Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Now look what you've done!

Default Now look what you've done!

All that wishing for snow, the snow dances, the prayers to the weather deities, the petitions handed into Tugmistress etc........and now we're snowed-in! Well thanks a lot you snow-loving orgers!
    March is suppose to be spring, unbelievable!

You get what you give

krieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    All that wishing for snow, the snow dances, the prayers to the weather deities, the petitions handed into Tugmistress etc........and now we're snowed-in! Well thanks a lot you snow-loving orgers!

no problem savemen lol

Typical, why do we get snowed in at the weekend? I could have done with being snowed in on a day I had to go to work!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Oh, but the pictures are magnificent.

Seriously are you all stuck up there and cant get out,its not too bad on Skye just now the sun is out and its lovely and warm but snow so compacted its not melting .
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Nowt to do with me Saveman lol
    anyway, where are you to be snowed in? got any good tracks round there i can play along and take some piccies? lol

Don't worry, it'll disappear after tuesday
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

knightofeth Guest

Where do you all live? I was about to head through to Wick.. are the roads over there bad?

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop
    Seriously are you all stuck up there and cant get out,its not too bad on Skye just now the sun is out and its lovely and warm but snow so compacted its not melting .
    The sun has just come out here too...it's so strong, i can hardly look out!! strange weather!!

A series of very heavy snow showers this morning and early afternoon has tipped it over the edge. Another one on just now.....I believe the main road between Wick and Thurso is not too bad, but if this keeps up, it'll certainly make things interesting.
    You get what you give

I'm not trying to be funny here, just asking an innocent Canadian question - do they have snowplows in Caithness? I was only there during the summer.

A series of very heavy snow showers this morning and early afternoon has tipped it over the edge. Another one on just now.....I believe the main road between Wick and Thurso is not too bad, but if this keeps up, it'll certainly make things interesting.
    Main road is totally clear from Bilbster to Wick. Was also fine from Wick to Lybster a few hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    I'm not trying to be funny here, just asking an innocent Canadian question - do they have snowplows in Caithness? I was only there during the summer.
    Yes but when the weather gets like this they are working full time just to keep the main roads open......wee "b" roads like mine don't get a look in.
    You get what you give

We do have snowplows but they tend to only do the main roads so if you live on a back road you can get snowed in until a farmer comes along with a tractor and plow.

Went to Inverness on the bus yesterday and it was just so beautiful - blue sky most of the way and clean white snow. Came back in a friend's car today and thought we might not make it as signs said Helmsdale snow gates were closed but, although the police were there sorting us out, we got through. Worst bit was my drive - my friend's car was skidding everywhere in thick snow. It's fine so long as you don't need to travel, then it's a pain. Did see a proper snowplough though and the gritters and council ploughs are everywhere. Inverness was just mucky yesterday, all wet and slushy so couldn't see how deep puddles were. The council seemed to have given up although they could easily have kept pavements and crossing bits of roads clear, result this morning was solid ice everyhere.

I was staying opposite a hairdresser who must have complained to the council as a grit truck came along, man got out with bucket and sloshed grit on the road just outside the shop, got back in again and drove off. Bad luck for everyone else who presumably pay same rates (mostly B&Bs).
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Default Winter Roads Info

Since Canuck asked here are some facts about Highland winter road maintenance planning. Councillors get all sortsof info sent to them -

The council are spending £5.9 million on winter maintenance in this financial year. From the beginning of October until the end of March the Council monitors roads and weather conditions for the treatment of ice and snow conditions on local roads. Gritting and snowploughing vehicles are deployed throughout the council areas. It is not possible to treat every road at the same time, so priority routes have been established.

Approx. 230 road staff available to operate vehicles/tackle gritting etc.

No. of gritting vehicles covering the Highland Area = 140 (26 cover Inverness Area) Gritters also have the snow ploughs fitted on the front

Snowblowers = 8

Salt = 50,000 tonnes

Thanks for the picture of the snowplow on the home page.

Thanks for the picture of the snowplow on the home page.
    Is there one of the snowblower??