see someone served that pink kebabs in india lol or the tiny pita breads

you need 2 full hands to hold the kebabs down south and i can never finish a whole one from down the line and its only £3.50 and easily 3 times the size of the plain £4 one from here

all the people who think all the hotels and fast food places up here are brilliant need to go down south and eat out at alot of different places to get a grip of what good food is

i would only go to the weigh inn and forse house up here if i was going out for a meal, maybe one or two other places as long as i knew who was cooking and they were cooking my meal

and the price some people charge for the rubbish you get here

and the amount of places that use all brakes frozen stuff its stupid, especially frozen chips when its nothing but fields around here i used to get massive sacks of tatties for free, the beak does chips rumbled and cut that are better than frozen ones

i have nothing personal against the owners of these establishments im sure they real good people but they need to wake up and cook some real authentic indian meals and dont cheap out on the ingredients, i would rather pay double the price and get a real tasty meal than a half price meal with frozen ingredients and cheap sauces etc...

i have never ever anywhere ever had chilli sauce that looks like that NEVER and ive eaten alot of take out alot of different places

it wasnt that long ago i was praising the castletown indian for doing their kebabs alot better than shelina spice so we went out and got one each and it was good and the next time they ordered they got a meal for two and it was rubbish the only thing they ate was the naan bread and it wasnt the best either

so i have no probs with the owners they just need to make sure the people in the kitchen are consistent and stop using weird chilli sauce i am pretty positive if i went to india for a meal my chilli sauce wouldnt look like that and sure as hell wouldnt be as sweet and thick
    Last edited by GetWithTheTimes; 22-May-09 at 14:06.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Don't think there is any reason that we have to go down south - most of us are happy with the food establishments in Caithness & have no reason to go anywhere else.
    I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by wkgeorge View Post
    Well, I would. Fussy about my food , where the ingredients come from an essential as far as I am concerned. Plenty of spices to choose from nowadays and you can actually grow loads of herbs in the garden, much better I would say than getting a mixture of whatever from wherever. I cannot understand how all the restuarants and cafes make a living in Caithness in this day and age or does most people eat out all the time?

Default FAO Get with the times

If everything is so much better 'down south' why don't you just head off down there, I am sure we would all be much happier that way.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    If everything is so much better 'down south' why don't you just head off down there, I am sure we would all be much happier that way.
    Surely we should want a better standard up here rather than putting up with rubbish? Going south will just mean that the place is left to bad standards, what sort of message will that leave in the minds of visitors who come from areas of better quality? Is that what you want?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Surely we should want a better standard up here rather than putting up with rubbish? Going south will just mean that the place is left to bad standards, what sort of message will that leave in the minds of visitors who come from areas of better quality? Is that what you want?
    Who said it was Rubbish???? Only GetWithTheTimes, may be his standards are too high, when I personally want a Kebab, I go to a Kebab shop, not a curry take away, but then I live in a metropolis, Kebab shops on every corner, so i guess I am lucky.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Not at all Rheggers, just don't want places that are fine slated by someone who's got a grudge to bear.

If I get bad food I complain to the establishment, if they give me a mouthful of crap then I may just report that on here.

It would help if folks spoke to the vendors afore coming on here. Its amazing the difference it can make.

Thanks both for the explanation and I agree, sometimes I'm to naive to the malicious complexity of the human mind.

Since this is supposed to be a recommendations thread and Indian restaurants 'down the line' have been mentioned, I thought I would recommend a couple near me.

For anyone spending a night in Glasgow I can recommend Mother India and the Shish Mahal. The Shish is a Glasgow institution and has been on the go for many decades. Mother India is more recent and a worthy competitor, I heard they've opened up in Edinburgh recently but I haven't been there.

Default Taj Mahal Halkirk

Although I havent tried the new halkirk Indian (YET)

I can thouraghly reccommend Taj Mahal from when they were in castletown, if the halkirk one is as good and as busy they will do realy well.

tried it tonight but we were disappointed. I had a Bhuna and absolutely no kick of it at all when it should be a medium heat, very bland infact. OH had Balti Tikka Chilli Masalla and again not spicy although it was strongly flavoured with lemon

We'll be sticking to Indian Palace as have always preferred them to Castletown Taj Mahal

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I had a Bhuna and absolutely no kick of it at all when it should be a medium heat, very bland infact.
    I think I am right in saying that a Bhuna is the dish with the least kick of them all. No wonder.

Default Taj Mahal Halkirk

We had a set menu for 4 tonight from Halkirk we all really enjoyed, it takes just over 1/2 hour to drive to Halkirk from where we live and the meal was piping hot when we got home which I thought was really good

I've had spicier ones out of Tesco but you're right there's not much kick to them but this had nothing it was plain bland, just wish I had gone for the dhansak as that was my original choice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast