Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taj Mahal Halkirk

Default Taj Mahal Halkirk

Don't bother with their donner kebabs. I have eaten hundreds of these "things" from all over the uk and have never had one as bad as the one purchased tonight from the above establishment. It may have been their first night open (busy etc), but it was diabolical. The salad was shredded cabbage and the chilli sauce was bright pink-obviously a large helping of food colouring. I put most of it in the bin. Absolutely terrible. These lads should stick to curry. I won't be back!

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Don't bother with their donner kebabs. I have eaten hundreds of these "things" from all over the uk and have never had one as bad as the one purchased tonight from the above establishment. It may have been their first night open (busy etc), but it was diabolical. The salad was shredded cabbage and the chilli sauce was bright pink-obviously a large helping of food colouring. I put most of it in the bin. Absolutely terrible. These lads should stick to curry. I won't be back!
    I hate it when you are looking forward to something nice and you end up with a load of tosh.

Default Kebab

Totally disagree. We had a donar kebab last night from Taj Mahal and it was lovely. Meat was very fresh. And you always get shredded cabbage with kebab, even from the Thurso Shelina Space.

Sauce was lovely too.

If you were not happy, why didnt you complain to Taj Mahal?

Quote Originally Posted by scrabster view View Post
    Totally disagree. We had a donar kebab last night from Taj Mahal and it was lovely. Meat was very fresh. And you always get shredded cabbage with kebab, even from the Thurso Shelina Space.

Sauce was lovely too.

If you were not happy, why didnt you complain to Taj Mahal?
    This is not a new business therefore you would have thought they would have ironed out any problems they had with their food over the years they were trading in Castletown. The Kebab in question is described "with salad". Would you then be quite happy to have shredded cabbage as a "salad". You should try the Elgin Kebab shop the next time you are down that way- a different beast altogether. As for the sauce, my hands are still stained from the food colouring. As for complaining, I have.. with my feet.

ive been around the world tasted many a kebab, each establishment has done them different, obviously and indian take out isnt going to do them as good as a greek take out , just put it down to experiance and try a curry next time!!

They have new chef's in this establishment not the same as the one's they had in C'town.
    I was there on Monday night for their open night and have to say all the food they had laid out was lovely.

Don't bother with their donner kebabs. I have eaten hundreds of these "things" from all over the uk ...
    You ever happy about anything?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

i agree they are going well down hill

there was a thread deleted due to it getting bad comments before

i was saying the shelina spice was real bad and everyone took the huff

i have had indians from alot of different places that is how i was complaining it was so bad, and they wont improve coz there is nowhere else to get it so we have to eat it anyway

the indian in wick are a dodgy bunch too

its about time a decent indian place opened up and showed these fakes what real indian food tastes like
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Quote Originally Posted by GetWithTheTimes
    they wont improve coz there is nowhere else to get it so we have to eat it anyway
    Errr Sorry you do Not have to eat it, if there is something I do not like or think is not good enough then I do not even Order it.

So I suggest that if you do not like the food from this establishment then just do not buy any.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I was also at their opening night on Monday and found their food to be very good, as did the people who I was with.

I certainly will be back to the Taj Mahal and wish them the very best in their new establishment!

I was there on Monday night as well, and the food was awesome
    Every bit as nice as the Castletown one!
    Good luck to them

Thumbs up

I was also their on Moday night for a meal and it was lovely.

It may be a differet chef from c'town but he is every bit as good the meal was lovely and the staff were great.

well done abs!! Wish him the best of luck!

Kebabs can be a hit or a miss, just wait until you have 5 pints, then come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it.........
    STAY IN TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    You ever happy about anything?
    Yes, I am hapy to go somewhere else for a donner.

Quote Originally Posted by herenow View Post

It may be a differet chef from c'town but he is every bit as good the meal was lovely and the staff were great.

I am not at all suggesting that their main stay of Indian food is not great, just that their donner kebabs are pants.
    Last edited by david; 21-May-09 at 19:19.

Default Taj Mahal Halkirk

We were also in on the opening night food and service was excellent. Wish Abs, his family and staff all the best and we will certainly be regulars!!

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    Kebabs can be a hit or a miss, just wait until you have 5 pints, then come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it.........
    there you go

hit or a miss? kebabs shouldnt be a hit or a miss in fact its probably the easiest meal they can make so why is it ok for them to be a hit or a miss?

no meal should be a hit or a miss whether its indian or chinese or a chippy

the fact that fast food places cant cook decent meals all the time here is unreal

and the food should taste good before 5 pints not after it

and so you all dont think i am just picking on the indian food its not just there that lacks the ability to cook fast food i have had over cooked smoked sausages from all the chippys, must have been sitting in the warmer for the whole day by the toughness of the sausage its like trying to chew a tyre, also some of the chinese i have had is pure running with fat, the best chinese anywhere near here is the one in golspie unless its changed hands since i was last there

i was down in england last october and i took my mate to a kebab shop i used to go to and he was amazed how big it was and how fresh and moist the kebab meat was compared to up here, and its salad you get when you ask for salad not cabbage cucumber and mint, i just dont think the fast food places put in enough effort up here for the simple fact loads of you are going to go get pissed and eat it and think it was ace just because you were drunk

jeez at one point it was lidl chips in one of the indians, i know because i eat them all the time, was a while ago now but still lidl chips?!?!?!

i am not saying i havent had good meals out of any of these places but nowhere near the quality of food you get further down south nowhere near
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

my sons had food last nite and they said it was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    Maybe 10 pints, a few drams, a guide dog and a white stick may help.

Quote Originally Posted by herenow View Post

Mmm, hardly a chef needed to make a donner kebab. Slice the pyramid "meat thing" into thin slices whilst lightly toasting a pitta bread. Pour on some chilli sauce (freshly chopped chilli, some tomatoe, garlic and oil). Finish off with some lettuce, tomatoe and sliced onions. Throw in a free can of coke for all orders over £10

Easy init peeps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast