Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tescos policy

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    The shop assistant did nowt wrong here,she abided by the licensing laws.As your friend was with you but had no id she was quite right in refusing the sale.To stop this repeatedly happening it's better for your friend to get photo id even if he is 18 or over.If he looks under 25 he will be refused without it.Signs warning you of this have to be displayed on the premise entrance,around the store and at the tills so really you would have known you would be asked before you reached the tills.It's better to be prepared than risk "embarassment".
    Yes but the ridiculous thing is I had i.d and my partner looks 20 odd!! he has no i.d as he does not drive. and why should he fork out for an i.d card just because that silly old woman in tescos was being stubborn!! and the best of it all ~~~ my partner worked in tescos doing night shift for a while and you have to be over 18 to do so and the manager we spoke to knew him!! its bloody rediculous!! but never the less we went to somerfield and got a bargain!!

Quote Originally Posted by superceltic View Post
    Yes but the ridiculous thing is I had i.d and my partner looks 20 odd!! he has no i.d as he does not drive. and why should he fork out for an i.d card just because that silly old woman in tescos was being stubborn!! and the best of it all ~~~ my partner worked in tescos doing night shift for a while and you have to be over 18 to do so and the manager we spoke to knew him!! its bloody rediculous!! but never the less we went to somerfield and got a bargain!!

If your partner does not want to fork out for id that is up to him,but he will find that in the future all shops and stores will be asking for id so not having one means no sale.Even if the manager did know he was over 18,if the checkout assistant asks for proof then it is her that needs it because it is her that is selling it to you so it will be her that needs the proof.After all it will be her that faces the huge fine not the manager .

Quote Originally Posted by tomacomen View Post
    its a joke. if an underager wants drink they can get it somewhere, and thats the case all over the country.

The last few times ive bought alcohol from tescos ive not had a problem, however there was one case where i was id'd 3 times in 3 days by the same cashier (no, im not an alchy!)! now, what i dont understand is how someone cant remember someone who they've id'd the 2 previous days!

sorry to say, but some of the staff seem like complete jobsworths out for extra brownie points, or mabye they've just got a little bit of power and are abusing it. who knows?!

They are not jobsworths,they are acting within the law.Do you have any idea how many people a checkout assistant can serve in a day?!No harm is being done by asking for id.It only takes a minute...........

but doesnt common sense and judgement take even less? espeicially when as it has been said, people have proved their age beforehand?

Quote Originally Posted by tomacomen View Post
    its a joke. if an underager wants drink they can get it somewhere, and thats the case all over the country.

The last few times ive bought alcohol from tescos ive not had a problem, however there was one case where i was id'd 3 times in 3 days by the same cashier (no, im not an alchy!)! now, what i dont understand is how someone cant remember someone who they've id'd the 2 previous days!

sorry to say, but some of the staff seem like complete jobsworths out for extra brownie points, or mabye they've just got a little bit of power and are abusing it. who knows?!

I would totally agree with u there, i was in tescos today getting some shopping and guess what......i witnessed an underager purchasing alcohol right infront of me and the assistant didnt even flinch to ask for i.d and i thought well well.......i am well above the age to purchase alcohol and i was refused but yet a 17 year old bought a case of lager......come on tescos

I would totally agree with u there, i was in tescos today getting some shopping and guess what......i witnessed an underager purchasing alcohol right infront of me and the assistant didnt even flinch to ask for i.d and i thought well well.......i am well above the age to purchase alcohol and i was refused but yet a 17 year old bought a case of lager......come on tescos

Well then you should have spoke up and brought your concerns to the manager.................................

[quote=tomacomen;546823]but doesnt common sense and judgement take even less?

Look,its common sense for the assistant to ask for id if she/he is not sure what age the buyer is.Think about it.

[quote=Look,its common sense for the assistant to ask for id if she/he is not sure what age the buyer is.Think about it.

Well then you should have spoke up and brought your concerns to the manager................................. [/quote]

Why should i when its common sense for the assistant to ask.......not my job......they i.d people who are clearly of age to purchase alcohol and refuse when they have i.d but yet a 17 year old can walk in purchase alcohol no questions asked and leave......where is the common sense there.....i rest my case TESCOS POLICY = RUBBISH

The Till operators are prompted by their tills every time alcohol items are scanned, if they are in doubt , they have to ask, its more than their jobs worth.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    The Till operators are prompted by their tills every time alcohol items are scanned, if they are in doubt , they have to ask, its more than their jobs worth.
    Thank's Golach,for some common sense!

TESCOS POLICY = RUBBISH
    You just dont get it do you???!!!!
    It's the licensing law not Tesco policy.Get it now?!!Take your time!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    You just dont get it do you???!!!!
    It's the licensing law not Tesco policy.Get it now?!!Take your time!
    Actually, you are quite wrong. It is not the law, it is Tesco's policy.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

You should have left the lager finished paying sent your OH out to the car with the shopping and gone back in on your own and bought the lager. There is nothing they can do if you are on your own and have id.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Auldtimer you need to read up on this subject.
    Its the law from the government for all licenced premises.
    Speak to anyone who works in the trade and it'll become clear.

doh!
    some people are just ...........

dx

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    doh!
    some people are just ...........

dx
    Yeah i know..............

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Auldtimer you need to read up on this subject.
    Its the law from the government for all licenced premises.
    Speak to anyone who works in the trade and it'll become clear.
    As far as I can find, and yes I have searched, there is no LAW which requires anyone to look 21/25 years of age to be able to buy alcohol.
    This may be a Government recommendation, but I can't find that on any of the woeful sites that I have looked at either.
    If Tesco or any other outlet make that their policy, then that's their decision, not the LAW.
    The LAW is that anyone over the age of 18 years can buy any alcoholic product, end of.
    If you can provide links to any reliable sources I'd be only to pleased to be proved wrong.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Superceltic I'm with you on this, from your post it has become clear to me that you were the person doing the transaction with tesco, and when asked for proof of age you rightly obliged. The sales assistant should have been happy with that and no one else in the party should have been asked for ID as you were the person making the purchase. As your other half was there with you at the time is in fact irrelevant as far as the law is concerned and the sales assistant should not have asked him for ID as he was not making the purchase. tesco in my opinion have gone to far on this occasion. It should not matter who is in the party with you when you make your purchase as long as you have satisfied the legal requirement with regards to proof of age, sales assistants should also realise that common sense is not very common in tesco. After all if you have a pint of milk in your fridge I don't suppose it means that you would have a cow in your back garden.
    Last edited by maverick; 15-May-09 at 09:10.

It's the Scottish Licensing rule and Tesco's and any other licensed outlet are required by law to adhere to it.You are right you can buy alcohol if you are 18 or over but without id licensed premises will adhere to the "think 25"rule.

As far as I can find, and yes I have searched, there is no LAW which requires anyone to look 21/25 years of age to be able to buy alcohol.
    This may be a Government recommendation, but I can't find that on any of the woeful sites that I have looked at either.
    If Tesco or any other outlet make that their policy, then that's their decision, not the LAW.
    The LAW is that anyone over the age of 18 years can buy any alcoholic product, end of.
    If you can provide links to any reliable sources I'd be only to pleased to be proved wrong.
    Cannae be bothered .
    You just want to attack Tescos as it seems you have a grudge against it.
    Everyone who works for a retail company that sells alcohol has been informed about the change to selling regulations but you still dont believe so no matter what i or the government say you wont believe as you will argue all the way .sophistry is a word you should look up too!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast