Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westie free to good home

Default Westie free to good home

I have a 4 year old male westie who I unfortunatly have to rehome as I've recently had another child and dont have enough time for him anymore.

He is generally in good health although he does have a heart murmer that has never caused any bother and has the well known westie bad skin which he has medicated shampoo for. He has been dressed due to the murmer as we thought it unfair for breeding. Please pm if you are interested in him.

Didnt you think when you took your Westie on that you would have more children?It seems a bit unfair on the poor animal for you to give him away now.Can you not employ a dog walker to give him exercise?At 4yrs old he is bound to pine for the family he knew.Please reconsider,a dog is for life not a parcel to pass around.

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    I have a 4 year old male westie who I unfortunatly have to rehome as I've recently had another child and dont have enough time for him anymore.

He is generally in good health although he does have a heart murmer that has never caused any bother and has the well known westie bad skin which he has medicated shampoo for. He has been dressed due to the murmer as we thought it unfair for breeding. Please pm if you are interested in him.
    this seems really sad, he is only a little dog, surly they dont take up to much time, i have 4 kids the youngetst 1 is only 4 months and we have a collie/staffy cross, and we manage him fine, a pet shouldnt be taken on in a whim them given away, they are members of the family aswell, if you do go thrrough with this then i hope you find him a loving home, where he can live the rest of his life without the risk of being dumped again.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

A dog walking service is being advertised on the general forum - maybe that would be worth considering?

A pet is part of the family, the same as children. Surely it's a case of finding a way to make room in your family for your dog, along with your children, rather than trying to get rid of your dog? Children love animals, so why not involve them in looking after your dog - it would teach them responsibilty as well as giving them the fun of growing up with pets.

oh dear!!
    i wilna judge you on thinking you dont have time,but have you thought this through?
    im only saying,as i dont know you or your circumstances,that you might regret it later.i know it can be hard when you have a baby and you are tired and think you will never get back to normal,you will,and you might just relay on your dogie for some much needed 'me time'!!,you know,at night on this nice light nights,leave the kids,with dad or someone and take yourself and your dog a walk?
    i made a hasty decision when i had new baby and sold my horse,and i miss her badly,so think it through,and kids do love animals,i think they should all have one,unless the dog isnt too good with them,but if its great with kids then you will manage!
    i know lots of new mums that are in pyjamas all day as they have no time,but a dog will get you out and about.none of mine are well trained or anything,i have 3,and they all walk well with the pram,sometimes take the old pony a walk too,do get strange looks then though

binbob Guest

again..it is a difficult one.i think far too manydogs[ and other animals] are just subjects of what one fancies until something else comes along.

i hardly think anyone will take a wee westie with these problems...that is a lot to ask.

if u really wish to part with him,then i do think it would be best to go back to the breeder..............to westie rescue ..............or ultimately do the bravest thing...........put him to sleep.

he is not a parcel to pass along.i read today that balmore is full,with a waiting list .

OR get the kids adopted!!!!

that would be my choice..i prefer my dogs to most kids...

well all have reasons for rehoming animals, but one because you have kids is a bit on the lame side.I rehomed a dog not because i had kids but because he was gonna get himself killed or worse cause an accident, but because a new baby comes along, is not realy a good eason. I have kids and dog, staffie x collie and manage fine with them all. Take the kids with you when you walk the dog. good for all.

Hope the dog gets a good home.

Hope you get your poor wee dog rehomed soon - he deserves somewhere that he will be loved for the rest of his life and where he will not be an inconvenience to be disposed of when the going gets tough

Porr little Westie being put out of the only family he knows. Please think this through as your wee doggy could be such a asset and friend to your children.
    think of how you baby will feel when older and learns what happened to a family pet because of his/her arrival.
    Please think a little more......baby and doggy walks are wonderful............

Threads like this one breaks my heart.Our canine friends are so loyal to us humans they deserve the same back.As for the skin condition on a Westie ,this can be cured by giving him nothing that a human can eat such as dairy,pasta,bread,bacon,chocolates.If he is kept to a diet that is strictly for dogs his exzema will gradually go away.It's the salt's,preservatives,stabilizers and god knows what else in our foods that can make dogs ill.

I have twice considered rehoming my two dogs in the past yr but cannot do it it is not fair on them and to use a baby as an excuse am sorry but it is wrong x

Default people in glass houses

People who arent interested and dont know the whole story should just butt out and keep their opinions to themselves!!!! This is not a descision that has come very easy and has been made with discussions with vets and people with dog training experience. The reason we are looking to rehome the dog is because he isn't happy and isn't coping with the arrival of no2 not because we cant be bothered with him!!

As for his skin, do not make judgements that we are making his skin bad. He has been on every special diet that you can think of I have been at the vet and had neumorus tests done to try to identify causes for it. He never gets any form of human food!! Sometimes westie bad skin is a form of hayfever on dogs. If you had a westie and had been speaking to the vets yourself you would be aware of things like this.

You should all be ashamed of yourselfs for judging a situation that you know nothing about!

Default westie

JWM,on your first post you said you have had another child and dont have enough time for him anymore.
    On your second you say the reason you are giving him away is because he is not coping with the new arrival.
    Would it not be better to give it more time and see if the dog settles down having gotten used to the new arrival.Maybe patience is needed here for the sake of the dog dont you think.

For the record i do have a Westie,4yrs old,and i am well aware of the skin conditions that they suffer from.My vet informed me that the main cause of exzema is because of giving the dog human food.He also said he could tell by looking at my dog if i ever gave him human food. Because of that i have never given him anything but dogfood and his skin is tip top condition.
    Nobody on this thread accused you of making his skin bad.This is the Pet's Corner and there is a lot of dog lovers on here.Most of them have said that they would not give there dogs away no matter what because they are part of the family.That's just how they feel,this is a forum and they expressed that.If your dog is unhappy now,what's he gonna feel like being handed over to a stranger?
    I do hope you find a solution to your problem and if you do give him away i hope he will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post

How would u feel if your parents rehomed you when u was 4 because they were 2 busy to look after you would u like it.?
    And as for what butterfly has said about a dog being part of the family is 100% correct
    Last edited by EDDIE; 04-Apr-09 at 08:02.

OMG. I wasn't going to reply to this but I have to cos it gets me so angry that this type of thread ALWAYS provokes this response.

So what are all you supposed animal lovers saying then? That this owner should keep this dog regardless of the fact that they are no longer in a position to do what is right for the dog? He should be left in a house all day without walks? Or even left to wander on his own to get his exercise?
    These scenarios would be much better for the interest of the animal than it would to find it a loving caring home that devote the time, energy and money it needs would it?
    My question would be, who's the selfish one really - the responsible dog owner who admits the dog needs more than they can now give? Or the people on here who have expressed the opinion that the owner should keep the dog regardless of whether it may suffer in doing so?

It's alright for people to say 'find the time' or 'it's only small, how much time can it take' or 'get a dog walker', but if a person now finds themselves in a position that means they simply cannot do this, then a decision needs to be made on behalf of the one that will suffer - the dog.

Lets all remember here also, the dog is now 4 years old, there's no way that this animal has not made an impact on the hearts of these owners. It will be a terrible loss for them, but if they are prepared to put the animals needs first then who are we to judge?
    There are many many people out there who hoard animals and keep them in dreadful conditions because they cannot bear to part with them but cannot provide for them either. Is that scenario a better life for the dog?

Good luck on finding a home for your dog JWM.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    JWM,on your first post you said you have had another child and dont have enough time for him anymore.
    On your second you say the reason you are giving him away is because he is not coping with the new arrival.
    Would it not be better to give it more time and see if the dog settles down having gotten used to the new arrival.Maybe patience is needed here for the sake of the dog dont you think.

For the record i do have a Westie,4yrs old,and i am well aware of the skin conditions that they suffer from.My vet informed me that the main cause of exzema is because of giving the dog human food.He also said he could tell by looking at my dog if i ever gave him human food. Because of that i have never given him anything but dogfood and his skin is tip top condition.
    Nobody on this thread accused you of making his skin bad.This is the Pet's Corner and there is a lot of dog lovers on here.Most of them have said that they would not give there dogs away no matter what because they are part of the family.That's just how they feel,this is a forum and they expressed that.If your dog is unhappy now,what's he gonna feel like being handed over to a stranger?
    I do hope you find a solution to your problem and if you do give him away i hope he will be happy.
    If the dog is unhappy now it is because there is an imbalance in the pack, not because it feels unloved or pushed out. They are human emotions, do not transfer those onto a pet.
    The only way to make this dog "happy" ( a human term. 'Stable' is more a canine term) is to integrate it into a pack that is stable and provides everything a dog needs.
    Sitting at home being loved is not enough for a dog, only a human, and to assume that re homing your dog means you must somehow not love it is completely wrong.
    It takes more love from a human to admit they cannot do right by a family pet and find someone who can than it does to "just keep it" and ignore the fact that the dog is not getting what it needs and is therefore suffering.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I PM'd you JWM.

i agree that it takes a lot to admit that you arent able to attend to your pets needs and try and find it a good home, but im sure that the rsponse to this is because the reason given is that because of a new baby the owner doesnt have time.
    of course a baby must come first,and i know that this can make an owner feel guilty,and you might just look at the dog and try to imagine what its feeling,and humanise it too much.
    but its realy not that difficult to get out of the house with a baby you know!wrap baby up and get a routine,it will do everyone good!
    i know people that have kids and honestly cant even manage to do shopping or housework or even get out of their pjs till lunchtime,and i know some days are harder,but some people just need to get on with it instead of using having a baby as an excuse not to manage to do anything!!
    by saying that im not having a go as i dont know the owner here,her first post though,did sound like this was the case.
    some people are just lazy and cant seem to do anything for themselves though.
    an ex friend of mine had a dog that was her life,it was actually a bit OTT,but she had baby and the dog had to go,prob as she went round spraying everything with dettox and she couldnt do that to the dog,her kid always picked up every bug going,so i think having a dog is a healthy thing.

Actually I am a parent that is out walking most of the day with my dog the problems that we are having is when we are at home. I know lots of parents also who are like that but I most certainly am not one of them. I have always made sure that my dog gets more than adequate exercise.

Unfortunately there are times that you cannot take the dog if your are going shopping or to toddlers and things like that and that is the only time he is left alone. He has company nearly all day eveyday and when I am at work my parents take the dog as well as the kids so he doesnt feel left out. he is not a dog that likes to be left alone.

What right do any of you have to attack this person the way you have?
    This forum is not just about your right to state that you disagree with someone. Yes, there are times that when that kind of response is requested, this is not one of them.
    This person has advertised on this forum to re home a much loved family pet. Quite frankly, her reasons for doing so is absolutely none of our business unless one of us is interested in taking the dog.
    If you do not require info on the animal with a possibility of being interested in homing it then why say anything at all? Do you think such hurtful comments have helped this family in any way at all? Did anyone ask for advice on opinion as to whether it was cruel to give it away or not?

Perhaps you should all go back to your perfect little pack of dogs and wallow in your profound experience of all matters canine and human and comfort yourself with the fact that you have never and will never make such a hard decision.
    The rest of us can all but hope and pray that such wisdom and perfection falls upon our shoulders.

In the meantime, while we all catch up with y'all, stop attacking this person.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast