Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to figure this one out ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I'm trying to figure this one out ??

I am trying to get my head around this thought and have been all day.

Am I right in thinking that until my children are well in their twenties I am responsible, if I can afford it, to pay for their further education ie University including accomodation fees food etc etc.

If on the other hand my girls get pregnant and need help I can refuse to support them and the goverment will step in. I dont have to support them at all after sixteen.

Stupid thought but its been rattling in my head this afternoon.

Got it it one......

Try to make a go of your life and you'll get very little.

Start pumping out brats from an early age and you will be supplied with a house and money FOC.

Strange you should bring that up Alice. My niece and her partner both work full time, they have a 1 yr old son and live with my sister. My niece has asked the local council, Basingstoke & Deane, about getting a house and they've been refused because with two wages they are expected to rent privately, even though both earn the National Minimum Wage and can't afford too. However, if one of them were to give up work then the council would be able to move them higher up the waiting list, if both gave up work they would get a house as soon as one became available!! The world has truly gone mad.

It is indeed madness.
    Last edited by starry; 23-Apr-09 at 20:50.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Strange you should bring that up Alice. My niece and her partner both work full time, they have a 1 yr old son and live with my sister. My niece has asked the local council, Basingstoke & Deane, about getting a house and they've been refused because with two wages they are expected to rent privately, even though both earn the National Minimum Wage and can't afford too. However, if one of them were to give up work then the council would be able to move them higher up the waiting list, if both gave up work they would get a house as soon as one became available!! The world has truly gone mad.
    don't it just push yr buttons...the whole system just winds me up...when i was younger it was a case of go to school get an education and do something with your life...they never said it was so i could bust a gut to provide for my family ....oh and all those who cant be harrissed to get up an do it for themselves
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    How do they get on with ther respective employers. Couldnt they explain the situation to them so they could get "finished". Then when they get a council house re start them. Just a thought.

Default figure this one out

what is the answer innocent childred cant be made to suffer

Quote Originally Posted by Lingland View Post
    what is the answer innocent childred cant be made to suffer
    How would they suffer ?

There But For The Grace Of God.........
    Not every child has the best start in life. If it was me I would be thankful they had the sort of upbringing that encourages them to go to Uni and not get pregnant. As a parent investing in your childs future should be paramount and it's not always in money.

seems the answer is have as many kids as poss...dont do any work...get loads of dosh...
    have i got that right???
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    There But For The Grace Of God.........
    Not every child has the best start in life. If it was me I would be thankful they had the sort of upbringing that encourages them to go to Uni and not get pregnant. As a parent investing in your childs future should be paramount and it's not always in money.
    Oh dont get me wrong my children have not got a silver spoon in there mouth and I in the past have been on benefits.

If I was not as fortunate to be able to afford them Uni then there is a system in place.......loans which they have to pay back once in a good job.

I am truly finding it harder to get my head round how this system encourages the less fortunate without making those who are slightly better off resentfull of trying to do well in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    Oh dont get me wrong my children have not got a silver spoon in there mouth and I in the past have been on benefits.

If I was not as fortunate to be able to afford them Uni then there is a system in place.......loans which they have to pay back once in a good job.

I am truly finding it harder to get my head round how this system encourages the less fortunate without making those who are slightly better off resentfull of trying to do well in their life.
    It's simple the system doesn't. Our model in Scotland is to put people down or say they are getting ideas above their station this is not a model of encouragement. Personally I think young people are being constantly praised for doing nothing much.

Default figure it out

children dont ask to be born to wothless , useless alchoholic drugie etdc parents the point is someone has to be resopsible for them It is ok if you are in an ivory tower

Nice to see that some people think because I worked my backside off to get where I am that somehow makes me responsible for others. Here's a thought, get off your backside and make the effort yourself. I make a good living and so does my wife. We are well off because we worked hard to get where we are, it had nothing to do with "luck" and a lot to do with sacrifice, dedication and going without. There were a lot of lean times with young children and we struggled until we both got established.

Took me two years to get qualified and my wife a lot longer than that. I have twin daughters and we will put them through University ourselves. They want to go to Cardiff University so they can stay at home and that will save a good bit. We will do our best to see that they graduate with no debt but we will get no help for our kids while paying a LOT more tax than others who will.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt View Post
    Nice to see that some people think because I worked my backside off to get where I am that somehow makes me responsible for others.
    We are all responsible for others Gene. I dont think that just cos a person earns more they should be hammered but i do think that if we are high earners then we should be taxed a wee bit more to help pay for those less fortunate than ourselves. Not everyone is lazing around on their backside making no effort Some people are working incredibly hard and arenever going to reach the dizzy heights of £20 000 per year never mind anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    So really it doesn't matter if your rich or poor. If you want it bad enough you can.
    Ah but apparently it does - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7473469.stm
    Last edited by squidge; 25-Apr-09 at 00:10.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    all that report says is that ppl from poorer backgrounds are misrepresented in uni's - not that they are being prevented from going to uni.

and it focuses on the english system which is less accessible than the scottish one. they have to pay things like tuition & topup fees which we dont.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    We are all responsible for others Gene. I dont think that just cos a person earns more they should be hammered but i do think that if we are high earners then we should be taxed a wee bit more to help pay for those less fortunate than ourselves. Not everyone is lazing around on their backside making no effort Some people are working incredibly hard and arenever going to reach the dizzy heights of £20 000 per year never mind anything more
    Seems to be a one way street in my view. Mainly consisting of those who don't earn what I do telling me I have a "responsibility" to them because I am somehow "luckier". To quote Northerner .. Get Stuffed.

Both myself and my wife are already in the 40% Tax bracket. I pay in a LOT more than I get back. I am no doubt already helping people through my taxes. Yet my two girls will get no assistance because me and the wife worked our backsides off and are on good money. Its a different system here in Wales than in Scotland with Tuition fees and the like, we will get zero help for our daughters.

I am not "Lucky" I worked hard and got the job I wanted at the cost of not a few sacrifices. Nice to see that all that means is that I get no help while those who haven't paid in as much as me just complain about what I have left.

Default figure it out

Thank goodness there are some who dont all think IM all right jack so though. Some are gifted or blessed in life others get a faw deal disabled mentally or physically or just cant make the grade educationally no matter how hard they try or support there parents who for one reason or another are not able to cope but then maybe they should not have been allowed to have children

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    I am trying to get my head around this thought and have been all day.

Am I right in thinking that until my children are well in their twenties I am responsible, if I can afford it, to pay for their further education ie University including accomodation fees food etc etc.
    Don't they get student loans for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Don't they get student loans for that?
    Yes its means tested. I dont mind paying I have no problem. I find it hard to wonder why this is applied to children going into further education but not to other children who when under a certain age can recieve many benefits from the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast