Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: snow bunting

Default snow bunting

Hi not into bird-watching in a big way, but we've had a snow bunting here at Strathy around our bird table for the last four days; is this usual?

they would be heading north to their breeding grounds around this time so to see one "stocking up" before its flight over would be usual but have never seen one for myself yet lol. Any chance you managed to get a picture of it.
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Default snow bunting

Most beautiful birds, you usually get flocks of them around sheep troughs, here is a photo i took a few years ago.

Default snow bunting

Ooops not a very good one that, im sure i have a photo of a flock of them, will try and find it.

That's a great picture highlander and I'm surwe I recognise the stone dyke and the barbed wire and the field in the background too.

Lovely picture H, yes plz try to find your flock picture up.

Default A bit late now but.....

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    they would be heading north to their breeding grounds around this time so to see one "stocking up" before its flight over would be usual but have never seen one for myself yet lol. Any chance you managed to get a picture of it.
    Flocks occur in the winter on the beaches, Dunnet, Reiss, Murkle etc.

Can also be seen on some mountain tops during the summer, eg Cairngorm or Ben Nevis, where they are quite tame dodging between people.