Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiz 5th March

Wink Quiz 5th March

OK... 5th march for the next quiz evening (20:30 uk time). If I were you and planning to be at the quiz, I would polish up on my latin and all latin based languages.... ;-)

I hope it will be fun. Be there and enjoy yourselves
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

And here was me thinking Connie's Quiz was hard - lol! Now I won't be able to sleep all week worrying about my latin (or lack of). Will dredge the memory bank & see what I can up with for next week

A latin scholar as quizmaster! I'm dead already. The questions from our 17 year old member, Apocalyse, now seem less daunting.

Just remember that rollerhockey is played on rollerblades. Steet hockey is played on shoes.

Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro Ottawa mori

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro Ottawa mori

What do you mean, charm and grace live, Ottawa dies?
    Last edited by canuck; 27-Feb-06 at 02:56.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    What do you mean, charm and grace live, Ottawa dies?
    Eh?

That's not what it says. It's a (slightly modified) quote from one of the best-known British poems of the twentieth century. If I know it, then it must be well-known.

Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro Ottawa mori
    Thank you for the new clarity in your last post. I went searching and found this on a website. The poet is Wildrid Owen.

"For those of you whose Latin isn't so hot -- or didn't learn this in high school: the title of the poem is derived from the adage dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, which is also the finale of the poem. It means "How sweet and decorous it is to die for one's country". "

My Latin is less than "not so hot." It is non-existent. In my high school days it was an "option" subject. So while the real students were doing painful stuff to verbs, I was either curling or growing things on petri dishes.

I appreciate your words of support, now that I know what they mean.

You are correct to think that I should know the poem because of its connection to Remembrance Day. Unfortunately, "dulce and decorum" is not used in Canada, rather, for Remembrance Day, we normally read Canadian John McRae's "In Flander's Fields." Now that we have that cleared up, c.orgers let's all have a great week, but keep your Latin books handy, you who know how to use them. Some of us will stick to the ceilidh side of the quiz gathering on Sunday.
    Last edited by canuck; 27-Feb-06 at 12:53.

Thank you DrSzin & Canuck for bringing back to my mind the days when I studied this poem for my Higher English exam. I think the poet's name was Wilfred, though

I'll be on the ceilidh side of the quizroom too, Canuck - we can pass round the glasses of fruit & the (healthy, non-fattening) snacks

Damnant quodnon intelligunt, eh Ju! lol

Come on you guys, you're all familiar with words like Vice versa, Post mortem, Sic, Ad hoc -- all Latin.

Should be a good one. Maybe I'll actually get a few points this time??? lol.
    Although it is as much to do with speed typing as it is knowledge.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Latin languages?

Non Metuo
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Eh?

That's not what it says. It's a (slightly modified) quote from one of the best-known British poems of the twentieth century. If I know it, then it must be well-known.

Wilfred Owen....had to do it at school
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo

Come on you guys, you're all familiar with words like Vice versa, Post mortem, Sic, Ad hoc -- all Latin.

Porshiepoo you give me hope. My favorite Latin phrase is "in hunc effectum".
    It is used in church law to mean "for this one and only purpose."
    Last edited by canuck; 01-Mar-06 at 01:49.

Sorry I will not be able to attend tonights quiz, will be entertaining two furreners from Engerland sic Lizz and her hubby. Have a good time all
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Sorry to read that Golach. We shall miss you. Have a good visit with your company.

I have the same excuse as Golach.

With golach and DrSzin out partying and acameron tied up eating sticky birthday cake, Moira and I have a chance this afternoon (yes, your evening). However, the lines from Canada are very slow again today, so I'm putting all my hopes on Moira.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    With golach and DrSzin out partying and acameron tied up eating sticky birthday cake, Moira and I have a chance this afternoon (yes, your evening). However, the lines from Canada are very slow again today, so I'm putting all my hopes on Moira.
    So that the playing field is level, there are questions that do not rely solely on quick typing.....
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_
    So that the playing field is level, there are questions that do not rely solely on quick typing.....
    Do these questions rely on quick thinking then _Ju_ ?? I fear I have had it on all counts tonight - BB connection is s l o w , the phone line must be frozen - lol, & I never could rely on the brain too much See you all in a little while then - apart from the boozers in Auld Reekie that is - hope you all have a good time

How did the quiz go? I had visitors, so couldn't make it. I did try to get rid of them but by the time I got rid of them it was too late!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    How did the quiz go? I had visitors, so couldn't make it. I did try to get rid of them but by the time I got rid of them it was too late!!
    Another good night Connie - I did wonder where you were. You should have taken your visitors to the computer & had them help you with the answers! We had red wine & cake tonight (the cake was for ACameron's birthday)

Everyone was complaining about the slow connection tonight - seemed worse than normal - must be the weather! Quiz was won by Highlander (well actually Fluff, her daughter) so Fluff is running next week's quiz. Canuck came a very respectable & close second with 6 marks. WD Canuck Hope to see you all next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast