Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DAYS GONE BY - Shops in Caithness

Default DAYS GONE BY - Shops in Caithness

DAYS GONE BY - Shops in Caithness

Shops in Caithness were never big but a comfortable size comprising a counter, lots of well stocked shelves and an array or goods dotted around the place, mostly in baskets on the floor. A collection of well chosen items would be on the counter, leaving just enough space for you to conduct your business.
    Behind the counter stood the Shopkeeper and one or two others there to help. Everything had to be asked for, and the assistant would find what you’d requested and prepare it right there for all to see. I loved to watch the butter being prepared. It came in a big slab and sat opposite the counter on a big wooden board. It was served in lbs of course, and you could ask for one lb or half lb and towards the end of the week when money was getting scarce even a quarter lb. The assistant would take a guess at the amount to cut off and then weigh it on the scales sitting nearby. All of this was sheer magic to a little child. Then according to accuracy, came the wrapping up. This was done with such style and grace. The paper was blue greaseproof and it was wrapped around the butter snugly, corners folded in neatly and then the little package was presented to the customer with a smile and ‘Anything else?’ So it went on until your order had been completed. All the time the assistant was jotting down the price on a bit of scrap paper and at the end it was tallied up and the money exchanged. Ding Ding went the till !
    That done, the assistant then filled your shopping back, taking great care with what went in first – heavy things at the bottom, light things at the top.

There was little or no packaging as we now know it, only the occasional brown paper bag, and even that was taken care of at home, and returned the following week to be used yet again. My grannie would even iron a paper bag to make it more presentable for the following week.
    The flour came in little linen bags, and these would be washed, hemmed and embroidered with little flowers to make hankies for the children !

My favourite shop was Jack Bremner’s in Huddart Street and E.Campbell’s in Dempster Street. John Cormack’s Fish and Chip shop was something special and Fred Shearer’s
    Clothes shop was for high days only or at Sale time.
    Not only did you get your goods, but all the local gossip too, as there standing in the queue, would be friends and neighbours waiting to hear and tell the lastest.

For headaches, cut knees and anything medical then there was only Walter Sutherland the Chemist. What a saint of a man ! Of course there was no such thing as NHS, and doctor’s had to be paid for. So everyone headed for Walter’s where he bandaged and prescribed and diagnosed right there in his little shop, seldom asking for a penny. He would often give a child a glass of Ribena after he had done the business, and say ‘ Come back in a few days till I see if it’s alright’

I often wonder if there was such a Chemist on the Wick side ? Though I do know of one or two who came all the way over to Pultney for Walter’s treatment.

There are other shops I liked to visit in Wick, but I leave that for another time.

Talking

John Cormack's fish n chips............ where was that? the only ither chippie I mind apart from Houstons wiz Peachy's. Then I AM from e ither side o e county !! Your description wiz excellent , Woolies where to me the counters were HUGE and I got my first golliwog.!
    PEACE LOVE LIGHT & HARMONY

Peachy`s chips................yummy. Used to come home a night midweek from Inverness for a Peachy`s supper and a night at the Rosebank during the tourist season cabaret, then drive home for work the next morning!

Favourite shop for me was Mansons the grocers in Thurso, just as Trinkie described.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by anneoctober View Post
    John Cormack's fish n chips............ where was that? the only ither chippie I mind apart from Houstons wiz Peachy's. Then I AM from e ither side o e county !! Your description wiz excellent , Woolies where to me the counters were HUGE and I got my first golliwog.!
    John Cormacks fish & chips were awesome - coal fired pans and when you went in for a supper he would stoke up with another couple of lumps. The shop was in the ground floor of a large building at the corner of Bexley Terr and Vansittart St that we called the castle.
    Nearby at the bottom of Kinairdie was another chippie run by Pearl & Sandy Munro. Yet another was at the bottom of Breadalbane (now the flower shop) Both opened years later.
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    John Cormacks fish & chips were awesome - coal fired pans and when you went in for a supper he would stoke up with another couple of lumps. The shop was in the ground floor of a large building at the corner of Bexley Terr and Vansittart St that we called the castle.
    Nearby at the bottom of Kinairdie was another chippie run by Pearl & Sandy Munro. Yet another was at the bottom of Breadalbane (now the flower shop) Both opened years later.
    I remember the chipper at the bottom o Breadalbane terrace belonged to Dougie Green, it was a great place for us young ones meeting up, you could sit in and have your chips and listen the juke box, lots of good memories.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    I remember the chipper at the bottom o Breadalbane terrace belonged to Dougie Green, it was a great place for us young ones meeting up, you could sit in and have your chips and listen the juke box, lots of good memories.
    did the late fordie grant not have the chipper in breadalbane and also ran a taxi business from his home across the road???? tony

Exclamation

does anyone mind nicolsons[taties] in the high street,he had a bake house at the backand a dose of bakers served their time there
    he had three horse vans and was about the first to get a motor one
    what was fasinicating in the shop itself was the cashier sat way up in a corner and there was wires leading from the counters it self. all sales were put in a cup thing and was conveyed up to her on these wires
    never seen it before or since tony

Default Nicolsons

Mind shopping with granny in Nicolsons - getting sugar weighed, butter, cheese and ham sliced with same knife, then carefully wrapped in greaseproof. Loose tea straight from the tea chest, flour from the sacks. The dried salted fish hanging above your head as you were being served.
    There was always so much in Nicolsons, used to stand there just looking around, candles, paraffin, sticks, dry goods, vegetables, boot polish, tackets for the boots, kippers, bread, I used to think everything was bought there.
    Cannot remember the money flying across on wire - can think I remember something similar in Fred Shearers but not certain about it, sure there will still be ex Freds employees around who will correct me.
    Can remember the bakery (Ithink), Sheila used to have a hairdressing place up the lane at the back, Adam had his shoe repair in the lane too, steps up the back we were told not to use but of course ignored!
    Next door was Dan Dunnets, then the butchers, clothes shop, then Bowles shop - at least the pavement is much wider now - remember how narrow it used to be at the bottom of the lane.

another shop i mind in wick think it was in grant street/argle square, it was called patty cooks what is it these days.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

i remember going to jack bremners and getting the smells of the cooked meat inthe shop that would be sliced and i used to love to look at the model planes he had on his roof

Default Days gone by - Caithness Shops

Anne October - Maybe you are too young to remember the delights of John Cormack and his Chip Shop, alas you had to make do with Peachy’s which to an honest Backsider did not reach the standard required of the more discerning . John Cormack’s shop was a good walk away, as Stack Rock has described, and it was heavily guarded by the Backside Bairns. A Password was needed to enter the vicinity. Once inside – and it was not easy - you had to answer several poignant questions. Then if you were trusted and accepted you were blindfolded and led to our magical oasis. You would know at once that you had arrived, for the distinctive aroma of ‘Frying tonight’ filled your nostrils, your mouth would begin to water and a craving way beyond your control would take over your being.
    But I wander in the mists of time.

Plumber - You mention the Chippie in Breadalbane Terrace. You’re right of course, though, for reasons already mentioned, I had no need to go there.

Tighsonas4 – Yes indeed, I remember the money carousel. What was it called? Several shops in Wick had such a system. I remember it being a tube where the money went in, and a criss-crossing of wires near the ceiling, which led to a little ‘office’ where the cashier sat all ready to give the change and return the tube to the appropriate counter. There was another system, maybe in Fred’s, where it seemed run on suction! Can this be right?

Pat – What a list you gave, nothing was left out! I’d forgotten about the paraffin and the kindling sticks, and yet that was a most important item on any shopping list. In Jack Bremners, you could smell the paraffin as soon as you entered the door, and as Rangers reminds us, it was mingled with the delicious smell of sliced meat ! ( How often did they wash their hands I wonder?) The meat was lined up behind the counter and Ham was usually on a special dish with a stand. The same knife was used for all the meats, but the ham appeared to prove difficult to carve because of it’s shape I suppose.
    The result was you got a couple of nice thin slices and one or two thick dollops.
    Biscuits came in big tins, usually lined up in front of the counter. You could purchase as many as you wished, by the lb. My favourite was Fig Roll, or Garibaldi, or Vienna triangles, but ussualy it was plain old custard creams. After the War came the return of the Ayton Sandwich, which was a double chocolate filled with choc cream, and they were big. Years later they introduced a smaller version for the weaker hearted.
    Brasso, was often on my mother’s list, and boy, did she rub and rub our letter box till it shone !

Rangers – You reminded us of the smells. It hit you as soon as you opened the door. As we’ve mentioned, the meats, paraffin, and fish, but there was also the soap which was never wrapped and many other smelly things.

I’m sure most of the shops at the time had plain wooden floors with a covering of sawdust. There was always a fair amount of brass around the place, gleaming. The windows looked good with an array of Grocery Goodies to tempt each and every housewife. Heaven help any shopkeeper who sold anything which did not come up to standard – and remember there were no fridges at that time. Bread had to be utterly fresh, and everyone knew when the Bread Man came with his delivery.
    Vegetables came according to the season and most were grown locally. Tomatoes came from the south and that was a big day when they were ‘ in ‘ Scotch tomatoes were really delicious, and were only eaten during the summer months when they were available.

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    DAYS GONE BY - Shops in Caithness

Not only did you get your goods, but all the local gossip too, as there standing in the queue, would be friends and neighbours waiting to hear and tell the lastest.
    How many people nowadays would have the time or patience to wait to be served. I think it's sad that we don't have these types of shops any more. Everyone now travels to supermarkets in their cars, where they push shopping trolleys around, picking up whichever items they need and then go through the checkout one at a time, before driving home again and closing the door to the world. There is no personal service in these supermarkets. No shopkeeper getting to know his/her customers by name. And because people come from far and wide to shop at the supermarkets, it's a lot less common for friends and neighbours to come across each other during their weekly shop like they would in a local town or village shop. Modern shopping methods are all very impersonal and anonymous and I personally think this is one of the main reasons why the sense of community seems to have almost disappeared from modern life.

If the smaller shops were to open up again in the centre of towns and villages, shops like grocers, butchers, greengrocers, bakers etc, and people were encouraged to use these rather than travel to supermarkets, (aside from saving on the pollution from the car journeys) the heart of towns and villages could be revived with people walking from one shop to another to buy their provisions, bumping into friends and neighbours on the way and stopping to chat. Everyone would become more familiar with those who lived beyond their own row of houses. They would get to know who was who and whose kids are whose. They would get to know the general pattern of the comings and goings round the town or village and so would be better able to spot anything out of place - strangers up to no good or whatever.

Personally, I would love to run a greengrocers shop, particularly concentrating on selling local produce from farms and smallholdings around here, but somehow I doubt that there would be enough custom with so many supermarkets in Thurso and Wick.

Default Days Gone By ...

Yes of course most busy folk would not have the time to stand in a queue waiting to be served, but in Days gone By, few women went out to work, and the shopping became part of their social scene. It was there they met friends and neighbours, both in the shop and en route, and all the latest news was exchanged.
    Now, if anyone stops to chat in the aisle of a supermarket, other customers get upset and huff and puff because they are in such a hurry and wish to get on with their shopping…Quite right too of course. The whole scene has changed.

Once the Market Place was a place for meeting, now it’s a mad dash to get your groceries and on to the next thing.
    I think it’s a pity too, that food, clothes, shoes and all the rest are in the same shop. No longer is a trip to a shoe shop a treat. Mothers seem to grab a dress for a child as they pass by the rail, in my day I loved a trip to a dress shop for such an item. But I can understand it’s a great help to a busy young mother.

The Library is not a shop as such, but it I’m going to put it under the same heading just now. And how mine has changed ! When borrowing or returning books, I have to check them into a computer myself and get a ticket from a machine. No longer is this done at the counter with a charming person to serve you. I can be sure whenever I go to the Library I seldom have reason to speak to anyone, no Thank You or even a smile now.
    It’s become the saddest part of my week. I know the Librarians don’t like this system either, they too enjoyed a little chat about a particular book with the customer .
    In Days Gone By, going to the Library was never a jolly occasion, especially when you were returning a book late, and you got a black mark and a good telling off. Over the years it became much more relaxed and folk did stop to recommend a book or ask about another, and children were welcomed regardless of noise !

Trinkie

Exclamation

now that i can see there must be many coming up in years lol
    does anyone remember crowes[think it was sinclair brothers] opposite side of high st just past the entrance to back bridge street
    there was either two or three steps to go up which ran the whole length of the shop
    my first job was in jean reids butchers. 8shillings a week and shop closed at nine at night on saturday night as did most shops
    changed days tony

Default Days gone By...

Tighsonas4 I don’t remember Crowes in Back Bridge Street, most of our grocery shopping was done nearer home. However I do remember a Hairdresser down a Lane near Back Bridge Street. When we were at that side of town, it was usually for shoes or clothes. Dan Dunnett of course for shoes, and I remember old Mr Dunnett with his glasses perched on top of his head doing his utmost to help. He could have been wearing a big dark apron – not too sure. Bill Mowat on Bridge Street for my first ‘costume’ once I was a teenager ! Looking back at some photos, I notice how old we used to dress at that time, like little wifies ! Charlie Begg’s in the High Street sold fabric and household linen. I would buy a remnant from him and quickly ‘run it up’ for the dance on Saturday night.

On the corner of Bridge Street and High Street was Cabrelli’s Coffee Shop which became a favourite meeting place. Old Mrs Cabrelli was often serving and looked so elegant with her white hair piled up on top. She was a tiny lady and could scarcely reach up to get a big jar of sweeties down from the shelf. How sedately they were weighed and put into a paper bag then handed over the counter with a smile. This was where many folk met for coffee and a chat especially at weekends. The youngsters would sit upstairs and drink their coffee or milkshakes and make a noise. I loved to watch the coffee being made, mine always had milk which was heated in a hissing, steaming machine that made a dreadful noise. It was on the go all the time, screaming and spitting as a froth appeared on the top.
    I often had a Jacob Orange Cream biscuit, but sometimes if I could afford a tomato sandwich that would be made at the end of the counter. The tomatoes would be sliced so thinly and oozing out over of the edges, but with little or nothing in the middle !
    The grown ups sat downstairs and on Saturday nights a lot of country folk came in for a warm drink before setting off home again on the bus. They would be laden with shopping bags from all the nearby shops.

During the summer when Charlie Hercher was in town, the Coffee shop was full and sometimes you had to wait for a table ! You could hear snatches of conversation about the Side Shows and the fun folk were having. A few would be clutching a soft toy or gift they had won at the Fair. Secretly some of the men would add something from a bottle to their warm drink – no I don’t mean Ronaldson’s Pasteurised milk ! Then there would be much laughing and guffawing and slapping of backs ‘Losh man, ye didna say that – I never heard the lek !’ and off they would go again ! There’s no doubt the walls of old Cabrelli’s could tell many a tale.

to step back in time visit lybster stores or latheronwheel po

trinkie- good post-j.cormacks-houstans-peacheys (he was good for rude jokes) as teenagers!
    Aye fordie grants right enough.
    Mind nicolsans -next to the bank-your money was put in a cup an wired across to the cashier an change came back to you!!! unbelievable
    Shoe shop next door-dan dunnets?mind getting 'tacketty boots' as a youngster there.
    Barbara Bains in back st.???(I think)the absolutely most distively smelly shop in Wick-georgous.
    Cabrellie's coffie shop-Charlie Herchers!!Super

Exclamation

trinkie im not making a very good job of explaining thinks but will have another go
    crowes shop was in high st running from shearer and millers to near the entrance to back bridge street
    the building is still there but it is council run and likely owned the steps i mentioned are no longer there now but the shop was the size of the buildings as it stands nowmaybe im getting dottled thou tony

Default canisbay PO

I'm quite young and don't remember any of the above shops but the Canisbay PO is certainly a step back in time, nice little place.

riddells toy shop in coach rd

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast