Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: AVG or Avast?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avg

6 31.58%
  • Avast

7 36.84%
  • Other

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinion needed!!

Exclamation opinion needed!!

Just wandering if anyone uses McAfee internet security software or whats your opinion on it????

Thanks in advance

Heya

I use it. I get it free with my BT contact. I find it quite good. I have had no viruses or anything since getting it. When searching google it comes up with safe sites only.

There are new updates daily but you can just run them in the backround!

I would recommend it!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Default McAfee

Everyday is that not a bit much??

Are you just saying its good because its free lol

Avast is the best anti virus software, and it's free.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Kaspersky....does a fine job
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by smith2585 View Post
    Everyday is that not a bit much??

Are you just saying its good because its free lol
    Everyday is a bitty much yes! But they dont have to be installed instantly. I like to keep my computer safe tho!
    Last edited by ShelleyCowie; 23-Apr-09 at 22:07.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Everyday is a bitty much yes! But they dont have to be installed instantly. I like to keep my computer safe tho!
    Exactly shelley! A safe computer means a happy owner.

Smith2585 I've found that having two anti viruis on your pc or laptp works best as anything that the first one misses the second one will catch therefore making your pc/laptop safer and protected.

I have avg free edition and avast as my anti virus as they work really well together. I also have zone alarm as my fire wall as its excellent. And of course its all free downlaoded of the net.
    I also have light script on my laptop and it has saved me from losing everyting from a nasty virus made up of a worm and two trojan horses. My partner as i'm sure i've told you already smith 2585 had one of them on his pc and it destroyed everything. He lost everything as they went straight to his external hard drives and eat everything.
    Last edited by Vistravi; 23-Apr-09 at 23:16. Reason: Mistaken identity lol
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Vistravi - running two anti-virus packages simultaneously will slow down the PC as they both check files as they are accessed - I'd recommend sticking with one or the other.

Other packages worth having on your system are Malwarebytes and Spybot - Search & Destroy, both of which do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Vistravi - running two anti-virus packages simultaneously will slow down the PC as they both check files as they are accessed - I'd recommend sticking with one or the other.

Other packages worth having on your system are Malwarebytes and Spybot - Search & Destroy, both of which do a great job.
    You're right bob as always. But i don't feel safe with jus one as avg isn't good enough on it own and avast has not picked up things that avg has before.
    So aye it makes my laptop run slower than it should due to my anti viruis but it makes me feel better knowing that my laptop is well covered.
    thanks for your advice though
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

I get Sophos free from work, as our campus was terribly affected years ago by the "I love you" email worm. The guy who tried to make himself popular by circulating a campus-wide Outlook directory didn't help. Every Outlook user in the place had just about every email address on the campus available for the thing to send itself.

Our free product used to be Macafee, but they did trials and found Sophos was better. It catches spyware as well as viruses.

If your product does daily updates (Sophos checks every time I reboot for any new nasties on the list) let it do that. Some viruses are literally all over the net in a day or two after release.

You should not run 2 anti virus software at the same time, you can cause your system all sorts of problems e.g. one anti virus detecting anothers quarentine for example.
    Not only that you also have the memory hit from having both of them running, which will slow down your machine.

Personally I recommend Avast Home Edition as it is free,
    However McAfee is good software, but why pay for software when there are perfectly good free alternatives.

Anti Virus : Avast
    Firewall: Zonealarm
    Malware: MalwareBytes
    Spyware/Adaware: Spybot Search and Destroy
    Registery Cleaner: CCleaner

Ooops sorry bob you managed to get your post in before me...

Sorry about accidental adding the poll. I'm sure i put it in a new thread and have no idea how it got on your thread smith 2585.
    PLease can everyone ignore this poll i've accidnetally put on here. I don't know how to delete the poll.

After reading some good reviews I started using C-O-M-O-D-O. I have had no problems after using it for 6 months and I find it much better than AVG for virus and as good as Zone Alarm for firewall.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    After reading some good reviews I started using C-O-M-O-D-O. I have had no problems after using it for 6 months and I find it much better than AVG for virus and as good as Zone Alarm for firewall.
    Have they fixed the issue they had with Comodo AV where USB devices went unrecognised?

I tried it and liked it, but the USB issue annoyed me somewhat so I got rid, went with Avast instead, and it's certainly better than both AVG and Comodo. You can set Avast to scan while your screensaver is active too, which is a nice touch, and it also automatically updates its virus definitions regularly.

Comodo firewall is excellent if you know what you're doing - far better than ZoneAlarm.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Avast for me too been using it for years now and never had any problems.

I also have Spybot Search and Destroy and also Malawarebytes Anti-malware.

Talking

I use McAfee Security System on both my desktop and laptop and have never had any probs, yes I know it's a bitty expensive but well worth the money and the peace of mind........

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    I tried it and liked it, but the USB issue annoyed me somewhat so I got rid, went with Avast instead, and it's certainly better than both AVG and Comodo. You can set Avast to scan while your screensaver is active too, which is a nice touch, and it also automatically updates its virus definitions regularly
    AVG runs scans in the background and automatically updates itself regularly. How can you say it doesn't do this when it does all what you said it doesn't do?

Where did I say it didn't?

I will say this - Avast is better than AVG. In my opinion. AVG is almost bloatware these days.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    AVG runs scans in the background and automatically updates itself regularly. How can you say it doesn't do this when it does all what you said it doesn't do?
    AVG..(Average Virus Grinder) doesn't pick up half the nasties that Avast does

Aye youre right Gismo, But i think AVG is much more user friendly than avast, its why i'm finding it hard to choose between them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast