Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tescos policy

Thumbs down Tescos policy

Was in Tescos this eveing with my partner and amoungst our shopping was a case of lager, we used the self service and were approached by the checkout assistant for i.d, embarrased i had to go back to the car to get my drivers license and gave it to the woman she then asked me partner for i.d and he never had any i.d on him as it was myself that was bying the shopping. she then proceeded to inform us that she could not sell the alcohol to us as my partner had no i.d!!! after a dispute with her we asked to speak to a manager as the woman took her job far to seriously! she spoke to the manager a distance from us which i thought was very unprofesional as she should of explained and let us put our side of the dispute accross. They said they couldnt sell us the alcohol as my partner had no i.d so we put to them that if a father came in with his 16 year old son would he be refused if the son had no i.d??? i know its their job to ask for i.d but for god sakes get a grip!

That's nothing I got ID'd for non alcoholic lager t'other week

In fairness my mate had some bucks fizz (for his Mrs. allegedly).

The young lass at the till (who knew me) turned and asked the old bag beside her if it was ok to sell it to us. Old bag snarled in a monstrous fashion "have they got ID?"

My ID was in the car and there was no chance I was going back out for it (I had just spent several hours in A&E because a screw started coming out of my leg but that's another story)

So I said to ye olde bag "Why kind miss, I am only here to buy the beer of the non alcoholic nature. Why would I need ID? I wish to pay for my own whilst my companion will pay for his"

Between a mixture of flames and spit she growled back "Your with him and what he has is alcoholic"

So the young lass pipes up "I know him and he's over 20"

"Not good enough" snaps the beast

By this time a nice lady in a suit came along and asked what was wrong so I explained the predicament. The young lass said again "I know him and he's over 20" to which the suited lady said "OK serve them"

I commented that it was a bit much over some non alcoholic beers, so she studied case of beers and after 2 long and painful minutes...... "It has alcohol content" *turns over the package* "See, 0.05%"
    (There's probably the same if not more beer in Shandy and I remember buying my 1st tin of Top Deck from the Spar in Mount Pleasant Road when I was 8!!!)

And away I went and got blazing!!!!

The old bat women commented that Tesco are soon planning to bring in "think 25" which will obviously make this situation even worse!!!

The whole thing was quite embarrassing and I'm just glad the manageress (Or whoever the suited lady was) sorted it so quickly!!

Default id

yes i no tescos are known for being overly cautious for id.i actually work in a shop mysel where we sell alcohol and it can be quite hard at times to judge whos of age and whos not.but most shops now state with notices ie look under 25yrs of age then be prepared to be asked for id,and i dare say come the new laws from september its going to be tougher as it will be the actual shop assistant that will be prosecuted,fined etc if they are caught for selling alcohol to anyone underage.

I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THIS WILL MAKE MYSELF EXTREMELY MORE CAUTIOUS!!

no sorry
    i must defend and compliment tescos.

the national guidelines [appears to be under 21] they are adhering too are there for a reason.

if the op and her friend appeared to be under 21, then ID should be checked.
    as for the father and son issue, thats obviously not an issue if you think about it.

try living 100yrs down from tescos and clearing up the empty cans thrown in your garden every night from the kids that do get alcohol from there some how or washing down your garden wall which is used a fav p*ss stop.

dx

The way I look at it is if you're going in to buy drink then you are consenting to being asked to prove your age. No buts or may bes, end of.

But if someone thinks I need to provide prove of my age then I'd buy them a drink as well.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

With Tescos' 'think 21' changing to 'think 25' on 25th May I can only suggest that people start bringing proof of age with them when coming to any shop to buy an age restricted product. Many forms of ID are accepted such as Driving licence, passport, citizencard or any ID card with the 'Pass' hologram and photographic ID.

Customer assistants and the store can be prosecuted and/or fined up to £5000 and the customer assistant will also get a criminal record for selling to somebody under age. I dont think any customer assistant would want that.

You can apply for a citizenscard online here: http://www.citizencard.com/

Default id for drink

Dont know about tescos but i remember going to bin ends in wick and beind refused achohol by the old woman there as she said it was for someone else even tho i was alone and well over 40 so i asked to speak to her boss and he respected her wishes as she said i was buyin it for someone else and that was agains the law so when i told him he breaks the law every day he looked bemused as i explaned that under agers get taxi drivers to pick up there drink or did the old woman and him think it was for the taxi driver ..dont think so and i told him he had double standards but hopefully he has now stoppped givin drink to taxi drivers other wise they are still breaking the law ..maybe the police should have a word with taxi service also to put a stop to under agers getting drink this way...
    Last edited by phil1958; 09-May-09 at 11:39. Reason: spellig

The check out assistant was only doing there job and quite right to

I love getting asked for ID sometimes. Makes me feel like a spring chicken. Plus im only 20!

But when me and my OH were in Portree we were getting some shopping from their lovely wee Coop. My OH was buying his mum some wine and he got a few Smirnoff Ice's too. He got asked for ID and he was over the moon because he is 27. Trust me....he looks his age! (thank goodness he wont be reading this)
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

This country's policies get more ridiculous by the day. An 18yr old can go in a pub to buy alcohol but not an off-licence??? You couldn't make it up.

Default tesco

I know the age is 21 but i was aked for id and i'm 42 and definatly dont look 21 ( i wish ) needless to say i was a bit embarrased. I was in the other week and bought 6 bottles of wine i had my 15 year old with me the cashier asked was the wine for me. Now would i really be buying 6 bottles of wine for a 15 year old and if i was was i really going to say yes no i dont think so

In thoery does this mean that a mature man or woman can not buy drink for adult consumption in their own home if shopping with their children in tow?

Agree there should be firm rules to stop underage drinking and older folk buying drink for kids, but this is getting silly, and I don`t drink alcohol so it only affects me if I am behind the folk ahead of me in the queue having a dispute with the checkout operator.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Simple answer, if you dont want my money I will go somewhere else, I canna see the problem.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I could do with a wee boost so if they want to ask me for id I would be chuffed.But usually go shopping with my kids Lauren nearly 3 and Iona 1 next week but they wont be drinking the alcohol .... Hubby and I wont be either as I only buy the cheap stuff I use for cooking with anyway!

Any drink which has 0.5%abv(alcohol by volume)is defined as being alcoholic.
    Selling alcohol or any other age restricted product to anyone under age is an offence which could lead to a personal and store fine and/or prosecution.
    Even if you know that the customer is 19 and wants to purchase alcohol id will still be requested by the shop assistant.No id no sale.
    The shop/store is required by law to help prevent crime and disorder,public nuisance,help secure public safety,protect children from harm and improve health within Scotland.All organisations and individuals in the licensing industry must uphold these five licensing objectives.Failure to do so could result in their license being revoked,personal prosecution or even a prison sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    This country's policies get more ridiculous by the day. An 18yr old can go in a pub to buy alcohol but not an off-licence??? You couldn't make it up.

The same rules apply to pubs and clubs too.They must ask for id and if they dont they are breaking the licensing laws.

You can buy alcohol in an off-licence at 18. The "Think 21 rule" is that if the assistant thinks someone looks under 21 they will be asked for proof of age.

Quote Originally Posted by superceltic View Post
    Was in Tescos this eveing with my partner and amoungst our shopping was a case of lager, we used the self service and were approached by the checkout assistant for i.d, embarrased i had to go back to the car to get my drivers license and gave it to the woman she then asked me partner for i.d and he never had any i.d on him as it was myself that was bying the shopping. she then proceeded to inform us that she could not sell the alcohol to us as my partner had no i.d!!! after a dispute with her we asked to speak to a manager as the woman took her job far to seriously! she spoke to the manager a distance from us which i thought was very unprofesional as she should of explained and let us put our side of the dispute accross. They said they couldnt sell us the alcohol as my partner had no i.d so we put to them that if a father came in with his 16 year old son would he be refused if the son had no i.d??? i know its their job to ask for i.d but for god sakes get a grip!

The shop assistant did nowt wrong here,she abided by the licensing laws.As your friend was with you but had no id she was quite right in refusing the sale.To stop this repeatedly happening it's better for your friend to get photo id even if he is 18 or over.If he looks under 25 he will be refused without it.Signs warning you of this have to be displayed on the premise entrance,around the store and at the tills so really you would have known you would be asked before you reached the tills.It's better to be prepared than risk "embarassment".

Exclamation

No Jox, the 18 year old can buy any alcohol drinks with proof of age no problem.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

its a joke. if an underager wants drink they can get it somewhere, and thats the case all over the country.

The last few times ive bought alcohol from tescos ive not had a problem, however there was one case where i was id'd 3 times in 3 days by the same cashier (no, im not an alchy!)! now, what i dont understand is how someone cant remember someone who they've id'd the 2 previous days!

sorry to say, but some of the staff seem like complete jobsworths out for extra brownie points, or mabye they've just got a little bit of power and are abusing it. who knows?!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast