Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Tourist in Caithness

Default The Tourist in Caithness

Question:- Why is Caithness not switched on to tourism?

We have travelled over many parts of Scotland but Caithness seems to be excluded by the majority of tourist publications with the exception of the Castle of Mey. With Dounreay running down and the building trade on it's knee's, isn't it about time that Caithness starting thinking forward for a change?

Like everybody else, we need to start diversifying and Caithness has so much to offer.

Mr and Mrs (Solastar) Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    Question:- Why is Caithness not switched on to tourism?

We have travelled over many parts of Scotland but Caithness seems to be excluded by the majority of tourist publications with the exception of the Castle of Mey. With Dounreay running down and the building trade on it's knee's, isn't it about time that Caithness starting thinking forward for a change?

Like everybody else, we need to start diversifying and Caithness has so much to offer.

Mr and Mrs (Solastar) Loafer
    You drive the bus Son, I'll start swatting up my guide script, we would make a good team
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

tell you what that would not be a bad idea, imagine a bus tour of the things to do and see in the county, say starting at Badbea... then up the coast Dunbeath for Neil Gunn.... Whaligoe steps.... thats only three for starters, what else could be added .....

Quote Originally Posted by elamanya View Post
    tell you what that would not be a bad idea, imagine a bus tour of the things to do and see in the county, say starting at Badbea... then up the coast Dunbeath for Neil Gunn.... Whaligoe steps.... thats only three for starters, what else could be added .....
    Doupy Dan's bench?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Doupy Dan's bench?
    Doupy Dan was a local character and a human being and I resent the tone of your post!

I agree that Caithness needs to embrace tourism but on the other hand it is beautiful and unspoilt and worth exploring by people who will appreciate that. There are some stunning places in this country which are totally spoiled by tourist influx.

is he still on it ..................

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Doupy Dan was a local character and a human being and I resent the tone of your post!

I agree that Caithness needs to embrace tourism but on the other hand it is beautiful and unspoilt and worth exploring by people who will appreciate that. There are some stunning places in this country which are totally spoiled by tourist influx.
    Wifie; I have been to so many places in Scotland and the "tourist" does not spoil it. The tourist brings in much needed income to a hell of a lot of places and if Caithness doesn't pull it's it's socks up, we will lose that forever. At the moment, Dounreay is still the biggest employer, but that will not last forever and tourism is in my opinion our only hope of income into the community. Certainly windmills and wave power won't do it. If tourism is not emrbraced we will continue to simply be a part of the route to Orkney. At the moment that's all we appear to be.

No matter where you go in Scotland there are maps of where you can walk, but Caithness, NO. Now before anyone start going on about "freedom to roam", a lot of visitors aren't used to such a thing so that's where we need waymarked walks. We have so much lovely coast in Caithness and so many inland walks we should be promoting it big style! We have two lovely towns, Thurso the most northerly in Britain and most of Wick designed by Thomas Telford, one of Scotlands most famous sons. Does the average visitor know that??

The Loafer

The Loafer

Have a look at www.ross-tours.co.uk and take a look at the testimonials. People actually do enjoy tours in Caithness!

Quote Originally Posted by elamanya View Post
    what else could be added .....
    You cant miss Alice's Just up the coast from Whaligoe steps

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    You cant miss Alice's. Just up the coast from Whaligoe steps
    Would the door be slammed in my face?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Have a look at www.ross-tours.co.uk and take a look at the testimonials. People actually do enjoy tours in Caithness!

Max; they possibly do but we cannot depend on smaller websites, we have to hit visitscotland , walkscotland and other major websites that people are more likely to visit. We need more than the Castle of Mey and John o'Groats is to be honest a bit of an embarrassment (no disrespect to my Groat bud's). I have met folk in Groats who have asked me where it is and have had to reply "You're here!" JOG has so much more to offer than just the end of the road. How many folk have walked the coast to Shell beach? It is a beautiful walk.

The Loafer

I have to agree that Caithness isnt on alot of maps.
    I never knew there was such beautiful scenery here till I came.
    I had bad images because all you read in the press and journal etc is how bad Wick is etc and thats all people are seeing,
    Also if anyone was to read quite a few posts on here they would get a bad impression of the people and thats a sad thing because ive met a lot of nice people here.
    Tourism only enhances a place with income and generally very good feedback.
    Dare I say it but the Mod will bring in alot of money to Caithness were talking big scale and I think it would be worth people remembering that.
    Tours would be a fantastic idea theres so many beautiful places here and so many people dont know anything about them

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    Wifie; I have been to so many places in Scotland and the "tourist" does not spoil it. The tourist brings in much needed income to a hell of a lot of places and if Caithness doesn't pull it's it's socks up, we will lose that forever. At the moment, Dounreay is still the biggest employer, but that will not last forever and tourism is in my opinion our only hope of income into the community. Certainly windmills and wave power won't do it. If tourism is not emrbraced we will continue to simply be a part of the route to Orkney. At the moment that's all we appear to be.

No matter where you go in Scotland there are maps of where you can walk, but Caithness, NO. Now before anyone start going on about "freedom to roam", a lot of visitors aren't used to such a thing so that's where we need waymarked walks. We have so much lovely coast in Caithness and so many inland walks we should be promoting it big style! We have two lovely towns, Thurso the most northerly in Britain and most of Wick designed by Thomas Telford, one of Scotlands most famous sons. Does the average visitor know that??

The Loafer

The Loafer

It's a bit like Thurso east, that was always a lovely walk but it struck me yesterday when I was down with the dog how sad and dilapidated it now looks. What a sad waste. Not to mention the stench of effluent and it running onto the beach
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Caithness could certainly do a lot better for tourists. Orkney does very well in the holiday season much better publicity. It is time Caithness cought on to this there is lots of interest in Caithness if this was advertised more. As I see it most tourists see Caithness as just somewhere you pass through on your way to Orkney.

I am a Caithness tourist.I visited and I stayed.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

This forum and the photography section is a brilliant advert for Caithness.

Maybe the tourists are there Loafer its just so vast you dont notice them.

We've been up a few times and thats what we love about the place.
    You can still play "spot the local" which is impossible during the summer as we're over run with tourists on Skye.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

As someone who has had the privilege of being a tourist in Caithness, it's a wonderful and unique experience to be certain. That being said, I continue to be astounded that out of all of the Homecomming 2009 stuff I am being bombed with here in the states, I see no information on Caithness.

I am sure everyone there enjoys their peace, but they are leaving out one of the best parts!

Oh, and a question - is it natural to get these urges to walk the Dunbeath Strath, have supper at the #1 Bistro, a pint at Alexander Bain's, stroll along the harbor in Wick, visit the beach at Thurso?

I was there last year, but for some reason I feel the urge to book a flight from LA and do it some more.

Bruce H
    [getting the tourist urge]

Caithness is great for the outdoors - 2 problems if you put up way marked paths these days;
    1. the landscape will end up ruined by millions of Health and Safety Signs with DANGER OF DEATH - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - in big red letters.
    2. the paths will end up litterd by little plastic bags of dog excrement.
    The view from the top of Dorrey beside Loch Calder is stunning, especially if you go now before the midges come out.