Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Britain’s Got Talent (merged threads)

I do have some sympathy for her, but only some. She entered the competition knowing that by standing on that stage that she was going to be judged,after all thats why its a competition!!!!
    I treat her in the same way i would treat anybody,I dont feel the need to treat her in any special way because she lost a talent show.
    She may have learning difficulties but how many others do too but dont get the media coverage?(or the chances she has gotten)
    Anyone that has learning difficulties wants to be treated equally,and if she didnt have them but lost then how many would still be feeling sorry for her?

She lost but she will still make money out of it,so its a win-win situation,she may have had a hard life but who hasnt?
    How many people can get booked into the Priory when they have a breakdown? They cant they have to make do with the NHS like the rest of us,so she is already getting "special treatment".

[quote=butterfly;556394]
    Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Butterfly, she DID appear to be not of the full monty on the show. I'm sorry if you do not like the way I say things but it doesn't change me thinking them.

Porshiepoo,as Tbh said already,hypoxia is the reason for her behaviour and this was a factor from the beginning.Her behaviour did not put off people watching her singing,i think it made people like her more.

Ah yes, but all I said was that her behaviour appeared to be that of someone who isn't the full monty or the sharpest tool in the box. I never said she IS those things. I was simply trying to describe a persons behaviour on the show.

I am not one of these people who think that a person needs sympathy and/or special attention because they have a learning difficulty of some description.
    In normal, everyday life, yes I understand the help and support people with these difficulties need but put yourself into the limelight knowing full well you will not cope with the pressure is not very responsible.
    I also do not believe that someone with difficulties such as Susans would want to be patronised and felt sorry for and treated in any way superior to anyone else just because of a learning difficulty.

I'm not even sure where these "learning disfficulty" claims have stemmed from, certainly her own brother doesn't appear to think she has any.
    As for the Hypoxia, again, I've only heard that on this forum and before her meltdown at the weekend I'd heard no mention of it at all.
    Indeed, if Susan Boyle does suffer from something as serious as Hypoxia the question has to be asked that as a responsible adult should she have put herself in such a taxing and anxious environment as BGT?
    I'm not suggesting that anyone with a difficulty or illness should be discriminated against, however the onus has to lie with Susan.
    I suffer from Narcolepsy and FMS and due to these illnesses I'd probably be incapable of running a full marathon. I'd love to be able to but the end result even if I did manage to finish would be devastating both mentally and physically. As a responsible adult it is my responsibility to accept those limits.
    Should I push myself regardless and complete a marathon anyway (for my own self gain) could I then expect tea and sympathy, a room at the priory - paid for by the marathon organisers - to recover? Would it be the marathon organisers responsibilty to sort out my irresponsibility? Would it be fair if my antics then hit the headlines and took any glory away from the rightful winner?
    I daresay not!

I do however wish Susan a speedy recovery, I also hope that she has some responsible people around her to guide her and help her with her future career and not just people who want to make money from her.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

[quote=porshiepoo;556442]
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post

Ah yes, but all I said was that her behaviour appeared to be that of someone who isn't the full monty or the sharpest tool in the box. I never said she IS those things. I was simply trying to describe a persons behaviour on the show.

I am not one of these people who think that a person needs sympathy and/or special attention because they have a learning difficulty of some description.
    In normal, everyday life, yes I understand the help and support people with these difficulties need but put yourself into the limelight knowing full well you will not cope with the pressure is not very responsible.
    I also do not believe that someone with difficulties such as Susans would want to be patronised and felt sorry for and treated in any way superior to anyone else just because of a learning difficulty.

I'm not even sure where these "learning disfficulty" claims have stemmed from, certainly her own brother doesn't appear to think she has any.
    As for the Hypoxia, again, I've only heard that on this forum and before her meltdown at the weekend I'd heard no mention of it at all.
    Indeed, if Susan Boyle does suffer from something as serious as Hypoxia the question has to be asked that as a responsible adult should she have put herself in such a taxing and anxious environment as BGT?
    I'm not suggesting that anyone with a difficulty or illness should be discriminated against, however the onus has to lie with Susan.
    I suffer from Narcolepsy and FMS and due to these illnesses I'd probably be incapable of running a full marathon. I'd love to be able to but the end result even if I did manage to finish would be devastating both mentally and physically. As a responsible adult it is my responsibility to accept those limits.
    Should I push myself regardless and complete a marathon anyway (for my own self gain) could I then expect tea and sympathy, a room at the priory - paid for by the marathon organisers - to recover? Would it be the marathon organisers responsibilty to sort out my irresponsibility? Would it be fair if my antics then hit the headlines and took any glory away from the rightful winner?
    I daresay not!

I do however wish Susan a speedy recovery, I also hope that she has some responsible people around her to guide her and help her with her future career and not just people who want to make money from her.
    say her brother on gmtv yesterday, and as you say he didnt wasnt aware of these learning difficulties that we are told she suffers from.

At the end of the day no-one forced her to go to to bgt did they, if she wasnt mentally capable of taking the pressure that would have come with it, then she should has stepped aside.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

[quote=balto;556454]
    Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    say her brother on gmtv yesterday, and as you say he didnt wasnt aware of these learning difficulties that we are told she suffers from.

At the end of the day no-one forced her to go to to bgt did they, if she wasnt mentally capable of taking the pressure that would have come with it, then she should has stepped aside.

Completely agree there.
    She obviously wanted the publicity as she wanted to forge ahead with her singing career.
    Well, she got the attention, she got the publicity and maybe she needs to accept that the limelight isn't for her after all, especially if this is how she reacts to coming second.

Her brother certainly disagreed with any learning difficulties, in fact he pointed out that she has as good a qualifications from school as anyone. He also never mentioned any other problems that may cause her to react the way she did, and in fact, Amanda Holden pointed out that the BGT team have been assured that there is no underlying cause for her breakdown, it was simply exhaustion.
    So that blows this Hypoxia theory out the window!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

[quote=porshiepoo;556469]
    Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post

Completely agree there.
    She obviously wanted the publicity as she wanted to forge ahead with her singing career.
    Well, she got the attention, she got the publicity and maybe she needs to accept that the limelight isn't for her after all, especially if this is how she reacts to coming second.

Her brother certainly disagreed with any learning difficulties, in fact he pointed out that she has as good a qualifications from school as anyone. He also never mentioned any other problems that may cause her to react the way she did, and in fact, Amanda Holden pointed out that the BGT team have been assured that there is no underlying cause for her breakdown, it was simply exhaustion.
    So that blows this Hypoxia theory out the window!
    i think it was more a case of judging a book by its cover. a the start she wasnt a bit bothered by all the attention as if she was used to it, personnaly i think she was going for he sympathy vote.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

What is it about humans that they have to dissect and analize everything to the point of creating WW111 It's so simple Susan Boyle entered BGT sang beautifully had x number of hits on youtube {Iv'e lost count}went onto the final and lost and is now receving treatment for a "breakdown" which she will most likely recover from..........whether she has learning difficulties, behavioural difficulties , some sort of mental or emotional disorder, maybe she's bipolar or even worse maybe she's schitzophrenic, or just maybe she is just being Susan Boyle, and Simon Cowell is just being Simon Cowell {even although all he sees is money} .........May God help us and save us from all the amateur psychologists and psychaitrists out there who would more than likely be better served looking at and sorting out their own problems instead of someone elses!

Please forgive some of my spelling I know some words are misplet.....its not a deliberate act it's just I'm not perfect and I make mistakes sometimes.........now don't get on my case and tell me that I may have an obsession or disorder of some sort {you'll have to get in the queue along with everyone else} I am seeing a psychiatrist and he says that I will get better in time as long as I stay clear of certain types of people!

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Yes I agree badger. They knew it from the outset and should have prepared to support her more.
    Would you, or anyone else who seem to be contributing little more than "I agree" care to enlighten us as to what more "support" the infamously anonymous "They" could have provided?

This is a televised talent show, any competitor is automatically going to be exposed to an audience of millions. The national newspapers are guaranteed to feed off that and provide yet more exposure. Internet sites and chatrooms are going to extend that still further and fawning Prime Ministers are there to steal and spread the limelight still further.

How do you stop any of that from happening? Do you get the vulnerable individual to sing in a private room and ban the cameras? Do you forbid the individual from reading the newspapers? Do you ask "experts" not to mention that the individual is a £5 million cash cow waiting to happen and hope that glazed eyed viewers, some with their own limitations in the grey cell area, don't start twittering on about singing in front of the Queen?

There is only one truly caring and truly effective option and that is to protect by preventing the whole juggernaut of celebrity from getting it's engine started, rather than pretending that it can be steered away from the inevitable crash without a steering wheel or brakes.

If Susan Boyle hadn't been able to sing well she would have been laughed off the stage and we would now all be talking about how cruel it was to expose a handicapped person to such treatment. Just because she CAN sing, it does not make her any better equipped mentally to cope with either the pressure or the inevitable jibes concerning her appearance. Just because she can make money out of this does not make it any less cruel in my opinion.

I would be interested in reading some input on what could have been done to protect someone from the monstrous side of Celebrity, when they are competing on a show designed to create celebrities!!

Well I'm hoping that the songbird makes a really good recovery and is able to take up the President of the United States' invitation to sing at the White House.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...r-brother.html

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo;
    Erm nope. I don't feel the need to explain myself to you or anybody else.......
    Ok, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture;
    Well I'm hoping that the songbird makes a really good recovery
    Yes, I hope so too.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post

Well I'm hoping that the songbird makes a really good recovery and is able to take up the President of the United States' invitation to sing at the White House.

I'm delighted to hear of Susan's invitation, and hope she will be well enough by then to sing at the White House. That would really make my 4th of July!!!!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Well said.

People tend to forget that Susan has learning difficulties due to a lack of oxygen at birth. Not one of the fans of the show can say that they didn't notice a "difference" between Susan and the other contestants. Her disability affects how she copes with situations and the outbursts and tantrums are part of her mental health condition. Her reactions to situations are more childlike than adult.

She was hounded for years by bullies and people who tormented her for the way she was. For her to then confront all them with her talent was very brave indeed. It is in very poor taste that many on here now feel its OK to make a fool of her now that she hasn't won. Her breakdown did not come as a result of not winning but more because she felt she had let people down by coming second. It was also very hard for her to understand that by losing it didn't mean the end, but more the beginning.

Using phrases such as a "sandwich short of a picnic" and "not the full loaf" to describe people with mental health issues infuriates me. Just because you can't see the illness it dosen't mean it's not there. How many of you would be name calling or making a fool out of her if she for example had Downs Syndrome?

With the right help she will go on to do well. She has a talent and deserves to have the fame and fortune that it brings with it. Hopefully it will make up for all the name calling, bullying and the disadvantages she has had to contend with so far in her life.
    Since the system won't let me good rep you, I'd like to express my agreement and thank you for this informative and compassionate post.

These are Susans own words and they say it all.
    ''All my life I've always striven to prove myself that I can be accepted...that I'm not the worthless person that people think I am..that I do have something to offer...''

For me she is a beacon of hope for all who have a difficulty in life, no matter what it may be and a bravery that few of us have, in facing up to our own shortfalls.

Susan Boyle has touched the hearts and minds, one way or another, of all of us and she will go on and fulfill her dream and inspire others to do the same.
    Susan was not only born with the gift of song but, the gift of courage.

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    ''All my life I've always striven to prove myself that I can be accepted...that I'm not the worthless person that people think I am..that I do have something to offer...''

For me she is a beacon of hope for all who have a difficulty in life, no matter what it may be and a bravery that few of us have, in facing up to our own shortfalls.

Susan Boyle has touched the hearts and minds, one way or another, of all of us and she will go on and fulfill her dream and inspire others to do the same.
    What a fabulously uplifting post, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all.

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post

An excellent post. I agree fully with the sentiment of it. The question still remains however as to whether a multi-million viewer TV show was the right place to start her journey to achieving her personal goal. I would say it is self evident that it wasn't.

Susan has proved her point now. She has shown that she can entertain millions. Whether or not this will have any longevity is a matter of debate. Part of her appeal was her defiance of pre-conceptions regarding her background and her appearance, and she is only covering other peoples songs. Novelty has a habit of wearing off and another "Latest great thing" will appear at some time. The main thing is that she has shown that she has some ability and the focus should surely move to making her mental well-being the SOLE priority. Fulfilling a dream at the expense of your sanity is not success.

I wish people would stop wittering on about being well enough to sing for President Obama. For goodness sake, the woman is in a mental health facilty!!

Imagine the scenario:-

"OK Susan, you're feeling a bit better now and we are going to help keep the pressure off you for the next while. We are keeping it low-key for now and you are singing for the President of the USA next week. Oh come on now, don't cry Susan, I don't think many people will be there and I can't see there being any cameras or reporters about"

Frying pan/fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I'm delighted to hear of Susan's invitation, and hope she will be well enough by then to sing at the White House. That would really make my 4th of July!!!!
    I hope she is well AND sitting back at home out of the limelight. Do you really want to take someone who burned out under the lights and then thrust them back under some much more powerful lights?

That would be fabulous to see and hear. I quite fancy Obama so I hope Susan is back to her best by then.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    That would be fabulous to see and hear. I quite fancy Obama so I hope Susan is back to her best by then.
    This should be right up your street as well:-

http://www.heatworld.com/Article/108...ary-Room-chair!

Quality!!

Isn't it better to have sung and lost, than never to have sung at all?
    That's what Andrew Bolt asks somewhat rhetorically in the Melbourne Herald Sun.

He concludes what I think is a rather good article with.....
    First, of course, she must realise she did not lose in coming second in Got Talent, but had already won.

Then the rest of us will realise it would have been crueller to have never let Boyle sing than to have finally let her show she really could.
    I concur.

Melbourne Herald Sun

Have been away for a few days so catching up now. Teenybash, your post about Susan was again brilliant and just what I would have said. I hope the Queen has her wish granted, maybe Susan won`t get to sing at the Royal Variety show, but perhaps when the Queen is in residence at Holyrood Palace Susan may be invited to sing at the garden party.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by crayola;
    ..........I concur.

Melbourne Herald Sun
    I agree.
    If you managed to secure a spare ticket to the BGT performance at the Glasgow SE&CC, give me a shout. I see that the Edinburgh Playhouse performance the next night is all sold out.