Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wick is a good place

Ken yin hoosie on the top o' Spittal Hill,weel it's nae there

Best thing aboot Wick is the road to Thursa.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Default thats

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherbigin View Post
    Best thing aboot Wick is the road to Thursa.
    thats very original dont think thats be said before,

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

For those of us who travel here, there and everywhere, Wick and Caithness are a blessing to come home to. The fact that you have to travel a distance from Inverness to get here you feel that you are "escaping" back to sanity. When I am in London it's 100mph pace of life with no sense of being. When in any of the places to the south I have noticed that there is a fundamental difference between towns similar in size to Wick and Wick itself - Wick is comfortably out of the way!

Solitude but still civilisation.

WBG

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    For those of us who travel here, there and everywhere, Wick and Caithness are a blessing to come home to. The fact that you have to travel a distance from Inverness to get here you feel that you are "escaping" back to sanity. When I am in London it's 100mph pace of life with no sense of being. When in any of the places to the south I have noticed that there is a fundamental difference between towns similar in size to Wick and Wick itself - Wick is comfortably out of the way!

WBG

yip dead on there boyagee, i love seeing the sign for wick, i always feel a wee bit homesick when not in wick

Default Good old Wick

Love this thread Fran,something positive for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by riggerboy View Post
    i love seeing the sign for wick
    I agree as long as it is in my rear view mirror!

Ken yin hoosie on the top o' Spittal Hill,weel it's nae there

Quote Originally Posted by ks View Post

C,mon ks,no need for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ks View Post

There's alway's one

Being down in Lancashire for a short break, it was nice today to take our grandkids to Cuerden Vally; an old estate open to the public with gravel paths and ponds where we could feed the ducks.

Beautiful and sunny, just a few other folks around, peaceful.

That was until 6 yobs about 18-20 years of age came charging up behind us with three large out of control dogs. These yobs were yelling obscenities at each other and throwing lumps of wood at the ducks on the pond, their mutts stopped and did their bit on the path which were left.. they carried on their destructive way, and were gone. What to do? well I might think about remonstrating with a couple of yobs, but with a three year old and a 5 year old, makes it difficult.
    All I know is my other half saying; "thank God we're going home next week" (44 miles from Wick)

I think know matter where you live its alwas nice to go home.
    I dont particularly like living in Portree but I love my home.

Wick is a lovely place but its just to far to "pop" over.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

The people are fine, it's where you live that I find dull, dank and depressing, and to be honest Thurso isn't much better. As a whole though, Caithness is the best place I've lived. When I lived in Thurso I always found a day in Wick was a day wasted. Sorry if you don't like what I've posted but that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    There's alway's one
    You Wickers can't take a joke!

Default Wick

When we moved to Wick 3 years ago I thought we would not come to terms with the wind and rain, but either the weather has improved or we have grown into it as when ever I go south now I always look forward to coming home.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Its not a bad place really,its what you make off it.It has its numpties the same as anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post

WBG
    Wick (and Caithness in general) is peaceful and out of the way at the moment, but the more big supermarkets that come up here the more the way of life will gradually change. Local shops and businesses will be squeezed out
    and we'll all end out having to buy processed food and mass produced, sub-standard products imported from the other side of the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12