Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Science The New Religion? Is it Making us Paranoid?

Default Is Science The New Religion? Is it Making us Paranoid?

I'm used to hearing about pestilences and diseases, earthquakes,and prophecies from biblical sources but from science?

Is it misquotes or misrepresentation from the media that is confusing me.or is it just bad science?

The world is warming up, The world is cooling down.
    No some parts are really warming up and other bits will see a new ice age.
    Global warming is not happening

Its all our fault because of fossil fuels
    No its the worlds natural cycle.
    But theres still time to make a difference
    No its already too late.

The world is going to be flooded Within the next 100 years
    No a 3rd of it is in 50 years.
    No its already began and we should start building an ark now[okay I made that up]

Bird flu is a sweeping pandemic that will kill millions
    No need to panic its all under control
    Its killing people already
    Its not crossed over into a human form yet?
    Kill all birds... now there putting down cats...there making up as they go along.

Super Volcano in Yellowstone will destroy the world
    Well it may do one day

Meteorite strike could happen any moment
    A meteorite strike of the type that killed the dinosaurs is unlikely to happen .

Don't drink red wine
    Do drink red wine

Don't eat meat
    Organic meat is good in small quantities
    Meat may cause cancer
    Worcester Sauce may cause cancer
    Dieting is bad for us
    We must diet or we'll become obese

The list goes on indeed it already has already...religion has been accused of
    keeping us in the dark, confusing us with so many man made ideas, betraying us,controlling us, sounds like science and the media are doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    keeping us in the dark, confusing us with so many man made ideas, betraying us,controlling us, sounds like science and the media are doing the same.
    Main difference I can see between science and religion is that religion expects you to take non-understood concepts on faith alone, whereas science expects you to take non-understood concepts and think about them, test them, and discard answers that don't work.

It is entirely possible that the answers to various concepts proposed by religion are correct - maybe God did create the universe in 6 days - but it goes against a scientist's grain to accept anything as fact without being able to test it.

Why is religion so scared of science anyways? Understanding the scientific basis behind something that seems miraculous doesn't lessen the wonder of it. I know and understand how rainbows are created through light refraction, and don't believe they were placed in the atmosphere by God as a reminder never to destroy the world by flood again; I still stop and look at one with a bit of awe. Same with sunrises that light up the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick

It is entirely possible that the answers to various concepts proposed by religion are correct - maybe God did create the universe in 6 days - but it goes against a scientist's grain to accept anything as fact without being able to test it.
    Why does the word "day" in the context of the Genesis account in the Bible have to mean a literal 24 hour period?
    Ashley Giles - the thinking man's Shane Warne.

Quote Originally Posted by Tymey
    Why does the word "day" in the context of the Genesis account in the Bible have to mean a literal 24 hour period?
    I personally don't think that it does. I would think that it just means a period of time. Technically, it couldn't, because the first four "days" occured before the sun and the moon were created, and as our days are defined by one rotation of our Earth on its axis as respects the position of the earth to the Sun, so you can't have an earth "day" before the sun is created.

Why is religion so scared of science anyways?
    Because it makes us question, and religion depends on people believing (blindly in my opinion) in the word of god as religion has deemed fit to interpret it.

The only downside to science is that it denies one rationale that is as old as time and has allowed many species to evolve and survive. Instinct!

I believe 'I know' there is a life after death, I don't question it, I never waiver from it no matter what events happen in my life. But I can't scientifically prove it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm used to hearing about pestilences and diseases, earthquakes,and prophecies from biblical sources but from science?

Is it misquotes or misrepresentation from the media that is confusing me.or is it just bad science?

No its already too late.

No its already began and we should start building an ark now[okay I made that up]

Kill all birds... now there putting down cats...there making up as they go along.

Well it may do one day

A meteorite strike of the type that killed the dinosaurs is unlikely to happen .

Don't drink red wine
    Do drink red wine

Don't eat meat
    Meat may cause cancer
    Dieting is bad for us

Taken out of context nothing makes sense and everything can be contradictory.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

No its already too late.

Well it may do one day

Don't drink red wine
    Do drink red wine

Don't eat meat
    Meat may cause cancer
    Dieting is bad for us

No its already too late.

Well it may do one day

Don't drink red wine
    Do drink red wine

Don't eat meat
    Meat may cause cancer
    Dieting is bad for us

They are. A lot of guesswork is involved.....if I'd a penny for eveytime I see a news report saying "scientist are having to rethink their theories...." I'd have enough for some shopping this week! Still, they're just trying their best....
    Last edited by Saveman; 04-Mar-06 at 20:45.
    You get what you give

When it comes to predicting the future, especially of a decade or more, I am as impressed by present day predictions as I am by those of the Prophets of Doom in the Old Testament. All you had to do was follow their advice and all would be well and God would punish you if you didn't.
    Those who got it right were hailed as the Messengers of God, those who got it wrong were either forgotten or condemned as False Prophets.
    Only those who got it right are remembered with any reverence.
    All you have to do is heed the warnings, mend your ways and all will be well.
    Failure to do so will invoke the wrath of the Almighty and disaster will be visited upon you, your children and your children's children unto the seventh generation.

The predictions made by both Politicians and Scientist during my youth had the same success as somebody predicting the winner of the Grand National in 2020.

Oh yes. And at that time they were certain we were heading rapidly into the next Ice Age. Well, there had been a few very bad winters during the previous couple of decades.

You can believe in the dire warnings of doom from either God or Science, it's your choice whichever you follow with blind faith.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

You would think as technology advances increase and man becomes more enlightened that the world would get better, isn't it interesting that the Bible said it would get worse?
    You get what you give

isn't there a quote, Don't ask me the chapter or verse, in the bible that says, 'one day is like unto a thousand years to the lord and a thousand year like unto one day'.
    This being the case, the world was created in six thousand years - or a thousand years may have been translated wrongly. It could mean 6 million years.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Science a new religion?....

......who cares?

You believe in what you believe in, it's your belief and that's it. What can become a problem is how deeply you are convicted by your belief. The more convicted you are the more you can stand up against or succesfully answer the barrage of questions and challenges from others who can't, don't or won't accept your belief.

Why can't you believe in Science and Religion (or God for that matter) existing together? Does Science have to determine that there is no God and that everything always was and everything always will be without a creator having been there? We already came across this in another thread. Do you have a soul and spirit as well as a body? One is physical the other two are not. The body is the physical presence of your being and science would agree with that - but there are realms of science that look to prove that the other two exist also - is science looking to prove the theories of religious strains or looking to deny them?

The belief in God as stated in the bible does not allow for a belief in other gods as stated in other religious books. Religion is an evil in the context of the bible because the term religion holds to the belief in "a" supreme being but doesn't hold to a belief in "the" supreme being. The first commandment does not allow for any other gods.

So, science and religion may war against each other until the end of time - neither are feared to the person who believes in God. The answer for everything - or a cop-out to those who find that it is the easiest of answers to get away from those who have all the questions!!

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

.....now following the above and given the conversation last night Rheggers, this is now your opportunity to wade in and get going ......

well said weeboyagee
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

My original question wasn't supposed to pit religion against science I was trying to get across how some people I know seem to go from one crisis to the next dictated to by the media which sensationalises each scientific report they get their hands on.
    In a similar way to how some portray religion as being for the ignorant, science or the media take your pick is manipulating the lives of the ignorant also .

And of course the scientist wipes his hands and takes no responsibility for the consequences its usually the politician, or Gods fault.

Because that is what the Hebrew word "yom" means.....in the Bible, it ALWAYS refers to a 24 hour day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalom
    Because that is what the Hebrew word "yom" means.....in the Bible, it ALWAYS refers to a 24 hour day.
    How do you measure hours before the earth and sun were created?
    Last edited by Saveman; 04-Mar-06 at 17:13.
    You get what you give

Here is a theory that maybe throws daylight on this question
    http://www.sundials.co.uk/tbhou.htm
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I am not an expert on Hebrew however a quick bit of research on the word Yom shows many references to it having multi uses, sometimes 24 hours, sometimes a time period such as a growing season or the length of a king's reign.

knightofeth Guest

I think this news story has a lot of truth to it and answers the question: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4771154.stm

Is Science The New Religion?
    No.

DrSzin BSc DPhil CPhys

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast