Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to figure this one out ??

Default I'm trying to figure this one out ??

I am trying to get my head around this thought and have been all day.

Am I right in thinking that until my children are well in their twenties I am responsible, if I can afford it, to pay for their further education ie University including accomodation fees food etc etc.

If on the other hand my girls get pregnant and need help I can refuse to support them and the goverment will step in. I dont have to support them at all after sixteen.

Stupid thought but its been rattling in my head this afternoon.

Got it it one......

Try to make a go of your life and you'll get very little.

Start pumping out brats from an early age and you will be supplied with a house and money FOC.

Strange you should bring that up Alice. My niece and her partner both work full time, they have a 1 yr old son and live with my sister. My niece has asked the local council, Basingstoke & Deane, about getting a house and they've been refused because with two wages they are expected to rent privately, even though both earn the National Minimum Wage and can't afford too. However, if one of them were to give up work then the council would be able to move them higher up the waiting list, if both gave up work they would get a house as soon as one became available!! The world has truly gone mad.

It is indeed madness.
    Last edited by starry; 23-Apr-09 at 20:50.

Default figure this one out

what is the answer innocent childred cant be made to suffer

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Strange you should bring that up Alice. My niece and her partner both work full time, they have a 1 yr old son and live with my sister. My niece has asked the local council, Basingstoke & Deane, about getting a house and they've been refused because with two wages they are expected to rent privately, even though both earn the National Minimum Wage and can't afford too. However, if one of them were to give up work then the council would be able to move them higher up the waiting list, if both gave up work they would get a house as soon as one became available!! The world has truly gone mad.
    don't it just push yr buttons...the whole system just winds me up...when i was younger it was a case of go to school get an education and do something with your life...they never said it was so i could bust a gut to provide for my family ....oh and all those who cant be harrissed to get up an do it for themselves
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lingland View Post
    what is the answer innocent childred cant be made to suffer
    How would they suffer ?

There But For The Grace Of God.........
    Not every child has the best start in life. If it was me I would be thankful they had the sort of upbringing that encourages them to go to Uni and not get pregnant. As a parent investing in your childs future should be paramount and it's not always in money.

seems the answer is have as many kids as poss...dont do any work...get loads of dosh...
    have i got that right???
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    There But For The Grace Of God.........
    Not every child has the best start in life. If it was me I would be thankful they had the sort of upbringing that encourages them to go to Uni and not get pregnant. As a parent investing in your childs future should be paramount and it's not always in money.
    Oh dont get me wrong my children have not got a silver spoon in there mouth and I in the past have been on benefits.

If I was not as fortunate to be able to afford them Uni then there is a system in place.......loans which they have to pay back once in a good job.

I am truly finding it harder to get my head round how this system encourages the less fortunate without making those who are slightly better off resentfull of trying to do well in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    Oh dont get me wrong my children have not got a silver spoon in there mouth and I in the past have been on benefits.

If I was not as fortunate to be able to afford them Uni then there is a system in place.......loans which they have to pay back once in a good job.

I am truly finding it harder to get my head round how this system encourages the less fortunate without making those who are slightly better off resentfull of trying to do well in their life.
    It's simple the system doesn't. Our model in Scotland is to put people down or say they are getting ideas above their station this is not a model of encouragement. Personally I think young people are being constantly praised for doing nothing much.

I have just worked it out should all three of my oldest kids go to Uni within the nest two years which is a definate possibility. I am looking at paying £1500 a month.

This is to cover mostly everything.

I dont mind truly if they want to go they will go but the system to me more and more seems to have got it all wrong.

It is all means tested according to the parents income if you want to go further in Education when they are under a certain age and this doesnt apply when it comes down to claiming benefits when you are under the same age . Honest Im not complaining yet just wondering about it all.

It's just the same for children in care. They want to go too but nobody backs them or they have to take loans that makes it impossible. It's swings and roundabouts but I know which I'd prefer.

It's just the same for children in care. They want to go too but nobody backs them or they have to take loans that makes it impossible. It's swings and roundabouts but I know which I'd prefer.
    This is where its all wrong these children should be recieving as much help as possible to give them a chance. I dont agree with them having to apply for loans in this instance.

The more you look at the system the more you see the failings in it.

Lets look at it the other way round just for a moment.

Imagine.......

Until my children are well in their twenties the state will pay for all their further education ie University including accomodation fees food etc etc.

If on the other hand my girls get pregnant and need help the state will refuse to support them and I will have to do it even if i cant afford to. There is no help at all for an unmarried mother with a child other than that which her family provides. If I dont help she is just left to cope alone.

Hmmmm

I dont know what the answer is but i dont think thats the right one. There has to be some sort of balance on the grounds of need. Higher education should be free and the grant system should be brought back on a means tested basis. No one should leave college with a huge debt around their necks. We have to help teenage mums but we need to address why ( or indeed if because im not sure there has ever been proper research into the issue rather than just tabloid tosh pot) some teenage girls seem to beleive that their lives will be BETTER with a baby and on benefits. Why would a teenage girl think living in a flat with a baby on Income support is preferable to their home with their parents and having fun. Until thats resolved we wont reduce teenage pregnancies.

my 18 year old sister got a full time job got a council house as she was living with me at the time and because she was so young was assigned a helper (just someone to help with forms and shopping) and when the woman turned up she asked if my sister was needing to sign on.

when she said she had a job the woman was shocked and told my sister she would be better off on the brew because she could get loans and grants and what not to help her build up a home because she had a minimum wage job 40 hrs she could pay it herself she moved in with not a thing to her name

imagine that being told she would be better off signing on at 18 !!!
    "You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humansuseful domestic animals."- George Mikes

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    How do they get on with ther respective employers. Couldnt they explain the situation to them so they could get "finished". Then when they get a council house re start them. Just a thought.

If they are being Looked After By Local Authority at the age of 16 then they are entitled to support, including rent, bus fares, living allowance until they leave full time education.
    Highland Council buys this in from Barnardos Springboard.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/springboard.htm

Children in care are still much more unlikely to go on and study further but it is a start.

The whole benefit system is a mess, I think it needs a complete overhaul, so it goes back to being a support system and not a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post

The whole benefit system is a mess, I think it needs a complete overhaul, so it goes back to being a support system and not a way of life.
    Its not just the benefits system its the whole system.

The messages sent out by government are all wrong. One section of the population are growing up thinking I dont need to get a job Im better of unemployed get iven a council house rent paid council tax paid and live on minmal money. Not the best way to live but a life.

Another section are thinking what on earth am I doing wrong ?

Get a good education head to Uni possibly coming out with around thirty thousand pounds of debt if mum and dad cant pay.
    Get a decent job, pay off your debt, earn a decent wage pay 40 % tax.

Save and watch your savings wipe out if the government get it wrong.

With your nice earnings build a decent house and get hit with higher council tax and the possibility that someone out there thinks nice place to rob.

Buy a decent car and watch some yob on the street with a grudge scratch it or knock off a wing mirror.

Truly get on and earn around 150,000 and the government are saying thankyou very much we've screwed up so now you can hand over half so that it can be sorted.

As you can see Alice is sliding into negative mode...............

The whole system is flawed,you can continue to get child benefit until the child is 20 IF they dont go on to advanced education in otherwords if they go to college and study anything under a HNC they can get the benefit but if they are "clever" the benefit stops!Surely it would be more like sense to let those who have a chance to better there education to have the extra money?x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast