Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of help/advice...Anything!

Exclamation In need of help/advice...Anything!

Hello all!

Me again!

This last 2 weeks or so Brenon's fur has been changing. Been getting really long and alot more fluffy.

Since this has been happening my asthma has been extremelly bad. So much that im taking my inhaler up to 15 times a day instead of my normal 1 or 2! This really is not good. There is nothing the doctor can prescribe and i cant get stronger inhalers because they are as strong as i can get.

Its not just me but my partners asthma has been getting a bit worse too since his fur has changed.

Im really struggling to breath.

So can anybody recommend any home remedies that we can maybe try? Because if it keeps going like this the worst thing possible may have to come into practice. But i dont want it to get to rehoming him.

Thanks all.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Poor you Shelley but, it does sound as if it is Brenon that is causing your asthma to flair up so badly, coupled with it being hay fever season. I don't know of anything that would help but, you could try a crushed clove of garlic, put in a mug and pour over boiling water and breath in the steam just simply by holding it like you would a cuppa.....it helps some folks but not all and it won't do you any harm.
    If it does come to rehoming you will find him the best but it may not come to that.

Does Brenon go outside or is he a house cat? I used to sneeze when my parents cat came in because he was probably covered in pollen.
    Could you try grooming him, since he is young he may take to it no problem and it might help your asthma if there are less hairs being cast around the room - not that I am saying you dont hoover
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

There is a liquid, i cant think of the name, that you rub along the fur and it prevents humans from sneezing etc etc. It is highly recommended for people with asthma. pHONE BOOTS AND ASK THE PHARMACIST. SORRY I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME BUT I KNOW OF SOMEONE WHO USED IT ON THEIR CAT AND HER ASTHMA improved considerably. It helps all human allergies.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    There is a liquid, i cant think of the name, that you rub along the fur and it prevents humans from sneezing etc etc. It is highly recommended for people with asthma. pHONE BOOTS AND ASK THE PHARMACIST. SORRY I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME BUT I KNOW OF SOMEONE WHO USED IT ON THEIR CAT AND HER ASTHMA improved considerably. It helps all human allergies.
    It may be Petal Cleanse you are thinking of Fran? This would definitely be worth a try Shelley as it is often the dander that is the problem.

Carasmam has made a good point as well that there could be pollen in Brenon's coat which is affecting your asthma.

It could be worth getting an ioniser pet brush as this will really clean Brenon't coat and hopefully remove irritants.

Homeopathic remedies can be used successfully and I will ask the homeopath I use what he suggests and let you know what he says Shelley.

My own asthma is worse just now and I think it is the pollen which is the cause.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks guys! I have tried the thing you said teenybash and i still sound like a harmonica! lol. Tried it yesterday and today

The only problem with some homeopathic (sp) remedies is that a few will interfear with my inhaler i was told.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    The only problem with some homeopathic (sp) remedies is that a few will interfear with my inhaler i was told.
    They shouldn't but I will check. Have you tried rubbing something like Vick on your chest, throat under your nose? I find this helps a wee bit.

I empathise with you as it is really awful when asthma is bad.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    They shouldn't but I will check. Have you tried rubbing something like Vick on your chest, throat under your nose? I find this helps a wee bit.

I empathise with you as it is really awful when asthma is bad.
    Yeah and i had a vicks nasal inhaler thing. Tried sprays, anti-histamines...everything!

Im going back to see the asthma nurse tomorrow because its so bad. When i am out im not so bad. But when i am in the house (obviously with his hairs everywhere) then thats when im worse.

We worry about my OH's son aswell because he has quite bad coughing/breathing problems as it is.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Just a wee update.

Been to the asthma clinic today. I have been told my lung capacity is dropping and near the danger zone.

I have to make a very hard desicion, either i get an oxygen machine for a few hours a day or say goodbye to brenon.

Its really hard, im off to have a think and a good cry. Its heartbreaking thinking of it.

Im sure you all know how im feeling anyway.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Oh my god, what a dilema you have, what a decision to make.
    Did they do an allergy test to see if doghair is making you worse?
    No one can tell you what decision to make. I am just thinking if it was me (I have lung problems and a dog) I just would not know what to do. Do you have a friend nearby who could have your dog for a few days to see how you get on without doghair.? Pity you cant shave him if that would be the answer.Have you asked the vet for advice? Have you googled about this?
    I do wish you luck with such a terrible decision.
    thinking of you and brenan.
    Just a thought, my friend has lung problems and is on oxygen full-time now and she has a collie dog.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Default Thinking of you

Huge hugs as that is such a hard thing to have to think about as I know you love him to bits.
    loads of love

Shelly my thoughts are with you and I wish there was other alternatives for you to choose from.

Think we're all having a wee "greet" with you.

When my Gp thought my allergy was being brought on by the dogs I was distraught as I honestly would feel lost without them.
    Thankfully my results came back informing me I've got a dust allergy.Have you been tested for this as this too can make asthma worse.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Thanks for the kind words all and the PM's i have recieved. Very kind of you all.

Fran, brenon is a kitten lol.

I have not been round many cats in my life so had never seen any problems. Fintan is a short hair, brenon is completely different.

Its worth getting an allergy test i thought too, but my nurse was quite concerned about my immediate health because of the problems im having just now.

My breathing is restricting what i can do with my son, Athrun. And he is 7 months old and full of beans!! Im 20 and meant to be able to keep up with this.

Boo hoo! Still trying to make a decision. But as some have stated in the PM's i recieved my health comes first. And i dont want it to get critical before its too late because of the attacks im having.

Thanks again all!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Shelley wish there was something I could say to make you feel better and a magic wand to chase your asthma away. It's after midnight and todays another day..............your little Brenon will be fine but, you do have to put your health first for the sake of Athrun....Bless you and thinking of you.

shelley, how i feel for you, as you love that little guy, but you other little man aka athrun, needs his mum healthy, if the situation arises brennon would find a loving home. thinking of you.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

We have talked it over, i am going to give it 1 week to see if i improve at all with him being outside more. I have left the back door open all afternoon and he has been mucking around in the garden.

Hopefully i will see an improvement. If not then obviously we will have to think of rehoming him.

Its so sad! But fingers crossed please folks!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Ohh Shelley thats not good news.

My asthma has been playing up a lot over the last 4 to 6 weeks as well. I have got 2 cats and have had them for 15 yrs now. I don't know why is is playing up, but I also know of a few others who are having probs too. Maybe it is something in the air.

I hope and pray that things will get better over the next week. Brennon is such a lovely cat.

Got fingers,arms, legs, toes and eyes crossed for you Shelley.....couldn't quite manage the ears..

Seriously will be hoping and wishing and hoping again all turns out well.

Thanks for all the kind words and PM's everybody! its really nice of u all!

Good to know i have all your support!

Keep it all crossed teenybash!

Cheers!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Everything crossed here too Shelley, a few people have said there is something in the air this year and hayfever etc is worse than usual.

Hope you get a solution soon
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast