Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Goldfinch - defo !

Smile Goldfinch - defo !

Thought I had caught glimpses of a Goldfinch last year, but having checked the RSPB site, saw they don't summer /winter here. HOWEVER, today I had a pair in my climbing rose bush at the front door less than a foot away from me ! OMGosh how beautiful are these birdies? I'm so pleased to see them, my goodness, - goldfinches and a redwing in a couples of days - Woo Hoo Any other Orgers seen them around Caithness??
    PEACE LOVE LIGHT & HARMONY

aye, my sister has a couple o the wee beauties in about her garden...beautiful eh? (in Thurso)
    Last edited by jings00; 26-Apr-09 at 13:57. Reason: add location
    it's a sair fecht

3. Default

They are quite common around the Thurso boating pond area and also at Burnside is where i see them most.Their numbers seemed to have increased over the last few years.

Yup, seen quite a few Goldfinches.

yes, I have them here too (just off Ormlie Road) they come over from the riverside and feed on my nyger feeders - last year I had about 8 at one time lining up on my fence waiting to get on the little feeder I have

I've just got an order delivered of seed and feeders and I'm hoping to get a few more finches as I saw 2 chaffinchs in the garden the other day. I've also had greenfinches and a lot of siskins too

Default Goldfinch-defo

Quote Originally Posted by anneoctober View Post
    Thought I had caught glimpses of a Goldfinch last year, but having checked the RSPB site, saw they don't summer /winter here. HOWEVER, today I had a pair in my climbing rose bush at the front door less than a foot away from me ! OMGosh how beautiful are these birdies? I'm so pleased to see them, my goodness, - goldfinches and a redwing in a couples of days - Woo Hoo Any other Orgers seen them around Caithness??
    I think the RSPB has got it wrong, the goldfinches have been coming to my garden all year round, i was delighted when we had the last fall of snow i managed to get a photo of the goldfinch walking over the lawn in the snow. What i have noticed is an abundance of wheatears this year.

Default Goldfinch-defo

Not a great photo, but such beautiful birds.

Have about 20 goldfinches just now, three of four times a day. Also about a dozen siskins - niger seed topped up every day to keep them coming back

Did you see my thread from yesterday? 'My Favourite bird'...yep, the goldfinch!
    Caring people, caring for your animals......highlandpetcare.co.uk

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Not a great photo, but such beautiful birds.

I just love them, we've got green finches too and blue tits and robins, I want to cuddle them all I guess we'd better contact the RSPB and let them know their map is wrong!!
    PEACE LOVE LIGHT & HARMONY