Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Open Mic?

Default Open Mic?

Would open mic nights not work in Caithness??

dont see why it wudnt work its worth a try i guess eh.

Where? If it was well advertised, can't see why not.

It's a shame that all the Comm seems to do is the Wednesday folk night. An accoustic open mic night would be quite good there wouldn't it? I guess there isn't much places to have one in Thurso. I don't know what Wick's pubs are like though so couldn't comment on that.

I reckon maybe the Black Stairs would be good in Wick.

Thurso.... the Redwood maybe? I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatsPurr
    Would open mic nights not work in Caithness??
    Not work? I don't understand. What do you mean by that?

Anyway, I think anything that encourages people to be musical - and creative - is a positive thing. It only takes someone to start the whole thing off. How hard can it be? In Edinburgh there is a great open mic night called Acoustica. KT Tunstall used to run it; you may have heard of her. Performers are invited to get up and play two (original) songs thus keeping the evening fast-paced, interesting and full of variety. In other words, you don't get bogged down by some radge playing long-winded covers of the day, hogging the 'chair' all night.

Knowing Caithness and its people, though, the fear of doing something slightly original and inventive - and being faced with possible ridicule - will put them off. Prove me wrong. Really. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatsPurr
    I guess there isn't much places to have one in Thurso.
    The Redwood; Ashes Bar (Weigh Inn); Top Joes; The Central; St Clair; Royal Public Bar; Comm; Holborn; Liquid; Ormlie Lodge; Viewfirth; Park Hotel (Orange Room); Grove Lounge, etc., etc.

What I meant by my original question was, would people turn up to play and would people turn up to listen? Thought that was obvious, sorry!

Anyway, there are loads of pubs, granted, but I don't really think the majority of them would have the right kinda atmosphere for something like that. But then again, if there was enough support, it might work anywhere. Who knows unless it's tried?!

Does anyone know if anyone has ever tried it before in Thurso/Wick/Caithness?

[QUOTE=TopCatsPurr]
    Anyway, there are loads of pubs, granted, but I don't really think the majority of them would have the right kinda atmosphere for something like that.
    QUOTE]

Right atmosphere? Can you elaborate? Call me stupid, but I don't quite follow what you mean. What are you insinuating? What is the "right" atmosphere? I don't go to Caithness pubs much, so you'll have to bring me up to speed.

Default Pepsi

For a man who makes words his profession you are incredibly dense and by you last post , I will call you stupid
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Blah, blah, blah, bling, bling, blah...

Blah, blah, blah, bling, bling, blah...

Default Burp

No need to repeat yourself, we understood you the first time.

www.thestand.co.uk

Not sure when newcomers are allowed a stint, but you can give them a ring, Gleber2

Just what are you insinuating, young fellow. You think I'm joking? Strats at dawn and we'll see.

star glazer Guest

What is this all about Gleeber! It's only a discussion about an open mic session.
    The unwise man never shuts up..the old fool is always arguing.. the superior man, "pure fantasy"......
    Strats at dawn, oh yeh! whilst welded to my seat.... borrrrrrrrring.

Thumbs up

Nice one Star Glazer,ha ha ha ha hee hee hee

here killarifts,
    have you ever thought of doing a open mic duo with billy the bucket!!!!!!!

star glazer Guest

OK, How about Killarifts and Gleeber2 Strats drawn at dawn, just name the place for the shoot out. No contest!!!!

What passes for a sense of humour these days? And,BTW, I'm Gleber2 not Gleeber. Keep up the good work Baz!!!!!