Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Photograph forum

Thumbs up Photograph forum

As the photograph thread has proved very popular (there are some excellent photos!) can we have a forum of it's own where us orgers can post photos rather than taking up space on the message board forum? It can only increase to the popularity of Caithness.org. Hence all the other users from different parts of the world can post their own photos, then everyone can see what its like where everyone else lives.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Great idea!
    Niall's the man to deal with that one.
    You get what you give

Thumbs up

I think this is a great idea! I have really enjoyed looking at the photos! Especially the scenery and animal photos.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Arrow

Yes, that would be a good idea. It's nice to see other parts of the county / country / world. Bring it on!!

Default Orgers Elsewhere

A few years ago in the ealry days of the Org I thought it might be an idea wto link eveyone with a section for folk away from the county.

It was st up and a few folk sent in some details an photos but it petered out. the section is still there but needs a revamp. We have moved on quite bit since then but the basic idea I think is still what we thought about nearly four years ago. The section still sits at http://www.caithness.org/caithnesspe...here/index.htm

We will put our heads together to see if we can think up a way of taking it forward. A way that does not involve too much admin for us here. We have several other new ideas on the drawing board and if we take on too much nothing will get completed.

Feel free to make suggestions on this thread if they will assist in moving things on.

Thanks Bill, I really do hope we can get it up and running. It should be quite exciting.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Can we set some size limits on images posted or linked to?
    Not everyone has broadband and some of the pictures posted in the other threads have been HUGE - 2032 x 1520 - compare that to the most used resolution of 1024 x 768 - and 2032x1520 at full size is a whopping 28" x 21".

On most monitors that is just too large. And uploading 8MB images to your host for display on the internet just uses up any limit you mght have on your account.

Resizing your image before uploading to something like 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 @72dpi is more than adequate for displaying on a monitor. It also means the page will load faster for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    Can we set some size limits on images posted or linked to?
    Not everyone has broadband and some of the pictures posted in the other threads have been HUGE - 2032 x 1520 - compare that to the most used resolution of 1024 x 768 - and 2032x1520 at full size is a whopping 28" x 21".

On most monitors that is just too large. And uploading 8MB images to your host for display on the internet just uses up any limit you mght have on your account.

Resizing your image before uploading to something like 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 @72dpi is more than adequate for displaying on a monitor. It also means the page will load faster for everyone.
    Quite agree.
    If everyone who wants to post photos registers with photobucket.com or such like, the photos are automatically resized.