Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Slumdog Millionaire

Default Slumdog Millionaire

The OH and I finally saw this film tonight. What a corker, was gripped throughout the whole thing. The whole story, the way the told etc.. fantastic.

If you get the chance I strongly recommend you see it!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    The OH and I finally saw this film tonight. What a corker, was gripped throughout the whole thing. The whole story, the way the told etc.. fantastic.

If you get the chance I strongly recommend you see it!

i agree with you 100% its prob one of my fav films now
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Default my own take - several weeks old

Some films seem to cry out for a first viewing at 'The Cinema' ...'Saving Private Ryan' ...'Titanic' ...and into this category slides 'Slumdog Millionaire'...not so much a film as a cinematic experience.
    The theatre was cold...outside it was yet another cheerless Lancashire afternoon with an increasingly bitter wind that carved lumps off you as it went straight through. We arrived a little too early at the third of our choice of local 'multpilex' paying just over a tenner to get two of us in out of the cold.

Any road up back to Slumdog.. - - you have to go and see this film if...
    a) you care a fig about people, no matter their skin tone.
    b)you like Indian music
    c) Don't believe the stories about this beinbg a 'feelgood' movie because it isn't. I'd not have gone to the trouble of going to the cinema to see a 'feelgood' film...I'm happily grumpy much of the time. Those who think this is 'feelgood' lack a social conscience...assuming they have a brain in which to house one.
    d)You enjoy quizzes
    e)like most people with an ounce of human decency you enjoy the triumph of good over evil.

This is no 'Mamma-Mia' it won't plaster a silly grin over your face nor will it give you good dreams.

The scenes of the aforementioned slums are an affront to decency. Acre upon acre of corrugated tin rooves which shelter millions of the helpless and the truly hopeless. For hope must be in short supply in such a terrible place. The high buildings which are rising alongside the shanty might offer some of course...a job in a call centre as a 'phone-basher' perhaps.
    From such a hive of overcrowded industry comes our hero. In unlikely guise.

The film is a series of flashbacks detailing Jamal's life so far. And what a life it had been. I'll not spoil it for you but he somehow survived childhood with only mental scars and many of his contempories were not so lucky. His big brother Salem had a hand in said survival and the love of his like Latika drove him on. The evil that men do is well depicted. It doesn't stop the lad arriving on the telly facing a 20,000,000 million Rupee question before a 90,000,000 audience. Add to the mix a quiz host who makes Chris Tarrant look as innocent and charming as er...Michael Miles anyone?
    Any fantasy can engineer the outcome. This one was unlikely , but apt. Two hours plus flew by...
    A decidedly human story in a place where humanity teems, and the currency of survival is a little less of a lottery now that prosperity for some is knocking at the door but they have a long, long way to go. This was an eye opener and puts the credit crunch in perspective.
    If you DO go then DO NOT LEAVE before the end credits have rolled.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was robbed. Robbed I tell you.

I would love to have seen it, but didn't like to go on my own. Cant wait for the dvd to come out, it will probably be ages, but i am so looking forward to seeing it.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    There was much to admire about 'Ben Button' but I think the Boyle film outstripped it in almost every department.
    Both are first class in their different ways though.

I think the dvd's of both will be out in the early summer. I look forward to copious amounts of extras !

I really enjoyed SDM - saw it on Saturday. Some parts of it are pretty raw but I loved the way it worked with the flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I agree..

Slumdog was a good film, but i just dont get all the hype about it. Benjamin Button was a far better watch IMHO
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Thumbs up

Finally got round to watching it tonight and this was a film I knew absolutely nothing about, it was not at all what I expected and I quite enjoyed it although I did lose interest a bit in the middle, glad it had a happy ending! I have to agree with Honey though, not quite sure what all the hype was about but 10/10 for originality though.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!