Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: I'm being pro-active, finally......my names.........

Default I'm being pro-active, finally......my names.........

In Caithness, I am researching......... main lines: McDonald/MacDonald/Macdonald, Latheron in mid 1700s, and Halkirk/Watten area (mainly) later, and Gunn, Barnetson, Hunter, Sutherland, Smith and more.......... and Sinclair, Canisbay initially, Dunnet later, and Mowat McKenzie,Dunnet,Nicolson etc.

I'm stuck going backwards, so I'm expanding sideways and would welcome any connections. One can never have too many 'cousins'.

Siobhan Guest

A number of your names sound awfully like my names! Mine seem to be in opposite spots however....but, one can't be too positive about anything! I have McDonald/MacDonald/Macdonald, Watten in mid 1700s, and Latheron area later, Sutherland, and Sinclair, Nicolson & some others. My McDonald in the Watten area was supposed to have many brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan
    A number of your names sound awfully like my names! Mine seem to be in opposite spots however....but, one can't be too positive about anything! I have McDonald/MacDonald/Macdonald, Watten in mid 1700s, and Latheron area later, Sutherland, and Sinclair, Nicolson & some others. My McDonald in the Watten area was supposed to have many brothers.
    I'm only saying Latheron for my McDonald because he married in Breackachie, Strath of Dunbeath in 1785....he could have been from anywhere. I'm making nothing of finding his birth using the Scottish naming patterns.

I have a tree (not completely up-to-date) at http://www.oddquine.co.uk/Genealogy/ maybe you can see something on it that might ring bells.

I can always hope!