Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Britain’s Got Talent (merged threads)

She's a grown woman who entered a competition of her own free will. If she knew that she dealt with tough situations by becoming over anxious etc etc (according to her brother) then she should have either A) not entered the competition - if she thinks this media is bad and exhausting what makes her think she could take it further anyways? or B) Act like the grown woman she is and not have a tantrum and hide behind the "Exhaustion" label just because she didn't expect to come second.

Whatever happens now she'll have a career or at least a monetary value to her life. She's gonna need it - don't think BGT bigwigs will continue to pay for her future stays at the Priory.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

So many people seem to be ignoring the fact that Susan Boyle has learning difficulties. I seem to remember this being mentioned after her first performance and a little understanding of this would be good here. There is no reason why she should not have entered the competition but the organisers should have taken advice and I think she should have had some kind of suitable experienced "friend" to guide her through. The best thing that could happen to her now would be to return to her village with the memory of her moment of glory and the knowledge she had done something special as I don't see how she will cope with this level of relentless publicity.

I watch this programme for the genuine talent that is found but do wish they would leave the entrants alone and not try to transform them. They are nearly all more attractive and natural as they first appear and usually perform better. The further they progress the more they are changed and spoilt. I don't like the freak element and wish they would weed out those who are going to be mocked before they appear on tv.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Nvidi4 View Post
    I think Susan Boyle rocks and should be given a "special" place on The Royal Variety show alongside Diversity seeing as she is after all a very "special" lady. Im sure the Queen and other members of the Royal Family would love to see her .....I did read somewhere that Prince Charles was a fan of hers! Get well soon Susan and don't let the negative ones get to you! There's nothing wrong with her but there's a lot wrong with the ones who criticise and make so-called "wise" cracks...makes me wonder who is the more "handicapped" ....where's the compassion!!!!!!!
    Well said.

People tend to forget that Susan has learning difficulties due to a lack of oxygen at birth. Not one of the fans of the show can say that they didn't notice a "difference" between Susan and the other contestants. Her disability affects how she copes with situations and the outbursts and tantrums are part of her mental health condition. Her reactions to situations are more childlike than adult.

She was hounded for years by bullies and people who tormented her for the way she was. For her to then confront all them with her talent was very brave indeed. It is in very poor taste that many on here now feel its OK to make a fool of her now that she hasn't won. Her breakdown did not come as a result of not winning but more because she felt she had let people down by coming second. It was also very hard for her to understand that by losing it didn't mean the end, but more the beginning.

Using phrases such as a "sandwich short of a picnic" and "not the full loaf" to describe people with mental health issues infuriates me. Just because you can't see the illness it dosen't mean it's not there. How many of you would be name calling or making a fool out of her if she for example had Downs Syndrome?

With the right help she will go on to do well. She has a talent and deserves to have the fame and fortune that it brings with it. Hopefully it will make up for all the name calling, bullying and the disadvantages she has had to contend with so far in her life.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Nvidi4 View Post

I think Susan Boyle rocks and should be given a "special" place on The Royal Variety show alongside Diversity seeing as she is after all a very "special" lady. Im sure the Queen and other members of the Royal Family would love to see her .....I did read somewhere that Prince Charles was a fan of hers! Get well soon Susan and don't let the negative ones get to you! There's nothing wrong with her but there's a lot wrong with the ones who criticise and make so-called "wise" cracks...makes me wonder who is the more "handicapped" ....where's the compassion!!!!!!!
    I would be delighted if Susan is allowed to perform before the Queen on The Royal Variety Show. I know that has been a dream of Susan's also, and it wouldn't surprise me if the whole Royal Family is a fan of hers, to be honest!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Well said, Venture, Sporran and Badger, your posts showed compassion and feeling for Susan, what a pity more orgers were not the same.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo;
    Everytime Susan was on the show my husband and I thought she looked and acted like she was a tad.............er............ wired???!!!! Sandwich short of a picnic? Not the full loaf?
    ....... Plus she's just plain scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo;
    She's a grown woman who entered a competition of her own free will......... Whatever happens now she'll have a career or at least a monetary value to her life. She's gonna need it - don't think BGT bigwigs will continue to pay for her future stays at the Priory.
    I can't quite equate your first post with your subsequent one. Would you care to explain?

This poor woman has been hounded harassed,ridiculed and more importantly lulled into the believe that she was going to win the final.

I have no idea what learning disability she has but the niavity and behaviour would suggest autism related.
    If she was recognised as being a "vulnerable adult" where's or who was suppose to be looking out for her.

The fall out from this experience will never leave her and quiet frankly Simon@co should have left her alone and not "used" her as reality fodder for their tv show.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

[quote=Venture;556198]
    Using phrases such as a "sandwich short of a picnic" and "not the full loaf" to describe people with mental health issues infuriates me. Just because you can't see the illness it dosen't mean it's not there. How many of you would be name calling or making a fool out of her if she for example had Downs Syndrome?

Agree Venture,it's disgusting to see the comments on here about Susan Boyle.

Considering Susan has learning difficulties and entered BGT not all that long after loosing her mother and sang her heart out and got to the final it says a lot about her the people love her and that's all that matters....... she's got all the hits on youtube and I reckon she's opened a lot of peoples hearts to being more compassionate and understanding and shown up the bad guys for what they really are and that's not a bad thing....... shame that there's some out there she just didn't get to!

It's rather surprising that a member on here is making derogatory comments about about Susan Boyle's learning difficulty's when they themselves have a relation with the same problems or have they forgotten that.Would they like the same remarks said about their relation,i think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt View Post
    Alternative way of looking at it.

I find it slightly ironic and basically hilarious that the fans of the show, those who fed the demand for this garbage are now the ones complaining about Susan Boyles treatment. I have only seen one episode and that was because I was at a friends house and they wouldnt turn it off, even after I offered cash. Its car crash tv at its worst.

If you followed this programme, if you voted, if you wait with baited breath for the next edition of OK magazine to find out the latest inane drivel about these bunch of nobodies then the hard fact is that you are responsible in a small way for Susan ending up in this state. Because you fed the demand, and without that there would be no show. How many times have we heard people say they only watch it to see the weirdos ??, and yet I am apparenty the one that "has no heart" .. erm .. no. Just no.

What is REALLY funny is that these people are the first in line to criticise people like me who openly say they have no smypathy for her. Hard hearted I may be on this subject, no argument from me there as I believe she got herself into the situation. End of. But as someone who would rather perform a root canal on myself than watch 60 seconds of this drivel I am hardly responsible in any way for that womans condition.

So to all the self righteous .. chew on that before you climb onto your soap box.
    Unfortunately, the sheer numbers that are willing to have the frontal lobotomy that is "car crash tv", far out-weigh those that would rather have root canal treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Everytime Susan was on the show my husband and I thought she looked and acted like she was a tad.............er............ wired???!!!! Sandwich short of a picnic? Not the full loaf?
    We both thought she acted really strange on Saturday night so weren't suprised by her "breakdown".
    Strangely enough, Hypoxia can do that to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Whatever happens now she'll have a career or at least a monetary value to her life. She's gonna need it - don't think BGT bigwigs will continue to pay for her future stays at the Priory.
    BGT won't need to pay for any future treatment, the woman is going to become a muti-millionaire, kinda burns you up inside, doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    I can't quite equate your first post with your subsequent one. Would you care to explain?
    Perhaps YOU might like to explain what it is that you can't equate, before asking someone to explain themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Well said.
    People tend to forget that Susan has learning difficulties due to a lack of oxygen at birth. Not one of the fans of the show can say that they didn't notice a "difference" between Susan and the other contestants. Her disability affects how she copes with situations and the outbursts and tantrums are part of her mental health condition. Her reactions to situations are more childlike than adult <snip>
    Thanks Venture, I actually did not know most of that about Susan Boyle.

I'm not a fan of this type of show as I said earlier. I wish her well however.

So many different people with so many different perceptions with regards to Susan Boyle. I'll stick with mine as that's what I feel comfortable with, it may appear self righteous to some but then again that's their perception not mine. Susan Boyle doesn't know all the people out there who are thinking @ talking about her in a negative manner behind her back so to speak, possibly that could be why she's ended up where she is............should try sending her positive thoughts to help her not negative ones. Rock on Susan!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    So many people seem to be ignoring the fact that Susan Boyle has learning difficulties. I seem to remember this being mentioned after her first performance and a little understanding of this would be good here. There is no reason why she should not have entered the competition
    I totally disagree. If Susan Boyle's mental status is as backward and fragile as some people seem to be making out, there is no way in Hell that she should have been exposed to the media circus that is UK reality TV. Tens of millions of vultures are waiting there to laugh at the talentless and pathetic hopefuls that are duped into believing that they have some modicum of "talent"

Let's face it, most of the acts that pitch up on these shows are dross, and any particle with the merest hint of "shine" is then seized to be hyped up a million times past their true ability. It is a false world, where big money signs and all the trappings of a celebrity lifestyle are swung in front of your eyes like a hypnotist's pendulum.

History is littered with many more talented and resilient individuals who didn't cope with fame. Drink and drugs often act as a crutch for stars burning in the glare of publicity. It is not a lifestyle to be recommended for a shy spinster of totally sound and stable mind, much less so for a person who it is claimed has only a partial grip on reality. We are not talking about someone having a fun go at the Karaoke when on holiday at Butlins. This is worldwide exposure virtually overnight and I challenge anyone on this board to say that THEY would not be emotionally shattered by such a turn of events, let alone someone of reported vulnerability.

To those who seem to "know" what caused Susan's breakdown, I can only say you don't KNOW anything. All you know is what is being written by journalists trying to milk a story in the way they see best. If the woman is retarded, how can ANYONE know how she truly feels?

As for those who keep talking about her getting back onto the road to fame and fortune, I suggest having a wee think about where those goals have led her so far.

And Jesus Wept.

So many people seem to be ignoring the fact that Susan Boyle has learning difficulties <snip>.
    Yes I agree badger. They knew it from the outset and should have prepared to support her more.

Erm nope. I don't feel the need to explain myself to you or anybody else.

Some of us are allowed a different opinion on the phenomenom that is Susan Boyle you know.
    I'm quite fine with the majority of people believing that she's genuinely exhausted or has been taken advantage of or believe that due to learning difficulties she should be treated higher and mightier than the next person.
    I just happen to disagree.
    Same as I don't think that Holly Steel should have been given a second chance to sing. Nobody else would have got that opportunity but a few well placed tears and a threat of creating more resulted in her getting a chance no one else would have got. Yep, I'm a real nasty person I know.

I watched the first time sheusan sang and yes i was blown away, but not because of some fantastic voice that rivals the likes of her idol, Elaine Paige, but simply because the voice didn't fit the face - it wasn't what 99.9% of the country expected.
    Take away that sheer suprise and her voice is OK, but not mind blowing.

What made matters worse for Susan was that she became an overnight superstar and she bought into all the hype that she was a guaranteed winner of BGT.
    Exhausted she may be but as an adult it is her responsibilty to know her limits and to know whether her past history suggests that she may not emotionally or mentally cope with the effects of the show. Failing that her family should have stepped in.
    It's annoying when people claim that that responsibility lies at the foot of the show - it doesn't. People who enter the show know full well what they're getting into.

Butterfly, she DID appear to be not of the full monty on the show. I'm sorry if you do not like the way I say things but it doesn't change me thinking them.
    Perhaps in your Butterfly world you would prefer me to say that the Darling Woman appeared to be a trifle anxious although gracious in her defeat? Wouldn't be true though would it!
    Yes she made a very nice comment to Diversity saying the best act won and graciously gave them their 1 minute of fame before she does her attention seeking body wobble, leg showing and "all for you Piersy baby" speech.
    Her behaviour was quite frankly embarrassing to watch.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Yes I agree badger. They knew it from the outset and should have prepared to support her more.
    Agree Moira,she should have had more support.

So many people seem to be ignoring the fact that Susan Boyle has learning difficulties. I seem to remember this being mentioned after her first performance and a little understanding of this would be good here. There is no reason why she should not have entered the competition but the organisers should have taken advice and I think she should have had some kind of suitable experienced "friend" to guide her through. The best thing that could happen to her now would be to return to her village with the memory of her moment of glory and the knowledge she had done something special as I don't see how she will cope with this level of relentless publicity.

I watch this programme for the genuine talent that is found but do wish they would leave the entrants alone and not try to transform them. They are nearly all more attractive and natural as they first appear and usually perform better. The further they progress the more they are changed and spoilt. I don't like the freak element and wish they would weed out those who are going to be mocked before they appear on tv.
    Why? Where's the fun in that?????
    I like to see the genuine talent that is discovered on the likes of these shows but lets face it the "freak element" makes it so much more watchable and enjoyable.

[quote=porshiepoo;556377]
    Butterfly, she DID appear to be not of the full monty on the show. I'm sorry if you do not like the way I say things but it doesn't change me thinking them.

Porshiepoo,as Tbh said already,hypoxia is the reason for her behaviour and this was a factor from the beginning.Her behaviour did not put off people watching her singing,i think it made people like her more.