Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Compact speaker system for TV

Default Compact speaker system for TV

I am looking for a surround sound system for my TV but don't want speakers all around the walls.

I had a look at Soundbars but confused by conflicting reviews.

Like the look of the Bose Cinemate but it is £450 and not sure whether it would be worth it.

Can anyone advise me on this please as have a headache!

Thanks!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I am looking for a surround sound system for my TV but don't want speakers all around the walls.

I had a look at Soundbars but confused by conflicting reviews.

Like the look of the Bose Cinemate but it is £450 and not sure whether it would be worth it.

Can anyone advise me on this please as have a headache!

Thanks!
    the cheapest option would be to get surround system with speakers around the walls and hiding the wires but you can get 1 big speaker that sits underneath your tv and gives out surround system feel but its up in the £400 mark the only way u will no if its good or not is to buy it and try it.
    Sometimes when u go surfing the internet for reviews just about every product someone will put a negative review on it and makes everthing confusing sometimes it can be a bad thing reading reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    the cheapest option would be to get surround system with speakers around the walls and hiding the wires but you can get 1 big speaker that sits underneath your tv and gives out surround system feel but its up in the £400 mark the only way u will no if its good or not is to buy it and try it.
    Sometimes when u go surfing the internet for reviews just about every product someone will put a negative review on it and makes everthing confusing sometimes it can be a bad thing reading reviews.
    I agree with you re reviews Eddie!

I take it that you mean a soundbar for sitting underneath the TV? I have had a look at a Yamaha YSP 600 which looks quite good. Will need to save up!

Liz have a looky at this forum im on. You may get enough info from looking through the sections or you could sign up just like here and post a thread which will attract a lot more advice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    Liz have a looky at this forum im on. You may get enough info from looking through the sections or you could sign up just like here and post a thread which will attract a lot more advice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
    Cheers Octane but I am already a member of AV Forums. Afraid most of them are just too techy for me and I can't understand what they are talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    See if you can get your hands on the March (?) issue of Which Magazine:

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home-cinema-systems

Most systems did have multiple speakers, but some were quite unobtrusive, such some of the top models:
    JVC-TH-D5
    Samsung HT-X250
    Philips HTS3154

There a few which used 3 speakers, rather than the usual 5, but these tended to have very low scores for "surround" quality.

Someone at work tried to sell me a surround sound system. I got as far as looking at the 4 main speakers and stuck it all back in the box - they towered over the TV. Must have been about 3 feet high!

JimBews

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jimbews View Post
    See if you can get your hands on the March (?) issue of Which Magazine:

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home-cinema-systems

Most systems did have multiple speakers, but some were quite unobtrusive, such some of the top models:
    JVC-TH-D5
    Samsung HT-X250
    Philips HTS3154

There a few which used 3 speakers, rather than the usual 5, but these tended to have very low scores for "surround" quality.

Someone at work tried to sell me a surround sound system. I got as far as looking at the 4 main speakers and stuck it all back in the box - they towered over the TV. Must have been about 3 feet high!

JimBews
    Thanks Jim!

I will have a look for this. I have to say I really like the look of soundbars as they just sit under your TV. The Boss Cinemate looks really good as well but costs over £400!

See if you can get your hands on the March (?) issue of Which Magazine
    Oops - sorry - just checked and its the April issue.

I think the fullest report is actually on their website, but you have to be a member to see that. I think that is where I saw a reference to systems with wireless rear speakers (if its the wiring that puts you off).

JimBews

Thumbs up

Oops - sorry - just checked and its the April issue.

I think the fullest report is actually on their website, but you have to be a member to see that. I think that is where I saw a reference to systems with wireless rear speakers (if its the wiring that puts you off).

JimBews
    Ok Jim. Cheers!

I just won't wires all over the walls. I have cats so could be a problem!