Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Science The New Religion? Is it Making us Paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick
    But...to someone who can not see, nor ever will, how do you prove the nature of light?
    Jesus said 'I am the light' so I guess those blind people are precluded from Faith.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Relationships aren't something you can measure. There is not "stuff" to them, yet we acknowledge their existence.
    Geneticists have discovered a genetic link to a propensity to Faith and biochemists have described memory and emotional behavior in terms of chemical orientation in the brain. So, there is an element of "stuff" to Faith and the measurement of relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Jesus said 'I am the light' so I guess those blind people are precluded from Faith.
    If you want to get all literal, then remember that the Christian Faith speaks of 2 realms. In the "kingdom of God", blindness will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    If you want to get all literal, then remember that the Christian Faith speaks of 2 realms. In the "kingdom of God", blindness will be gone.
    Christian fundamentalists believe in the literal word of God ie the Bible.

If Jesus said he was the light and Blind people can't see it, then so be it.

Why should they be? Light exists! Just because they don't have the eyes to see it, doesn't mean it's not there. However, they don't have the capability to understand the true nature of light. They can feel the warmth of the sun, and know that it can burn their skin so they know its there, but they can never totally understand what it IS.

So I think it is with God. We can sort of sense the power of God, through natural acts that we can't explain (miracles) and through the harmony that exists throughout the universe; we can harness this power through meditation and prayer, but with our piddly little minds we can't hope to understand the true nature of that which we call God. IMHO of course!

We can sort of sense the power of God, through natural acts that we can't explain (miracles) and through the harmony that exists throughout the universe; we can harness this power through meditation and prayer, but with our piddly little minds we can't hope to understand the true nature of that which we call God. IMHO of course!
    I don't sense the power of God, has He forsaken me?

I thought God loved ALL his children?

I don't sense the power of God, has He forsaken me?

I thought God loved ALL his children?
    Of course She does, just that she loves some more than others ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shalom
    Because that is what the Hebrew word "yom" means.....in the Bible, it ALWAYS refers to a 24 hour day.
    was the Old Testement writen in Hebrew? I thought they were writen in a variety of "Semitic languages related to Hebrew" (New Oxford Annotated Bible).
    So that could be Hebrew interpretation. Not to mention the bible is constantly undergoing revision as more is is found out about languages at time (Dead Sea Scrolls etc)

Of course She does, just that she loves some more than others ;-)
    Then God is not fair and equal to all His children? He made me into a non-believer, why would he make it impossible for me to enter his Kingdom of Heaven?

Wink

If there is a God then prove it.
    That is the beauty of religion.

All the proof that is needed is Faith.

Then God is not fair and equal to all His children? He made me into a non-believer, why would he make it impossible for me to enter his Kingdom of Heaven?

He gave us free will, a choice.
    He's not interested in forcing you to believe in him.
    He's given you all the evidence you need to make a decision. Rom 1:20
    An amazing gift. What will you choose?
    You get what you give

Well, if you're a non-believer, then it follows that you don't believe in Heaven, so why does it matter whether or not you get into something that (according to you) doesn't exist?

I personally don't believe in the Christian God, so I can't answer your question for you. I do believe that there is a force in the universe that we don't understand, but can sense, and we choose to call it God. I don't know if this makes me a heretic, or dooms me to eternal damnation, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    What will you choose?
    I will use my freewill to believe in a sentient God when I see good evidence for it. But I also have my own view on God, it is another name for Energy. It neither demands worship or judges, then again if Energy is God then the arguement about Religion v Science is just a semantic one, except that Religion has thrown in the sentience to confuse matters.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 04-Mar-06 at 22:04.

Well, if you're a non-believer, then it follows that you don't believe in Heaven, so why does it matter whether or not you get into something that (according to you) doesn't exist?
    I can't recall saying that Heaven doesn't exist (though admittedly I think it), but I would say it does if I see good evidence for it.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 04-Mar-06 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    The Earth was formed ~ 4.5 billion years ago and is round, yet despite of all the proof of it, eg, satellite images and radiochemical analysis, some people think that the Earth is flat and it was formed by God in 4004 BC.

When Faith blinds the senses they ultimately just make themselves look like buffoons.

Smile

This is great stuff like a chinese whisper that keeps on going...

I think each person would be judged on his understanding of the truth that would only be fair and make each individual responsible for his own actions .

'Many mansions I have if it were not so I would not have said so.'

I think we'll be pleased with wherever we go as long as we live up to the principles we know to be true. Of course truth is not always clear .

But truth will set us "free" as the biblical phrase goes and I believe scientists and religion[in its purest form] will agree with that.

"Free" from any pause on the route to pure intelligence and joy and unity.

Yuk thats sounds trite oh well....

I can't recall saying that Heaven doesn't exist (though admittedly I think it), but I would say it does if I see good evidence for it.
    My apologies...I assumed that as a self-admitted "non-believer" that meant the entire doctrine, not just the Creator.

Course, I picked up on your true sentiments tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    That is the beauty of religion.

Is Faith a proof tho? I would have thought that Faith, by its very nature, was the ABSENCE of proof.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    But truth will set us "free" as the biblical phrase goes and I believe scientists and religion[in its purest form] will agree with that.
    Theologians and Science deal in different definitions of 'Truth'.

Science deals in the Truth that can be disproved as a lie. Theologians deal in the definition of Truth in the way that an Architect would walk into a Church(an analogy of Faith) and see that the walls are perpendicular and the beams are horizontal, they are True and strong, so the Church or one's Faith has Truth to withstand life's challenges to Faith.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 04-Mar-06 at 22:26.

Theologians and Science deal in different definitions of 'Truth'.

Science deals in the Truth that can be disproved as a lie. Theologians deal in the definition of Truth in the way that an Architect would walk into a Church(an analogy of Faith) and see that the walls are perpendicular and the beams are horizontal, they are True and strong, so the Church or one's Faith has Truth to withstand life's challenges to Faith.
    One's walls may be plumb and one's beams may be horizontal, but if your foundations are built upon sand, then "sure as God made little green apples" your house will fall.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast