Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: swine flu

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    i leave here on the 6th... but theres no cases of it where im going... not yet anyway. swine flu is also known as the spanish influenza and if you remember your history think about how many people that killed.
    it actually took more lives than the war itself.
    on a dif, note.
    the only fatalitys have been in mexico... bar that everywhere else it is mild cases with just normal flu like symptoms.
    last night the toll was about 180 deaths (not confirmed flu but supected) and over 2000 in hospital in mexico.
    as has been stated the question is why is it so much worse in mexico.. and is it going to leap to that degree anywhere else?
    It's a shame for you brandy that this flu scare has come at such an important time for you and your ill Mother. To have to leave your husband and children and travel across the world is an emotional time for anyone without the added worry of a flu scare such as this. It's in the early stages and a couple of hundred fatalities out of a population of 30 million in Mexico city from the "supposed" virus is maybe not as worrying as it is hyped up to be. As you say there are no reported cases where you are going and I'm sure if all precautions are taken then everything will be OK for you. This will be your special time with your Mum so don't worry about what might happen with the flu virus make the most of your time with her, and come back safely.

I heard that due to the swine flu epidemic, United Nations have declared a world wide global shut down on all Piggerys.

In Scotland , Celtc football club have appealed to the SFA to play their last 2 home games at Hampden Park

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    I heard that due to the swine flu epidemic, United Nations have declared a world wide global shut down on all Piggerys.

In Scotland , Celtc football club have appealed to the SFA to play their last 2 home games at Hampden Park
    Could be a red card coming for that one.

OK, we have the potential for a serious epedemic here.

Note the word potential.

Those who have tested positive outside Mexico have all had mild symptoms and have been rightfully quarantined as a precation. Unfortunately, some sections of the British tabloid media have indulged in their usual hysteria tactics to flog more papers. Every single report I have heard so far from people speaking (ie not being manipulated and misquoted in the papers) has said that there is potential for a pandemic.

So let's get this into perspective. At the moment you are more likely to get killed on the way to the airport in a crash than you are to die from Swine Flu.

However, this situation may change. But until then there is nothing we, as individuals, can do.

Brandy, I can imagine your worries over this, especially with an ill mother. But you'd have to be bloody unlucky travelling to North Carolina to contract the disease and pass it on to your mum at the moment.

But I certainly wouldn't want to have to make that decision.....

Just back of a night shift, I was speaking to a dispatcher from an American alirline and they are not pushing the panic button just yet. Brandy I guess that if you are flying to North Carolina you will be going via Boston or New York and then to Asheville or Charlotte ?? If you can route through Miami and avoid the affected area altogether so much the better.

There are no reported cases in North Carolina and no travel restrictions. When you look at the population and the amount of reported cases in the states it will be more dangerous getting to the airport like Northerner says. The media have done their usual act of playing on people's fears and making the problem appear much bigger than it is. Obviously it is a direct worry to you but if it was me .. I would go.

im flying from glasgow to newark to charlote, so will be going thru new york.. or well NJ at any rate.
    http://itqueries.com/

Exclamation Travel Advisory

Can I suggest that if you are travelling in 2009 you keep this link http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...ce-by-country/ bookmarked or favorite on your browser?

Brandy, they seem to be on top of things here so I would just come over and enjoy the time with your mother. I would certainly keep my distance from someone who is coughing and sneezing but there are just a few cases in a few states and they are quite mild. Switching airports is not something I would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post

A global shut-down on the Pig Ignorant would be preferable in my opinion

Maybe even a "world wide global" shut-down if it gets REALLY bad!!

We are in such a nanny state at the moment,i think we tend to panic for simple things these days,i dont think it's flu'no doubt we will find it is something more sinister

Quote Originally Posted by DanaFlett View Post
    We are in such a nanny state at the moment,i think we tend to panic for simple things these days,i dont think it's flu'no doubt we will find it is something more sinister
    Really, and what makes you think this ?

Default Swine flu

OMG ,I have got it.

I just got out of the shower and I am covered in rashers!!!!!

I will phone the GP in the morning and see if they have some oinkment for it.

Sorry
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    OMG ,I have got it.

I just got out of the shower and I am covered in rashers!!!!!

I will phone the GP in the morning and see if they have some oinkment for it.

Sorry
    Kevin no often I disagree with you but a wee bit tongue in cheek

It is disrupting Peoples Lives A couple who are very near to me have saved and planned for there wedding in Cancun for 2 yrs Canx today so sorry for them and the family

Friends from Wales due to fly on 6th May have been advised to change there holiday destination from Mexico to travel Agents options Dom Rep , Egypt or Cuba

God knows what this outbreak is going to do to the ordinary people of Mexico as they depend on Tourism we had a holiday in Dec in Cancun but forget the Views Sea Sand Sunshine etc go away from the Strip in Cancun and you see real poverty but the people are fabulous and lovely and ever so hard working
    Its nice to be nice

read this article this morning... and it does put it all in perspective. while everyone is going on about swine flu... normal flue is taking a much larger toll...
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/0...flu/index.html
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DOCTOR View Post
    Really, and what makes you think this ?
    DOCTOR, once you've been here a bit longer you'll learn that Orgers know everything about things that highly-trained and experienced professionals will never know because they're not open-minded or have been brainwashed by the nanny state to be politically correct. You should start reading The Sun or The Mail and get a proper education.

A friend in Edinburgh has been told he and his new wife and one of their friends has to stay indoors for 5 day whilst being given vacines and tests are run. They were on the same flight as the other scottish couple that are in hospital.

Breaking News - It has Just been Reported that a Child has died in Texas USA and the cause was "Swine Flu" This is the first death outside of Mexico. Details here :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8024611.stm

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

The authorities in Mexico say they think they have pinpointed where the swine flu virus began. Here is the Link to the Video :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8024464.stm

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Default scary thought

Mr Brown said the UK is taking "the preparations that are necessary and the precautions to prevent the incidence of this disease in this country".
    Measures include enhanced airport checks, expanding anti-viral stocks from 35 million to 50 million, ordering extra face masks and printing an information leaflet for every home.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.ROY'S DEATH BLADE RUNNER 1982

AHHH but did you see the Lunch Time News where Passengers off a Flight from Mexico were interviewd and they said that there was NO CHECKS AT ALL when they landed or when they came through Customs. They just walked out.

So it looks like there is no Checks at the Airports at the present time.

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast