Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Which laptop?

Default Which laptop?

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for around £400?

I don't want to spend too much, as it's just going to be a 2nd computer, with my desktop being the main computer. It needs to be idiot friendly, as I'm hoping my husband will use it! I was thinking about the Sony Vaio laptop for £350 in Argos, but they are sold out!

What's it likely to be used for? Is there anything in particular he will need (i.e. card reader if he's into photography, bluetooth for linking to a mobile phone, webcam, etc.)?

http://www.johnlewis.com/230551496/Product.aspx

this is the one I recently purchased. Its quite nice, good price. Idiot proof too!

I have bought a few things, including my present laptop from ebuyer, and have had no problems with them.

This Dual Core, Acer laptop they have just now looks like quite a good deal.

I'm hoping to use the laptop to teach my hubby, as he has no idea how to use a computer!

I would also be using the laptop, so would need a card reader as I take loads of pics on my digital camera.

It would mainly be used for the internet.

Of the two recommended here I'd plump for the Acer from Ebuyer - it has a better processor & bigger screen and is only £10 more than the Argos offering. I use Ebuyer regularly and find them excellent to deal with, and this model ticks all the boxes IMO.

If you have a preference for Windows XP instead of Vista then it is possible to get systems with both Vista & XP options.

I Just Got myself a new Dell laptop. its was from tesco for £399 and had £50 off!

Its great!

ACER Aspire 5535 from Tesco in Wick. Reduced to 399.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Still haven't made a decision, but will hopefully get a chance to look around at the weekend.
    Hubby has decided that he doesn't want an Acer laptop - doesn't like the name apparently! Seeing as he is going to pay for it, I'll have to let him have some say in the decision!