Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: viking bowl

Default viking bowl

Decided would take my son bowling today , so off we went on the bus from wick got there at 1.30 to be told it does not open till 2 ok we thought no probs will have a drink and wait, well come 2 oclock off we go to have a game of bowls, ho but we have no lanes free till 5, disapointed we decided we would go to cinema watch a good movie , then decided we would walk into thurso go to central for something to eat, but low and behold it was closed . So we went back to viking bowl and decided to eat there well wish had not bothered the food was awful and expensive just wanted to know has anyone else eaten there recently and if so what did they think of the food x

Default Poor

Thats a shame. The viking bowl is crap. The lanes are NEVER working, and if they are, they break every third go. Food is rubbish, always the same stuff. I do enjoy a hot dog and chips, dont get me wrong. But for something like £6?! I can go somewhere far better and get a meal the same price if not cheaper. The cinema is a poor show too. Only just got Gran Torino in the cinema. Its been out months. I never go bowling or to the cinema because its utter rubbish. Thats awful.. (Sorry for ranting!)

I phoned to book for my daughters birthday as she wants a bowling party this year. Low and behold no bowling on a Wed anymore as leagues are done. Is the bowling alley not for the public seems not all they care about are the leagues. I will have a party at the house instead now.

the place has gone down hill (not even rapidly!) In its heyday there were league nights on most nights and you could hardly get a public game but because the lanes were not maintained properly the bowlers became disheartened and drifted away.

My daughter was a very promising junior but got fed up with it after seeing how Rollerbowl in Inverness operate - in her 1st competition down there she came back with a handicap of "0" - there would be no way she could keep that up in Thurso as the lanes were never oiled often enough, kept breaking down and seemed to be maintained by schoolkids.

The owners could make such a go with it if they seemed to bother - family deals - bowling and a meal, cinema & bowling etc

such a shame that we have this great facility on our doorstep but because of no proper marketing by management its getting a bad reputation

I have to agree with Dragonfly. I too was a league bowler but increasingly late nights and despondency because the lanes were constantly breaking down resulted in me pulling out.

There used to be leagues Mon - Thu which gave the alley a decent income on non-peak nights - not just from the bowling, but drinks and some food sales too.

It could be a great family entertainment centre in the right hands. I believe it is for sale just now so I hope someone with some vision and ideas (as well as more customer-oriented management) takes over the place.

It's never been that well run. I didnt know it was up for sale. Is perth butcher Simon Howie still involved with it? He of course is in no way connected with the previous owner who allegedly squandered rather a lot of CASE money.

The cinema is quite good though in comparison.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Thumbs down

The place has been a shambles for years now, there has been quite a lot about how bad it is in the 'Recommendations' section, it has soooooooo much potential, but the incompetent management have just ruined it.

It used to be not too bad but once it went into receivership and back again I think that it when it REALLY went downhill.

It is a real shame, I remember going there when I was little to play with my family and going for meals.
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

i think i heard that they are in receivership again...
    When life hands you lemons, crack open the tequila

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    The cinema is quite good though in comparison.
    Is it? i have to say its the worst cinema i've ever been to, mainly as the prices are higher than any down south and for not as big a screen, they also hardly get any movies showing that i want to see.

but i guess in comparison to the bowling alley part it is better but thats not difficult

It's all relative. Nice of you to notice my "in comparison" comment.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I used to live a few doors down from the Bowling Alley. Always went there to play on the dance machine and play pool when i was younger. Now its pure pants.

Last time i went there for food it was over-priced and not very tasty. Such a disappointment because i used to love their Cajun chicken!

The bowling lanes are a disgrace, refuse to bowl anymore either and i used to love it. I was no good at it but enjoyed it! For my birthday when i was in Primary 7 i wanted a bowling party, there was a league game on and we got told to shut up and play in quiet! We were primary 7 girls what to you expect? So we had a shaprone (sp) and my mum ended up having a brawl with the management!

Me and my OH are waiting for Wolverine to come out in Thurso cinema. Dont look like its going to happen though! The prices for the cinema are rediculous too! I can get a family ticket plus popcorn for 4 in Inverness for about £20! Pay that for 2 up here.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bish667 View Post
    Is it? i have to say its the worst cinema i've ever been to, mainly as the prices are higher than any down south and for not as big a screen, they also hardly get any movies showing that i want to see.
    Surely the price doesn't make it the worst cinema, just the priciest? Given its location I would expect it to be dearer than most. It's simple maths, less people to use it equals higher prices. I find the cinema experience itself fine there. However the running of it could be better. I phoned a few days ago to ask when the new StarTrek film was being shown and they had no idea. They couldn't even give an estimate. I've never received a reply from their website asking about film dates either.

I went up to see "Watchmen" when it was up and one of the coming soon trailers was a film called "Gran Torino". I found this disgraceful as they had already shown that 2 weeks previously, clearly they'd taken longer to get Watchmen due to however much it was goiin to cost them on release. but they could have at least changed their trailers.
    I then noticed that they showed "Gran Torino" again, what was the point in that? Could be wrong but Watchmen was a bigger hit than Gran Torino so did they make any profit from showing it for 2 weeks?

Also i can understand them charging £2 for a bottle of juice as that normally costs about a £1 anywhere else, but they charge £2 for a bottle of water than normally costs 50p.

They wonder why they dont get much business
    I personally go about once a year due to the time it takes for them to get the films i want to watch, thats if they get it at all.

it was better as the glove factory eh?
    it's a sair fecht

Quote Originally Posted by jings00 View Post
    it was better as the glove factory eh?
    My mum used to work there!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bish667 View Post
    Is it? i have to say its the worst cinema i've ever been to, mainly as the prices are higher than any down south
    You could be right there.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/entertain...ices-area.html
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    It's simple maths, less people to use it equals higher prices.
    It's not simple economic laws though in relation to supply and demand. Little demand for something usually lowers the price.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I think not, my local Odeon is £7.50 for an adult at anytime plus charge 75p if pay by card! and if you go during the day is about £3.00 parking too. Don't even ask how expensive the sweets etc are I take my own. Still Wolverine is appealing tonight despite the cost as big screen and great sound.

Just get a big high def tv and surround sound, then you can watch what you want whenever you want and not have to pay stupid prices to watch a film once.
    By the time the cinema here gets the film its already out on dvd anyway

Have to agree i would like to watch the new wolverine film up here but will they get it
    Dont think the Fast and the Furious film has been up yet has it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast