Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: swine flu

Twenty-five possible swine flu cases have been reported in the UK, of which 17 are still being investigated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8020222.stm

Seems like the start to a SciFi Book or Film but far more scary as it is for real.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Mat have to reread the stand by Stephen King
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Breaking News on BBC; swine flu confirmed in Airdrie, not much other detail as of yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Twenty-five possible swine flu cases have been reported in the UK, of which 17 are still being investigated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8020222.stm

Seems like the start to a SciFi Book or Film but far more scary as it is for real.
    I bet most of those are Hypochondriacs that have eaten a Tortilla in the last month.

Keep Calm and Carry On ..

Should I start screaming now or will the Government supply a leaflet on how to panic?

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Should I start screaming now or will the Government supply a leaflet on how to panic?
    Do what I am going to .. create your own.

Simply go on the train and pretend to talk to a friend on your mobile. Laugh loudly about your four week holiday in Mexico. Then when everyone is looking just sneeze.

If nothing else it will make sure you get a double seat !!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt View Post
    Do what I am going to .. create your own.

Simply go on the train and pretend to talk to a friend on your mobile. Laugh loudly about your four week holiday in Mexico. Then when everyone is looking just sneeze.

If nothing else it will make sure you get a double seat !!

I've started sneezing anyway.

And I have a sudden urge to wallow in some mud and eat the contents of our brown wheelie bin.
    But Mrs N says it's nothing to worry about...I always get like that after a few large Old Pulteneys.

Heeeere piggypiggy.....

perhaps you should spare a thought for the families whos relatives have died and those currently in hospital with a virus that very little is known about.
    "One more round Micky"

Quote Originally Posted by dandod View Post
    perhaps you should spare a thought for the families whos relatives have died and those currently in hospital with a virus that very little is known about.
    Thanks for the suggestion Dandod. But no thanks.

truthfully i am a bit concerned, but its more to do with my particular circumtances.
    im more worried about picking up something and taking it to my mum.
    will def. be doing the cover my mouth and nose to cough and sneeze. taking tissues with me.. and making sure i wash my hands often and when needed!
    have again checked out the cdc travel advice, and no warnings not to travel yet.
    will see how things go over the next few days, and pray for the best.
    hubby is worried that if i got to america.. and there was a major outbreak. that they might close the borders and i wont get home.
    then we would have a problem!
    not so much on my side but as hes taking time off work to watch the kids.. well... life could be troublesome then!
    have thought about asking the Gp about anti viral meds. just because im going to be seeing my mom and want to try and be as resistant as i can be!
    with my moms condition she cant handle any kind of respitory infection.. so this is really scary stuff as far as she is concerned!
    ahh well... will just wait and see how things play out.
    http://itqueries.com/

Default Difficult choice

Really tricky choice, Brandy, about going to visit your sick mom and having to leave your young family here under these circumstances... I wouldn't want to have to make that choice. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works out well for you.

The guys are probably right, there's nothing to worry about, really, but it's easy to see that people's everyday lives are already being severely disrupted in the places where this virus has hit. No wonder your OH's worried!

When are you planning your trip?

Anyone coming into Caithness carying the flu virus should be shot on site and then burnt.

Quote Originally Posted by wickscorrie View Post
    sure i read in the paper that they were advising you not to fly to affected areas.
    Surely it would be better to advise people not to fly back from affected areas?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Anyone coming into Caithness carying the flu virus should be shot on site and then burnt.
    Can you imagine that checkpoint ??

"Got Swine Flu have we Sir ??" .. In the background the sounds of weapons being cocked and the soft whump sound of a Flamethrower being lit can be heard .. "Well not me but the wife and her mother here are fully infected with it" .. "Not a problem, stand aside Sir" .. Man Grins.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has now raised its alert over Swine Flu from Three to Four - This is Just Two Steps short of a Full Pandemic.

WHO Assistant Director General Dr Keiji Fukuda said it signalled a "significant step towards pandemic influenza", but added "we are not there yet".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021827.stm

K.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

am trying not to worry about it just now ,but if it it young fit poeple in their 20s and 30s drying i will ok lol but serousily i would not worry just yet we had all this over bird flu and that never happened did it and it killed to x

Seems like the two Scottish holidaymakers have tested positive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dly-virus.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt View Post
    Can you imagine that checkpoint ??

"Got Swine Flu have we Sir ??" .. In the background the sounds of weapons being cocked and the soft whump sound of a Flamethrower being lit can be heard .. "Well not me but the wife and her mother here are fully infected with it" .. "Not a problem, stand aside Sir" .. Man Grins.
    Sounds like a great comedy sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Its bird flu all over again!!!!! Lets send the masses screaming to their doctors and worry them senseless over something that might never happen.

OMG its in europe

OMG its in britain

OMG a cabin crew have been found positive

OMG they got it wrong.

Whenit is clearly and unambiguously a problem knocking at the uk door then we should worry about it. If it isnt then we should do what we as a country can do to help those suffering and just get on with our lives and take the newspaper reports with a pinchof salt.
    The bird flu a couple of years ago was very worrying to public health officials because it was such a different strain from other recent viruses, so that if it had spread it would have been very dangerous, in terms of people not having resistance. However it didn't mutate into a form that spread very well in humans.

This swine flu is different. It already *has* spread, all over the place, from human to human, so it obviously has what's needed to make it a pandemic. The multi-million dollar question is how serious it is when you get it. It has killed a lot of people in Mexico, at a rate higher than other places it has been found. The issue is why. If the people infected are poor, or malnourished or already suffering from another strain of flu, they could be more susceptible to this strain. Mexico has according to some news reports had a late-season surge in cases of a number of other flu viruses, so it might be killing the people who are run down from having one of those.

As I see it, it's not time to panic, but it is time for a few simple precautions.

i leave here on the 6th... but theres no cases of it where im going... not yet anyway. swine flu is also known as the spanish influenza and if you remember your history think about how many people that killed.
    it actually took more lives than the war itself.
    on a dif, note.
    the only fatalitys have been in mexico... bar that everywhere else it is mild cases with just normal flu like symptoms.
    last night the toll was about 180 deaths (not confirmed flu but supected) and over 2000 in hospital in mexico.
    as has been stated the question is why is it so much worse in mexico.. and is it going to leap to that degree anywhere else?
    http://itqueries.com/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast