Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: email addy

Default email addy

I tried to send an entry to the book contest to bill@caithness.org, but it was returned as a wrong addy.
    Anyone know why ?

Default email addy

Isn't that what I wrote ?

It is Issy2, it is.

Lo,

Sometimes the server is down and it just bounces the message, just send it again and it should be ok.

Cheers
    Colin Manson

Default email addy

fanks !!!

Default email addy

I tried again and it won't go .....
    I think I'll give up - - I didn't want the book anyway.......

Wounded Soldier Guest

why was my post tooken off huh????

Default Possible Reason

I am currently8 bouncing hotmail and yahoo email incoming to try to cut down the spam and junk mail. If you are trying to send me mail using one of these then you will need to try an ISP based email address. If not one of these then i have no answer at present.

Why not contact Bill via the PM system - at least you know he'll get your query then.

MadPict

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    Why not contact Bill via the PM system - at least you know he'll get your query then.
    Because the competition page states:

Caithness.org FREE Competition
    Win a copy of The Landscape of Scotland
    Just email the answers to three questions to bill@caithness.org with your full postal address.

hi Bill

what bouncing program are you using ??

Mr P Cannop,
    He probably has his email program set to filter (bounce) anything with a @yahoo or @hotmail domain name.

Spam has definately become worse over the last few months - I have had to set my account to block everything except mail from the likes of Caithness.org and some other sites. The spammers have even managed to crack one of my more obscure email addresses - evidence they are using name generators in the same way the telesales pests use number generators.

JJC,
    Fair enough - haven't looked at the competition so didn't know what the rules were. Bad luck to all those with Yahoo or Hotmail accounts!!! Or should that be a Boohoo account...

MadPict

Anonymous Guest

We all are using mailwasher (links I've posted many times) to filter out our mail.

Unfortunately, yes, there will be some of you who find it difficult to send us mail, the PM system is a good alternative, but so is getting a proper ISP e-mail address.

I've not counted my dad's or colin's e-mail, but personally I receive around 200-300 e-mails per day and only around 15-20 are not spam. Mailwasher is slowly reducing the amount of mail I actually have to deal with (collect or bounce) but by effectively banning the likes of yahoo, aol, hotmail etc, we've drastically reduced our spam intake. We are adding new domains to our ban list 3 or 4 times a day and I am looking into further filters to cut this even more.

I'm sorry to anyone who may find this an inconvience, but we only have so much time to deal with e-mail and this is the most effective method we have found so far to cut out the spam.

Niall,
    Have you actually included AOL email addresses into your Spam Bin?
    AOL purport to being one of the "leaders" in the anti-spam initiative, their latest software AOL 8 having a Report Spam button in the mail program. If you report spam to them they may do something about it as opposed to the likes of Hotmail and Yahoo.

I may give that mail washer a go on my ISP based email - I'm sick fed up of Nigerians claiming to be able to make me very rich!! (Mind you, if you're still getting 200-300 a day they must be finding a way around it!)

MadPict

Default email addy

This is getting so very confusing.
    My mail is not aol, hotmail or yahoo.
    However, I have had difficulty sending to an aol addy before - they seem to bounce just about everything.
    Thanks for the suggestion to send a private email - that did the trick !
    Much obliged.
    Isabella

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    Niall,
    Have you actually included AOL email addresses into your Spam Bin?
    AOL purport to being one of the "leaders" in the anti-spam initiative, their latest software AOL 8 having a Report Spam button in the mail program. If you report spam to them they may do something about it as opposed to the likes of Hotmail and Yahoo.
    Madpict,

Appearances can be deceiving, AOL claim to be "leaders" but they don't act like a responsible ISP. This causes people like us no end of trouble when we try and report people that are abusing our systems. Here is a quote from the main phpBB website.

AOL user ... banned?

Unfortunately an AOL user (almost certainly the same one whose account on Roadrunner we had suspended) is continuing to spam our boards requesting obscene material.

AOL have now been contacted four seperate times. They have not acted in over a week. This is unacceptable for an "ISP" such as they claim to be. Therefore we have no choice but to put in place IP bans as and when necessary.

Should the spamming continue we will be forced to ban all AOL IP's. Of course we may also be forced to contact the relevant police authorities given the nature of the postings.

We appologise to the majority of AOL regulars here who behave correctly. All I can suggest is that you also contact AOL and ask they take action to address this issue.
    Maybe all the reports like these give us little faith in any AOL system.

Cheers
    Colin

jjc Guest

He he he - AOL... "leaders" in anti-spam... Ho ho ho... ha ha ha... chortle!!!

Is there anybody out there who has never received a free (unsolicited) AOL CD in the post? Anybody?

Obviously they don't mind sending junk mail, just receiving it!!!

www.nomoreaolcds.com

Hi Niall

how do i set up mailwasher to run on yahoo mail ??

Anonymous Guest

Sorry Paul, but as far as I know mailwasher only works with ISP based e-mail accounts and not with any web based ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast