Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: super fish & chips

Default super fish & chips

tonight I had the best fish supper for a long time, big slab of fresh cod, crispy batter ( and I mean big--hanging over the plate at both ends) chips not greasy --lovely, from the cross at lybster, It has changed hands and the meal was lovely, Oh I was at the portlands the week before and paid twice as much for the same meal, in comparison that was poor,left still hungry, wich is certainly not the case tonight.

Sounds lovely!! where abouts is that? Is it near the Portland hotel?

For the Very Best Fish and Chips you should try the Mobile Fish & Chip Van. Beautiful Fresh Fish and Hand Cut Chips. Also great Value for Money and while there ask about their Home Made Cheese Cake, it is to Die for, YUMMY. I can't wait until tonight when they are in Thurso, Ormlie Community Centre.

Here is a Link to their web site, check out the places where the Van visits :-

http://www.chef4celebrations.com/

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I have just been advised that due to commitments with O'neill and the Highland Surfing Championship the Mobile Chip Van will not be able be at any of their Venues this week. SOB!!

Hopefully he will be back on Schedule next week.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    For the Very Best Fish and Chips you should try the Mobile Fish & Chip Van. Beautiful Fresh Fish and Hand Cut Chips.
    I was disappointed with the fish and chips from the mobile chippy. The batter on the fish was soggy inside and I didn't like the chips. I was really looking forward to it as well after the recommendations in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I was disappointed with the fish and chips from the mobile chippy. The batter on the fish was soggy inside and I didn't like the chips. I was really looking forward to it as well after the recommendations in here.

I have never been Disappointed with any food from the Mobile Chip Van. I love his Fish as it has thet Fresh Taste that is missing from most other Chip Shops. Since he only Cooks per order yje Batter is always crisp and delicious. Also the Hbad Cut Chips make all the difference and to me they are the best chips you can buy from any Chippy.

But as always it really is a matter of taste and I xan only state my opinion, but honestly I have never ever been served with soggy batter.

Edgar Allen Poe

I bought 4 fish suppers for the family and a visiting friend. Only my wife said she thought it was ok. The batter was crisp on the outside, soggy/doughy on the inside. There was lots left over, both fish and chips as the rest of us didn't like it. You've certainly had a better experience than me and I accept that mine could have been a one off but I doubt I'd go back.
    Last edited by Geo; 30-Apr-09 at 21:01.

witnessed the highly esteemed 'chef' at Brims today ...

watched in wonder and slight disgust as he prepared and cooked a cheese burger without once cleaning his hands as he handled uncooked burgers and then used the same manky fingers to blob some cheese onto it.

not sure if he thinks the punters can't see this from his 'elevated' position, but after witnessing this we went back into town and had our fill at the fisherman's mission at Scrabster ..... excellent

p.s. we were also wondering why the 10 year old 'helper' at the van wasn't at school, but then assumed that this lucky lad would be inheriting the business and therefore doesn't need an education .... 'ouch' !!

i await this honest message to be removed/my suspension to be forthcoming

What you say is Just not believeable and I do NOT belive this at all.

I have seen Mr Booth cook many times in his van and he is VERY Fastideous with washing his hands. Also I have never ever seen him handle a Burger with his bare hands as he uses Tongs.

I do not like this kind of post and you should be ashamed of yourself as this is the 2nd place you have posted this.

Edgar Allen Poe

whether you like or believe it or not is irrelevant

as i said, it's an honest post

i can't even say that he was busy and that's why he was lackadaisical with his hygiene, but we know what we saw

to say i should be ashamed of myself is comical

Let Mr Booth come on here and deny it, until then haud yer horses

Afraid I must agree with Geo about the soggy batter, very greasy and undercooked inside but nice and crisp outside. Suffered indegestion for hours. Excellent chips though, the family dumped their fish on me and nicked my chips. Went back the following week to tell him but he wasn't there.

Looking forward to the chip vans next visit to Watten....fish and chips are done to perfection....definately a hit with my oh and me...Lovely guy plenty of chat and we will certainly be back...again and again and again...........

lets's hope he washes his hands before he cooks your fish supper

still no reply from Mr Booth

this hygiene report from last month backs up what we saw

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvir...lebrations.htm

apologies to Alison for her recommendation for the Cross Cafe in Lybster being hijacked,
    we're gonna visit there soon so will get this thread back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by greenasiamcabbagelooking View Post
    l

this hygiene report from last month backs up what we saw

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvir...lebrations.htm

This is a pretty damming report, what items were "cluttering" floor?

I personally would never eat from a mobile chip/food van (not just this one) as it is inpossible to ensure that van is kept clean. Think how many arms touch van counter and how many people vendors come into contact with just by taking money.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    This is a pretty damming report, what items were "cluttering" floor?

I personally would never eat from a mobile chip/food van (not just this one) as it is inpossible to ensure that van is kept clean. Think how many arms touch van counter and how many people vendors come into contact with just by taking money.
    I don't think it was a damning report at all. A few things needed sorted and probably have been put right since that report. None of them sound difficult to do.

The amount of people touching the counter and contact though money exchanging hands will be the same for any chippy not just a mobile one. In fact in normal chippes people often lean on the counter, the mobile one is too high to do that.

A lot of people can get ill in the 6/8 weeks they have been given to clean their van up.

If an establishment (either mobile or building) fails an inspection, it should be shut down immediately untill all issues have been resolved.

I have to agree with the comments on the food being under cooked and hygene low. I stated this on the recommendations page before I was so disappointed

A lot of people can get ill in the 6/8 weeks they have been given to clean their van up.

If an establishment (either mobile or building) fails an inspection, it should be shut down immediately untill all issues have been resolved.
    Just because they gave 6/8 weeks doesn't mean it took 6/8 weeks to remedy. Establishments ARE closed down when the failure poses a health risk, which this obviously didn't.

I was disappointed with the food but the report mentioned above wouldn't bother me as the points mentioned could be fixed right away.
    Last edited by Geo; 06-May-09 at 15:43.

Where abouts in Lybster is it?

I am sure that if there was any risk to health they would have been shut down. Minor infringements seem to get blown out of all proportion. I would have no reservations about eating food from the van if it was better cooked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast