Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A website for Arctic birds?

Default A website for Arctic birds?

Does anyone know of a website for identifying species of birds from across the world, please?
    I read about crowbills being shot and later netted on and near Wrangel Island (Siberia) by the survivors from the Karluk after she was crushed and then sank in the pack ice (Karluk was one of three ships on Stefansson's 1914-19 Arctic expedition) and wondered what a crowbill looks like.
    Last edited by sprint95m; 11-May-09 at 22:16. Reason: spelling mistake

Lightbulb

Can't say I've heard the name before...have you tried Mr.Google?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Default polar research

Type scott polar research into the search engine - theres 20,000 images on there from both poles. Although they are black & white.

Default Yes.....

I have tried a google search.
    The book I read is entitled "The great untold story of Arctic exploration - Karluk" by William Laird McKinlay.

McKinlay was a Glaswegian school teacher, who Stefansson recruited to be the magnetician and meteorologist on the exploration.
    From his description, I think these birds may be a type of auk, possibly Brunnich's guillemots, as they bred on the cliffs, formed groups on the exposed sea in the ice fields and could be approached (they were netted at close proximity). Possibly crowbill was a name McKinlay picked up translating from their Eskimo name?

There are plenty of websites relating to Wrangel Island (now a reserve) but these give a general overview of the wildlife there. The landscape photographs make it look appealing but McKinlay's story paints a very different picture of real hardship in a harsh environment.

Default another book

Theres another book written about that expedition - written from the perspective of Capt. Bartlett. The book is based on fact but would be I suppose a 'docu drama' if it was on tv. I can't remember the exact name of it as its been a few years since read it - lent it to a mate down the road last year - not got it back yet! - will try and find name for you and get back. Although probably won't help you with bird pics.

Default Good news.......

Crowbills are guillemots Uria aalge.
    I got this info from someone who provided a link to an Alaskan website.

Bill posted several useful links for birdwatchers at the top of this forum. Does this one help you? :-
    http://www.birdcinema.com/

I've not perused it in full myself and I'm no expert but you might obtain useful links from it.