Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Da Vinci Code.

Default Da Vinci Code.

Alot of you will have read the book now and perhaps even 'Holy blood Holy grail'. So what do you think?
    Does any of Dan Browns theories have any basis to them? Do you think it's quite possible that Jesus has a blood line and that Mary Magdalene is in fact the Holy grail?
    Finally, and most importantly, whats your thoughts on 'the sacred feminine'? lol
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Ancient tribes probably treated the female as sacred before they sussed out how babies were made. The sacred female is still a major part of Catholicism.
    Surely the whole jesus story is a bit suspect. I would question the validity of the bible before I questioned the fantasy of Dan Brown.

liked the dan brown books a cracking read. from what they say on the news they are similar but it sounds like dan brown used their research and turned it into a story. is it possible about jesus having a bloodline who knows but history is always written by lifes winners.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

It's a pile of pants. IMHO
    You get what you give

I personally believe that there is every possibility that Jesus fathered a child and that that blood line could be seen years ago as a threat to the church.
    Mary Magdalene was always portrayed as a repentant sinner - prostitute in this case - and although perhaps the church has never verbally made that statement, they've used the intimation that she was, and have never tried to make anyone think otherwise.

The problem I have is the whole portrayal of who Jesus really was. I don't for one minute believe that he actually performed the miracles as they're said in the bible. I do believe though that he was a healer and a prophet and that over the years 'chinese whispers' came into effect up till the making of the bible.
    The gnostic gospels tell a bit of a different story to the bible we read nowdays.

As for Dan Browns theory! Well, lets just say I have less trouble believing it than I thought I would. It makes more sense than perhaps it oughta if it's all just supposition.
    Yes some of it is obviously pure fiction, but in the whole I'm happy to go along with the whole 'sacred feminine' bit.

Incidentally, who remembers the part about the world today beng the sad state of affairs it is due to 'the sacred feminine' no longer being sacred?
    How many women today say in jest that 'if mothers ruled the world, we'd have no wars'?
    I've said it loads of times but I do actually believe it. If mothers had always ruled the world we wouldn't have the horrors we see today.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Exclamation

I think the co authors of "Holy Blood Holy Grail" will have difficulty in suing Dan Brown. Many other books have been written by different authors tracing the history as portrayed in "Holy Blood Holy Grail". Lomas & Knight in several books tracing the origins of Freemasonary, Andrew Sinclair who has written several books on the Templar History and the Kirkwall Scroll are just a few, all touched on this subject, all had carried out many long months of painstaking research.

Since the discovery of the dead sea scrolls in 1947, a new light has been shed on the life of Christ, not the same story as portrayed by St Paul or the Roman Emperor Constantine in the the 3rd century, both of whom were guilty of hijacking the Christ history. The early Roman church attempted to destroy all the gospels which had not been adulterated to fit into the story they were selling, anybody who had any knowledge of the original story was murdered as a heritic.

You can look up on the internet and find what remains of the Gnostic Gospels.

Mary Magdelene (according to more recent research) was a high born aristocratic lady, not the supposed prostitute and sinner as portrayed in the bible, her portrayal was that of the church which wanted to portray her that way so as Jusus could be portrayed as a forgiving celibate holy man in the image of the Roman church. Remember Jusus was a Jew, not a Roman Catholic in which the church demands their priests to be celibate. There is nothing in the Jewish faith which demands celibacy, but Mary Magdelene was too big a part of his life and mentioned too often in the gospels, they did not know how too write her out so it was in there intrest to lower her social standing.

Sir William Sinclair, who built Roslyn Chapel, was threatened to be put on trial because he would not release certain documents he held. The Scottish Queen of the time, "Mary Of Guise" went along to Roslyn to examine the documents, they were subseqently hidden and William Sinclair never went on trial. It may be relevant that William Sinclair was a Knight Templar and was one of the few people who gave them shelter when they were falsley accused and murdered by the then Pope Clemence (forgotten the number) and king Philip of France, one wanted the documents they held, the other their money and lands.

The "Da Vinci Code" is perhaps not as far fetched as many people may think. Many authors and historians are now looking into the life if Christ, the Gnostic Gospels and making serious study of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and they are doing it without the fear of being accused and prosecuted as Heritics by the church.

As they say in the newspaper "watch this space" but in this case it will not be newspapers, but the Historical researchers publishing, and the R. C. Church which will object to and deny everything which is published.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Me thinks the Roman Catholic Church doth protest too much
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Porshiepoo, you say you believe in this, that and the other, but wouldn't it be just common sense to have a firm basis for your beliefs rather than a novel?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

alZir Guest

I've been into grail mythology for some years now. As an amusing diversion at first, but with less scepticism the more I read. Not sure what it's all about, but Dan Brown seems to have cherrypicked from a wide range of sources, and hung together what I must admit is a pretty compulsive read.
    With only a passing nod to even the truths that have been proven.

Porshiepoo....... Check out Rennes le Chateau......

"whispers that somewhere in the country of the Aude lies proof that the story of Jesus Christ is not as it is written in the Bible. Mary Magdalene, who has a cult following throughout France and to whom the church is dedicated at Rennes-le-Château, is thought to play a far more important part in Jesus’ life than the Church admits and proof to this effect is thought be hidden in the area."

http://www.rennes-le-chateau.co.uk/

....... and meet the 'real' Sauniere........ :-))

Thumbs up

Good source alZir, I've had a glance, will look into it more deeply when I have the time.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Wink

Amazes me that so many are happy to jump on to the band wagon of a novel
    that makes a guy who seemed quite amazing[ whether you believe he is the son of god or not]...makes him well something we are more comfortable with.
    Something that makes all the other stuff probably untrue and therefore how comforting is that.... Those religious guys are nutters after all...

The factual basis is very tenuous and even the guy that hosts 'Time team' did an article to show it was flawed. Most religious historians and theologists must laugh at it.
    .... Then why the protests?? Well the book is blasphemous to those that believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.. but fortunately there have been no bloodbaths or bomb threats.

alZir Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    Amazes me that so many are happy to jump on to the band wagon of a novel
    that makes a guy who seemed quite amazing[ whether you believe he is the son of god or not]...makes him well something we are more comfortable with.
    Something that makes all the other stuff probably untrue and therefore how comforting is that.... Those religious guys are nutters after all...

The factual basis is very tenuous and even the guy that hosts 'Time team' did an article to show it was flawed. Most religious historians and theologists must laugh at it.
    .... Then why the protests?? Well the book is blasphemous to those that believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.. but fortunately there have been no bloodbaths or bomb threats.
    I reckon it's more a case of Dan Brown jumping on the bandwagon of an an age old conspiracy theory MH.
    There's loads of connections he didnt include, and the 'grail' is not a defined object.
    You gotta check out the Templars, and their removal (allegedly) of the treasures of Solomon from Jerusalem, and their transportation (allegedly) to Southern France.
    You just HAVE to check out The Merovingians........ ancient and mythical kings of France, and who claimed the Holy bloodline.
    At anyrate..... part of this 'grail' conspiracy may indeed have it's roots in the various secret societies surrounding these rumours, with a purpose of bringing a new order to europe with the restoration of remaining members of the Merovingian bloodline at it's heart.

Now I thought a lot of this was highly fanciful. Until I read of Francois Mitterand's connection not only to the heart of the european union, but also to the Priory of Sion.
    But what clinched my interest , was finding pictures of symbols above the doors in Rennes le Chateau....... The Merovingian symbol of a circle of bees.......then of Mitterand's insistence on his choice of EU symbol.....
    ......no bees, but a circle of stars...replicating, but not obviously the sign of a new order in europe.

I suggest just putting a few of the things I mentioned into Google......and get into it....
    It's MUCH better than any Dan Brown novel......it just doesnt have an end is all.
    Last edited by alZir; 01-Mar-06 at 18:54.

Actually Rheghead, I've had theories similar to those expressed in many books akin to Dan Browns for many a year.
    I haven't based my opinion on the readings of one book as you obviously think, I have merely bought the topic up as the controversy surrounding both the theory and the book has bought it to the attention of many more people. I'm merely asking for other peoples thoughts on the subject.

Mostlyharmless - I have trouble understanding why anyone would consider this type of theory as blasphemous. Jesus christ is still considered to be the son of god when all's said and done, these theories merely make him appear more human and less godlike.
    At the end of the day Dan Browns novels and novels of its kind are merely another opinion, as is the bible. The bible wasn't written by god or by Jesus it was written by man, many years after the events. It has no more validity than any other 'novel' written by man.

The gnostic gospels portray a rather different image of the life of Jesus christ and that of Mary magdalene, among others. I just feel that there are alot of questions that need to be answered that probably can't be answered. However at the end of the day our outcome here on earth will always be the same - we are born, we live, we pass over, we're re-born.

If Jesus was indeed the Son of God.......was his brother James also the Son of God?
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    Dan Browns novels and novels of its kind are merely another opinion, as is the bible. The bible wasn't written by god or by Jesus it was written by man, many years after the events. It has no more validity than any other 'novel' written by man.
    Dan Brown's novels are just novels without any shred of evidence to support them, it is just speculation that cannot be substantiated that forms the basis of his stories. The bible is something different, a lot of archaeological evidence does seem to back up the historical context of the Bible, something that is severely lacking with Dan Brown's stuff.

Pontius Pilate has a non-biblical reference, the exodus from Egypt is supported independently plus other battles etc. No independent evidence is provided for a son of Jesus or a blood line.

To ask 'Why not?' you must have a valid reason to ask in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy
    If Jesus was indeed the Son of God.......was his brother James also the Son of God?
    No James was the son of Joseph. So I suppose half-brother would be a more accurate statement.
    You get what you give

To ask 'Why not?' you must have a valid reason to ask in the first place.
    [/QUOTE]

Says who??????
    If a person asks 'why' or 'why not?', that person obviously feels that they have a reason to ask in the first place, just because others feel it's a touchy question to ask does not mean it shouldn't be asked at all.
    The human mind is naturally inquisitive, if people didn't stand up and ask 'why not' then the human race wouldn't be as advanced as it is today.

There may be alot of archeological evidence to back up the bible as we know it today, but thats just the evidence we have been privvy to and have accepted as right. What about evidence just as old that has been kept from us for whatever reason?

At the end of the day IMO the bible is nothing more or less than the interpretations of man of a time that we can never ever be 100% sure of the events. Even now one persons interpretation of the bible can be different from anothers. If the bible is open to such interpretation and we are not 100% sure, without a shadow of a doubt, of the events that happened all those years ago then I don't see why the question 'why not?' with reference to the likes of the Da vinci code shouldn't be asked.

Says who??????
    Anybody with a shred of commonsense says who!!!

Asking 'Why not?' without good reason will only lead to ridiculous claims which the Sunday Sport and Daily Star are particularly fond of for example.

What about evidence just as old that has been kept from us for whatever reason?
    Is there any specific examples which you want to draw our attention to?

alZir Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Is there any specific examples which you want to draw our attention to?
    The gospel according to Mary praps ??

http://www.gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm

Dead Sea scrolls huh.......... what are they like ??.......

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast