Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Green Beetle

Question Green Beetle

I'm probably the only person in Caithness who doesn't know this. Please could someone enlighten me?
    What are those little green ladybird type critters that seem to be everywhere just now? We had hundreds last year and we seem to have thousands this year. It's hard to move around this house without either standing or sitting on one.

hmmm a discription could do with a photo of the little blighter lol
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Ah, a photo. I only once managed to actually post a photo, and it took me several days. And that was with lots of help from other Orgers. I don't think I could repeat the process, but I'll have a go tomorrow. Meanwhile the best I can do it describe it as a green ladybird. Maybe a bit smaller than a ladybird. And there are thousands of them around.
    Now, where's that camera?

I know the ones your talking about there little beetles with metallic green wings I keep seeing them outside. Their a gorgeous colour tho

will probably be a Chrysolina menthrasti; its the only bright green one i can think of that size
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    will probably be a Chrysolina menthrasti; its the only bright green one i can think of that size
    I've googled that and it's not the same insect. Thanks for trying anyway. S&LHEN used the word metallic to describe the beetle. I think they are talking about the same one as I am.

I've got a couple of passable photos, but just don't have time today to make another attempt at posting them.

is it this one?

seems to be called Chrysochus auratus or Dogbane Beetle
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

yea that looks like the one ive seen but their tiny My wee son npicked one up and put it in his mouth yesterday - I nearly had a fit

Quote Originally Posted by S&LHEN View Post
    yea that looks like the one ive seen but their tiny My wee son npicked one up and put it in his mouth yesterday - I nearly had a fit
    ahh, my son is at that stage too... thankfully just mud from the "black garden" so far.. he comes in and says "i eat mud... yummy"

im sure they are harmless, but have a wee look online...
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Well, honey, I put our photos side by side and compared them. They are very similar, but now that I zoom in on mine, I can see he has two, or maybe three, blue stripes on his back.
    Maybe they're related, but they're definitely not the same.
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'll try to find time later in the week to wade through some 'beetle' sites.

Wonder if it's Crytocephalus Hypochaeridis, they have a special liking for yellow flowers.
    Will try and scan a picture later.

Why can't they give beetles proper names, strange that so few have them.

Great photo Lizz.
    I like the way the colour of the flower is reflected on the beetle. Like 'my' beetle, it's a beautiful creature. I want to know what mine is called so that I can look it up and learn a bit more about it. Meanwhile, I still have thousands of them here.
    Maybe I need to borrow a child to eat them!

Last edited by nirofo; 22-Apr-09 at 17:45.

Sorry, nirofo, but I don't think that's the same critter. It's similar, but longer than mine, I think.
    My eyes are starting to go funny from comparing beetle photos.
    I'll post the answer if I find out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    Sorry, nirofo, but I don't think that's the same critter. It's similar, but longer than mine, I think.
    My eyes are starting to go funny from comparing beetle photos.
    I'll post the answer if I find out what it is.
    Any chance you posting a photo so we have a better idea of what we're looking for?

nirofo.

That's a sore point with me (see third post). I don't know what my problem is, but a big shutter comes down on my brain whenever I try to post a photo.
    I'll willingly email photos to anyone who wants to trust me with their email address.